Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McGhee - Don't let the bastards grind you down

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Deportivo Seagull said:
Get off his back, it isn't achieving anything and quiet frankly is starting to make us look stupid.

To be fair Deportivo, i think the 'us' is misplaced. I don't think it is you who is looking stupid ???

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Uncle Buck said:
He is the manager and as a rule the buck stops with the manager. You could blame the board for going with his decisions, but if they do not he will claim unfit working conditions etc.

And where is the rule that it does stop with the manager then? If that was the case, McGhee would have been sacked a long time ago. Even the chairman acknowledges that finishing 21st in this division every season is success until the new stadium is built. They can accept it, as can MOST people who post on this board, why can't you?

And who is going to do better?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
McGhee's job is to keep us in this division - this is, without question, still achievable - so he hasn't failed. As we're currently in the bottom 3 you can say he is failing - but he's been succeeding at times too and has succeeded in the past. He may keep us up, he may not, at least he's sticking with us unlike Taylor who was scared he might fail so jumped ship. If we accept we're in a relegation battle from the start, we should expect to be in and out of the bottom 3 during the course of the season, and therefore, imo, acknowledge that we can only judge MM after 46 league games.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
MM probably doesn't give a sh1t, the constant moaning at withdean must have made him immune to it all by now, he's still getting paid why should he worry, Dick has given him free licence to get relegated as he knows his contract will have to be paid out even if he fails.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Seagull73 said:
And where is the rule that it does stop with the manager then? If that was the case, McGhee would have been sacked a long time ago. Even the chairman acknowledges that finishing 21st in this division every season is success until the new stadium is built. They can accept it, as can MOST people who post on this board, why can't you?

It is not written anywhere, but the manager picks the team, picks the tactics, identifies the players he wants at the club, so must live or die by his results.

Turkey said:
McGhee's job is to keep us in this division - this is, without question, still achievable - so he hasn't failed. As we're currently in the bottom 3 you can say he is failing - but he's been succeeding at times too and has succeeded in the past. He may keep us up, he may not, at least he's sticking with us unlike Taylor who was scared he might fail so jumped ship. If we accept we're in a relegation battle from the start, we should expect to be in and out of the bottom 3 during the course of the season, and therefore, imo, acknowledge that we can only judge MM after 46 league games.

Spot on

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Uncle Buck said:
It is not written anywhere, but the manager picks the team, picks the tactics, identifies the players he wants at the club, so must live or die by his results.

I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't mean the buck stops with him does it..? He can only work with what he is being given, and that is much MUCH less than most other clubs in this division.

The only other club in this division that works on similar resources to us is Crewe, and where are they now, oh yes, bottom of the table...!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Uncle Buck said:
However you could argue that his screwing up is likely to play a large part in us potentially losing our place in this division, so he is failing at his job.

Oh and please do not get me to get off his back, my opinion is his actions deserve to be questioned and criticised.

Who said anything about you backing off, you can cricise to your hearts content, providing that you don't abuse for abuse sake, also ask yourself the question ' Do I hate him because he's a crap manager or because I just dislike him' ......

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Piers

I have a challenge for you

If McGhee keeps us up will you donate £ 25 to REMF , if we go down I will donate £ 25 to REMF.

Thereby if we go down your upset will be tempered with the knowledge you have taken £ 25 out of my wallet and into a good cause.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Seagull73 said:
I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't mean the buck stops with him does it..? He can only work with what he is being given, and that is much MUCH less than most other clubs in this division.

The only other club in this division that works on similar resources to us is Crewe, and where are they now, oh yes, bottom of the table...!

But he knew the restraints when he took the job, so although they are a factor, going on about them is going to make no difference. At times this season he has not used what is available at all well.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
Mark McGhee

I cannot believe the attitude of an ever increasing percentage of Albion fans and North Stand Chat. They say mcGhee out, what a fecking joke.

Mark McGhee has done a miraculous job for Brighton & Hove Albion for the last 28 months.

Promotion in the first season in charge via that unforgettable final in Cardiff. Noone expected the Albion to make an immediate return to the second tier of English football but McGhee achieved it.

