Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marrying a U.S. citizen / Moving there

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Gully said:
Try Canada instead, it is part of the Commonwealth, they love the British and drink tea.

Be a bit difficult as Mr C's fiancee is an American, it's as hard to move to Canada as it is the US anyway.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Soton Seagull said:
Reedy, your intended voted for George Bush. Ask yourself, is this woman sane of mind?:p

He does have a valid point.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I am going through the process right now, pain in the arse, and its taking forever. A lot depends on where you file as some areas have huge delays, mine was filed in Miami and has so far taken 18 months, and I am due to get the final rubber stamp in mid August. Heres a good link for seeing the wait times for processing http://www.immigration.com/processing-times/national.html.

Its often better to do the whole application from the UK. If you move here to do it in you'll wait 90 days from filing for your work authorisation, during which time travel is restricted. (A non-starter if there's a Palarse match on the horizon!) You'll need an immigration lawyer too. I got a good one here and the whole thing has cost around $3000, plus immigration filing fees.

If you have any other questions nearer the time, happy to help out. My email should be on my user info. Otherwise, I'll be at Derby!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Mr C said:
She has her reasons and I am sure she'll be only too happy to discuss it with you when she comes over :)

Yes but, is she a church goer ? Remember that Missouri is well inside the 'Bible Belt' (Praize thah Loawed)'.

At least Mrs BHA was an atheist !

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Mr C said:
Yes, she is. We have quite interesting discussions on the existence or otherwise of God :)

Steady now, they take it very seriously although I thought Catholics (I was brought up as one) were hypocrits until I met some Southern Baptists. I had a girlfriend from Oklahoma who was a serial God botherer, she was also the biggest slut I have ever met ! True double standards believe me.

It's really not a great idea to get into a theological arguement with your intended and I would suggest that giving up an hour or so each week to go to church with her is a good investment.

bhaexpress said:
Steady now, they take it very seriously although I thought Catholics (I was brought up as one) were hypocrits until I met some Southern Baptists. I had a girlfriend from Oklahoma who was a serial God botherer, she was also the biggest slut I have ever met ! True double standards believe me.

It's really not a great idea to get into a theological arguement with your intended and I would suggest that giving up an hour or so each week to go to church with her is a good investment.
It isn't a problem getting into the discussions because she's knows my point of view and I know hers. It works.

And i have been to church with her. She asked if i would attend with her - she knows I'm not about to be converted, and I told her my thoughts from a non-religious point of view.

She's quite open about it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Mr C said:
It isn't a problem getting into the discussions because she's knows my point of view and I know hers. It works.

And i have been to church with her. She asked if i would attend with her - she knows I'm not about to be converted, and I told her my thoughts from a non-religious point of view.

She's quite open about it.

I have a born again Christian cousin in Canada and whilst I'm an agnostic (Catholitism has that effect on you) I do respect her beliefs. She is genuine which is more than I can say for so many God fearing types I've encountered over the years.

Mind you I also attended the Oklahoma Slut's church where they had one of the jump up and down, jabber 'Praise the Lord' and shout Halleluiah ! merchants, a sick joke if you ask me. That did a pretty good job of putting me of Jesus as well.

Glad that you're lucky enough to have a partner that can see your point of view, she sounds pretty good.

bhaexpress said:
I have a born again Christian cousin in Canada and whilst I'm an agnostic (Catholitism has that effect on you) I do respect her beliefs. She is genuine which is more than I can say for so many God fearing types I've encountered over the years.

Mind you I also attended the Oklahoma Slut's church where they had one of the jump up and down, jabber 'Praise the Lord' and shout Halleluiah ! merchants, a sick joke if you ask me. That did a pretty good job of putting me of Jesus as well.

Glad that you're lucky enough to have a partner that can see your point of view, she sounds pretty good.
The church service i attended with her was quite normal! It reminded me of services as a kid.

A few readings, some announcements of local events and church-related stuff, and some hymns. All pretty standard stuff really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here