Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Lewis sells Money Saving Expert website for £87 million

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The problem is everyone goes up in arms when someone sells a business and says how lucky they are and what they should do with the money. That said there are many others who put their houses and life savings into businesses and the bsuines, for a variety of reasons fail, yet we don't spare a thought for them. We done Mr Lewis you deserve every penny you've got.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The website was originally designed for Lewis for a cost of just £100 in February 2003. However, today, Lewis employs a team of 38 full time members of staff at "MoneySaving Towers" in Shepherd's Bush, west London. The website carries no advertisements, but instead relies on affiliate links to other websites. Lewis receives commission for purchases made and/or through-clicks from his website.

Well there you are MoneySupermarket.com, instead of spending £ 87 M you could have just shelled out £ 100 and done it the hard way............. fools.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
It occurs to me that if there is a genuine feeling that some feel betrayed by the sale of this site to Money Supermarket there is an already developed alternative which with a little work can be made into a peoples champion owned by the people.

I will point out first I have no interest in this organisation other than having a few shares from using the cashback when no other cashback site offered it on the company I was buying from.

I offer this only as an idea which occurred to me as a thought yesterday.

IMutual. It is 90% owned by the users 10% owned by the staff so if it ever got to the situation where someone wanted to buy it out everyone that has built it gets a vote in if it is sold and would also get a share of what it is sold for.

It already has a forum section so could easily be developed to have similar help forums this site has, it could also obviously have the bargains forums this site has.

It is already set-up as a business referral site so has those links and as it grows can get even better working relationships with these and other businesses.

I have nothing against Martin and respect what he has achieved with this site I do however also consider that the sale of the site for so much private gain (£10m to charity does not wash much with me as it will be simple tax avoidance as he will be able to write much if not all of this off against tax.) when the vast value of the value it was sold for was created by the users themselves for free plus a promise to not sell our private data has been renegued upon with the wholesale sale of the business.

I have started a thread on Imutual IMUTAL THREAD HERE if this is to be done then it would need committed volunteers to do this who are prepared to put in a little work along side the staff (similar to here only this time you are rewarded by a share in the business.)

One other factor of course is that if the mutually owned business makes enough profit it can make dividend payments to its owners so could also be a money earner in addition to the cashback.

Just a thought, just an idea but then that is where MSE started.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
He recommended people take money out of high street banks & building societies and place it into Icelandic Savings!!!

I will leave you to make your own conclusion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here