Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
How much is Crystal Palace worth?

bha2.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Some things money can't buy. NSC isn't one of them: Bozza.
It's going to be great when Bozza sells NSC to some crap larger organisation like rivals.net. I bet he picked up the site for buttons (probably), selling it on for bigger business to pick apart at their leisure leaving Albions on-line fan community up shit creek.

Bozza: a modern day Bill Archer waiting to happen. :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
P.S. I'm only JOKING, so no need for [MENTION=3649]hitony[/MENTION] to busily ring round potential buyers to ask if he can still be a mod once the site is sold.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's going to be great when Bozza sells NSC to some crap larger organisation like rivals.net. I bet he picked up the site for buttons (probably), selling it on for bigger business to pick apart at their leisure leaving Albions on-line fan community up shit creek.

Bozza: a modern day Bill Archer waiting to happen. :thumbsup:

You couldn't be further from the truth.

I picked up NSC for nothing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It would be worth knowing what Mr lewis is going to do with all that bung ? Krugerrands ?, Diamonds ? or, just bury it in a tin in the back garden ?

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Having met Martin Lewis in real life he is nothing but an arrogant wanker.

He is one of the main reasons why shops are disappearing from the high street. He advocates purchasing online rather than visiting shops BUT ONLY if you try it out in shops first. He is basically asking people to try things out for free then order online. Retail Shops on the high street cannot reduce their prices in line with online shops. If 1 in 4 adults read MSE every month, think how much business this man is taking away from retail shops.

He is an internet marketer, I know recently he has come forward about that, but in the past he was very shady. He doesn't ONLY recommend the best deals. I know somebody that wrote for him that had to highlight specific deals, ones where ML got the most commission. This guy is no better than the people that sell diet pills online. He has been sucking dry people who trust in him.

He regularly gives bad advice, I have no specific examples here, but I have looked at some of the 'legal' advice he has given in the past and he is really stretching it.

In short, I don't think the work he has done is worth what he is getting, or anywhere close to it. Maybe a couple of million at the most, but hey, if moneysupermarket want to pay that then by all means they can. I won't stand in their way. I don't like the man, never will.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
You need to read the press release then - they are retaining a fully independent editorial stance.

Lewis is only retained for 3 years, after that they could just as easily ask him to walk ( he is now effectively an Employee on a fixed term contract ) - and by the sounds of it he'd be happy to do so after that period as he wants to concentrate on other areas. Once he's gone, MoneySupermarket are free to re-write the rules as they see fit.........

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
So what, current turnover is no guarentee of future performance, especially if a rival comes along with a better product than what you have to offer.

Everybody used to rave about Friends Reunited until Mark Zuckerberg came along with something better.

Sorry but that is a very simplistic view and overlooks a myriad of other important factors.

It depends on what the nature of the exit is - trade sale, merger, IPO.....it depends on your customer retention rates, your recurring revenue streams, product road map etc etc

That's why it is not unusual to 16 x valuations against earnings in certain technology businesses - that and the high margins generated.

Of course there is risk but typically you find that in the internet business model first movers are very difficult to shake once they have the brand embedded in their target market. And before you suggest Yahoo were first movers - they weren't. They had a product and a customer base but Google were the first movers when it came to embedding their brand in the market.

As for killing the high street - I'm afraid they ahve been keilling themselves slowly for years - even decades. POor customer service, refusal to buy into the internet shopping model early enough makes them prime targets for death in a recession.

As Larry Ellison said in his book 'make your business recession-proof in a boom - otherwise you delay the inevitable.'

My opinion on that he's right as recessions are as inevitable as tax and death. So if your business model is based on selling in a boom you are probably going to be around for a limited time.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Lewis is only retained for 3 years, after that they could just as easily ask him to walk ( he is now effectively an Employee on a fixed term contract ) - and by the sounds of it he'd be happy to do so after that period as he wants to concentrate on other areas. Once he's gone, MoneySupermarket are free to re-write the rules as they see fit.........

Which is standard stuff for a buy-out (although ML has gone further than most by insisting on the public release of an editorial policy). So what's your point?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Which is standard stuff for a buy-out (although ML has gone further than most by insisting on the public release of an editorial policy). So what's your point?

My point is that once he's gone, the new ''Editor in Chief" , no doubt appointed by MoneySupermarket.com, will re-write the rules to allow information to be sold to 3rd parties. That's precisely why they've paid Mr. Lewis's ridiculous asking price.

Dec 29, 2011

He is one of the main reasons why shops are disappearing from the high street. He advocates purchasing online rather than visiting shops BUT ONLY if you try it out in shops first. He is basically asking people to try things out for free then order online. Retail Shops on the high street cannot reduce their prices in line with online shops. If 1 in 4 adults read MSE every month, think how much business this man is taking away from retail shops.

He is an internet marketer, I know recently he has come forward about that, but in the past he was very shady. He doesn't ONLY recommend the best deals. I know somebody that wrote for him that had to highlight specific deals, ones where ML got the most commission. This guy is no better than the people that sell diet pills online. He has been sucking dry people who trust in him.

He regularly gives bad advice, I have no specific examples here, but I have looked at some of the 'legal' advice he has given in the past and he is really stretching it.

In short, I don't think the work he has done is worth what he is getting, or anywhere close to it. Maybe a couple of million at the most, but hey, if moneysupermarket want to pay that then by all means they can. I won't stand in their way. I don't like the man, never will.

All I see from this post is "he tries to get people to buy online to save the most money". Surely that's the idea of a money saving website. If shops can't compete with online retailers they should develop to also have an online branch. (Actually, come to think of it John Lewis released an app on the iPhone that allows customers to try clothes on in their store, scan the bar code and then buy the goods online. This is the type of forward thinking that keeps the efficient businesses running and puts the less efficient, more expensive, firms out of business).

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So what, current turnover is no guarentee of future performance, especially if a rival comes along with a better product than what you have to offer.

Everybody used to rave about Friends Reunited until Mark Zuckerberg came along with something better.

Most business are sold on a multiple of profit and not turnover, it's unusual for a .com to be sold for such a small multiple but seems a bargain for moneysupermarket and a tidy sum (as he still has shares) for Martin Lewis.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You couldn't be further from the truth.

I picked up NSC for nothing.

BTW Bozza, planning permission is in place just waiting for Toy R Us to sign on the line and we move!

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean

This.

I'm fed up of hearing him spouting generic financial advice wholly unsuitable for many people listening and it being treated as gospel. But then of course he knows that unlike proper authoised and registerd advisers, he can print or say anything he wants and get away with it if its worded right. Worse still, he doesn't have to disclose how he is renumerated via the site. Once again the FSA (morons) asleep at the wheel.

Wise up you lot.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here