Even more remarkable, playing and staying in the Championship. How big an achievement this was seems to have gone over the heads of a significant number of supporters but I would say in all seriousness that it was a greater achievement than Mourinho winning the Premiership at Chelsea. McGhee should have won awards for that achievement.

The side is weaker this season than the other 2 seasons in the second flight. McGhee has had his hand forced to sell ANYONE of value. Virgo, Harding, Cullip, Currie, Knight. 5 main players that made the difference between survival and non survival. Does anyone seriously think McGhee wants to do this. Does anyone think that 4 of those 5 players would not be playing week in week out if McGhee had the option. He has tried to bring players in, established strikers who can keep us up but NOONE WANTS TO COME HERE.

How frustrating for a manager to be in the situation where he cannot build a side due to outside influences. But still we are well in with a chance of staying up with a weaker side through no fault of the manager and continued problems off the pitch.

If and only If we go down you can lay the blame firmly at the door of LEWES DISTRICT COUNCIL. They have taken away any pot of money McGhee had and have thrown another spanner in the works unsettling players and putting people off coming here. They are the real enemy not our great manager who is doing better than anyone else could do in impossible circumstances to keep this side up.

He showed loyalty in this club by signing with all the uncertainty. He had faith in us.

The disgraceful threads on here , less than 2 weeks after the great Leeds win have made me frankly ashamed of certain section of Albion's support.

It about time we ALL gave McGhee total support for the last 14 games and no matter what happens noone could have done better tham McGhee.

I support MM, but he DID have money (at least 100k for Tom Brighton)... and it is NOT impossible to get people into the club... we have had PLENTY of quality players come to Withdean... fact is that he has failed to sign the striker we need to stay up...

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Uncle Buck said:
But he knew the restraints when he took the job, so although they are a factor, going on about them is going to make no difference. At times this season he has not used what is available at all well.

So you agree with me then, the fact that we still stand a chance of staying up when he supposedly hasn't spent his money at all well means he's doing a good job....?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Your on Piers :thumbsup:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Seagull73 said:

They are all pretty reasonable points, but what a lot of people (me included) were trying to say a month or so back, is that McGhee should not just be given carte-blance by DK to be able to turn in any old performance and then fall back on the old excuses (some valid) excuses we hear time and time again.

If you get to that situation, you may just as well pick someone off the street to manage the club as results and ability were not being considered, it seemed that regardless of results McGhee would not even be questioned, and that is where a lot of people started to feel a certain degree of resentment to McGhee and the feeling that we were just slipping away into relegation.

I'm pretty sure now (due to some of the things I have heard recently) that the board dont feel inclined just to let him bimble on, and fully realise that the oblivion that League 1 would bring is just not acceptable, but you cant blame people for feeling that following the Albion at the moment can, in the back of your mind, seem just a bit futile, I personally think an awful lot of frustration comes from the fact that DESPITE all the tired excuses coming from certain individuals on this board (Falmer etc ), we are NOT that bad, we have played well in phases in almost every game this season, so the potential IS there, and lets not forget that we do have some talentented players.

Saturday for me summed up a lot of peoples frustrations, we WERE better than Coventry for most of the game, so if that is the case, why cant we beat these sort of teams ? For me it is because we have no leader on the field, and forget about bringing in some kid from Spurs who may bang in a few goals, we need someone to control the shape of the team and start getting things sorted out, unless we can find a LEADER to take responsibility on the pitch we are going down and that cannot be attributed to McGhee.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What a glorious day in May

Albion stay up
Piers is parted with £ 25
REMF gets £ 25

:clap:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Seagull73 said:
So you agree with me then, the fact that we still stand a chance of staying up when he supposedly hasn't spent his money at all well means he's doing a good job....?

We have a chance of staying up, we have that until mathematically we are down.

However I do not think he is doing a good job, where he has brought in players, often the more high profile ones have been no better than what he has had. The ones for the future he seems incapable of developing and his handling of some of the more difficult ones has not been good.

I find him a very hit and miss manager, similar to Barry Lloyd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here