Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Mass IT Outage

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Good advert for Linux / open source software.
which no executive will pay any attention to.

problem here isn't really open/closed source, we've allowed IT vendors to take over and push their software updates without intervention, in the name of convenience.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Love how Microsoft are getting the blame but actually it looks like it was a poor update from a firm meant to stop Malware bricking PC's that has managed to... well... brick PC's!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Love how Microsoft are getting the blame but actually it looks like it was a poor update from a firm meant to stop Malware bricking PC's that has managed to... well... brick PC's!
Who wouldn’t exist and be so prominent if Microsoft could secure their own systems. Ironic really 😂

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Do share!
IMG_6177.png

I enjoyed this one… well the renaming part.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems like there was a major Azure outage overnight as well, unclear if directly related or coincidence.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
So am I understanding this right, some kind of automatic update overnight has f***ed up millions of PCs running windows, or is it only those connected to a server?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Not seeing any issues this morning. We use office 365, but most of production servers are in AWS not Azure. I have just checked the connection to the lab environment and I am able to login to Azure and the connections are up. Don't know what all the fuss is about.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
This is almost certainly going to be the thing that CEOs use to enforce return to office at a lot of places
Shouldn't do. We are a 60/40% home based time split and the issues for us - Global Bank - are not location based as we use virtual environments in office or at home so coming in to the office made no difference today.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Shouldn't do. We are a 60/40% home based time split and the issues for us - Global Bank - are not location based as we use virtual environments in office or at home so coming in to the office made no difference today.
Yeah realistically whether we were all in the office today or not would make no difference. It'd just be a room full of mildly panicking people rather than those people mildly panicking in their home office.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Yeah realistically whether we were all in the office today or not would make no difference. It'd just be a room full of mildly panicking people rather than those people mildly panicking in their home office.
Or waiting for day 2 of the test match to start 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here