Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McGhee is the best manager we've had for years

skintboy

Jul 12, 2003
Eastborne
Adams and Coppell very good managers but I think Mark Mcghee is far more loyal and won`t jump ship,he wants to be here and when/if Falmer comes he wants to stay and is preparing us for the next few years and although we were negative in games last season,we played to our strenghs and we went up and I think we will surprise a few this year!!

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
McGhee is my favourite manager over the last few years. OK, he did play negative football last year for the majority, but in a way that shows that he is a good manager if anything - what I mean is that he had the nouse (sp?) to realise that we didnt have the players to play any other way. Some managers, for example hinch tried to play good football when it was quite clear that the players at their disposal weren't capable of it.

Adams was a good manager, but what an obnoxious wanker!!!!

Coppell has and will always have Palace in his heart and therefore could never have been a great manager for us (despite what he might say). But thanks for what you did.

Peter Taylor was IMHO an honest bloke who did really well for us and I think he got a bad deal from the BHA faithful after he left.

Hinchelwood was just useless and I think he will be the first to admit that!

I'd have Mcghee over all of them, if tou'll excuse the expression!!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
skintboy said:
Adams and Coppell very good managers but I think Mark Mcghee is far more loyal and won`t jump ship,he wants to be here and when/if Falmer comes he wants to stay and is preparing us for the next few years and although we were negative in games last season,we played to our strenghs and we went up and I think we will surprise a few this year!!

Agree with you 100% .... I still rate Coppell and Adams, but think McGhee could hopefully be with us for the long term
:clap:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
Can't agree with your assessment (just yet) of McGhee

Under Adams we won a championship and played, consistantly better, more attractive football than McGhee. If anyone says that watching BHA last season was enjoyable at Withdean (apart from leaving the ground with another 1 or 3 points won) must be mad, the standard of football, game after game, was simply dreadful (with exception of QPR, Plymouth and maybe Sheff Wed)

Coppell got us relegated, I concede. But we played some good stuff under him, had some great results (Forest/Wolves at home for example)

Maybe I'm more of a football purist, but I can't get excited about McGhee and his negative football. Withdean last year was very hard work

Agree. Last season the football on offer was generally poor. However lets not criticise McGhee for that. He likes to play football but couldn't do that with the players we had last season. Currie, Carpenter and Nicolas can all pass the ball and I think we'll look a lot better this season.

Coppell restored our pride. I won't forget that quickly. He was ex-Palace but he turned red to white and done good for us.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Turkey said:
Coppell restored our pride. I won't forget that quickly. He was ex-Palace but he turned red to white and done good for us.

That's a good point!

I've liked McGhee from day one. He's very articulate and I have absolute confidence in everything he says.

To say he's a better manager than Adams, Coppell or even Taylor (remember him, he led us to the Division Two title?) is a touch premature, but then if he keeps us up this season then that will speak for itself.

He sounds like he genuinely wants to be here (you could accuse all of the aformentioned that they saw us a stepping stone), understands the Falmer situation totally and wants to be around when we eventually run out there. That alone almost does it for me.

Best manager for years? Not yet. Best man for the job? Definitely.

Last edited:

Dancin Ninja BHA said:
Maybe I'm more of a football purist, but I can't get excited about McGhee and his negative football

A football purist would appreciate how strategy and tactics can turn a limited side into a winning side. Last season was absolutely fascinating in that regard and if you couldn't appreciate that, it was your loss I'm afraid.

Last edited:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
He was the right choice for sure.

However, in relation to the title of the thread - Micky Adams was the catalyst for the revival (Kuipers, Jones, Cullip, Oatway, Carpenter all his signings and still with us).

He built the foundations for the other managers.

I like Mc Ghee's style and hope we are able to hold on to him.

Oct 5, 2003
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

LIAM BRADY is the BEST MANAGER by far the club has had since the great Alan Mullery (twice)

magoo is a clown:jester:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surprised you didn't plump for Jimmy Melia FG :dunce:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Safeway has put the case in a far more elequent way than I could.

When we stay up this season the McGhee will be the baest manager we have had in my time supporting the club.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
A football purist would appreciate how strategy and tactics can turn a limited side into a winning side. Last season was absolutely fascinating in that regard and if you couldn't appreciate that, it was your loss I'm afraid.

Ah London Irish, the new BhaExpresso with your smart arse comments

If you were fascinated with the below average football at Withdean for most of last season, then you are more of a wally than I earlier gave you credit for

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Lets be honest, our last four managers Adams, Taylor, McGhee and Coppell are all great managers who are all capable of winning in the Premiership. I doubt any team in the country can bost so many good managers in successiopn at the level we've played at. This is why we have had so much success. The reason for this is Dick Knight's superb ability to pick the right man for the job.

Debating who is the best manager is always going to be hard. They have all done well in their own way. Adams turned an average third division side into a title winning second division team. Taylor maintained a steady ship and IMPROVED on the position that Adams left us in. Coppell was always up against it and worked miracles nearly keeping us up and leaving us clear and the top of the second - which makes me wonder why we looked like Greece for the rest of last season - a team out of our depth pulling together to get results.

ANyway, McGhee has been able to bring in his own players and the next season will tell us a lot about the manager.

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
Safeway said:

Best manager for years? Not yet. Best man for the job? Definitely.

Agree with that, McGhee has grown on me in his time at the club so far, though I was a little weary of him at first. Now I would like to see him pledge his future to the club by extending his contract.

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
I have a bit unsure for the start but he moulded the team last season to play to the best.

and got us up so fair play

the new signings will give us a good chance of staying there

very impressed with the way he has got some of the players playing much better football.

but can we pass the ball a bit more this season we are a good team when we stick to that

well done MM:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

comeonurz

Aug 6, 2004
Reading
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Better than Adams? I reckon.

Better than Coppell? No brainer.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: Better than Adams!!!!
Fat boy is a failure beyond League One. Ask Leicester Wolves and Millwall. As for he's better than Coppell. Brighton were left in 1st place when Steve left and is surely partly responsible for the clubs promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here