Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McGhee Confirmed as new Seagulls Boss - ** Discuss it here **

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I for one now view Reading in the same light as Palace. Less than favourably that is!

:clap2: :clap2:

Brighton & Hove Albion have been through a difficult time over the past year or so, and you really don't need that worthless little turd McGhee getting involved with your team. I strongly advise you to start the 'McGhee Out' campaign immediately.

You have my deepest sympathy.:nono:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I have to say I'm gutted. I think it was time to give a young manager a chance.
I think McGhee will probably get us promoted, but I don't think we'll be playing decent football in the process.
Millwall fans were all saying his style of football was awful.
I hope I'm proved wrong, but I want to see decent football, as well as a winning team

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think this squad need an experienced manager. This isn't a young squad ready to grow together, it has lots of seasoned professionals in there who could walk all over an inexperienced bloke. We can't afford to take the chance. I think McGhee will earn their respect and take them forward.

Good football yes. I have not seen anything about McGhee not playing good football apart from the last few months at Millwall. When they played down here in the Carling cup I thought they were excellent, and playing the type of football that we would love.

Let's see how the team shapes up.

Good choice.

Experienced, good track record, likes to play football properly. Will have loads of contacts.

It's a good thing that he's ambitious. He will want to succeed wherever he is. There is no way a club will want him if he isn't doing the job for us.

There is one reason why managers have left our wonderful club for lesser outfits - we may be financially stable (thanks DK) but without a proper stadium progress is severely stunted.

Season after next, Brighton upper midtable in the first division with Falmer newly opened. No reason why McGee won't look at the club and think "hey, the potential here over the next few years is immense, the club and fans are fantastic."

so, he could very well stay. ok, if at that point Manchester United, Barcelona or Juventus came in for him i wouldn't necessarily blame him for going. but he'll leave the club in a strong position to bring in a manager with ambitions to take the best team in the world into the premiership.

n1 gull said:
I have to say I'm gutted. I think it was time to give a young manager a chance.
I think McGhee will probably get us promoted, but I don't think we'll be playing decent football in the process.
Millwall fans were all saying his style of football was awful.
I hope I'm proved wrong, but I want to see decent football, as well as a winning team

Much as I dislike FSB as a human being, I feel I have to jump in here on his side. McGhee's sides play lovely football. He insists on keeping the ball on the ground, pass-and-move and patient build-up play. He wants players in all positions who are comfortable on the ball and pass well. At Reading in the early-mid 90s he built the best footballing side I have seen outside the top division, and on not much money. It took him 3 years, and the results didn't come quickly (ie first 18 months), but right from the start you could see what he wanted the team to do and he brought in the players he needed to achieve it.

He wasn't at Leicester long enough to do more than preside over their relegation, but his Wolves side played good football and, from what I've seen and heard, so did his Millwall team.

A Millwall season ticket holder I work with hates the bloke for his arrogance and open contempt for the fans wherever he has been, but even he concedes that the football was bloody good in Div 2 and pretty decent in Div 1 too. I think it was the fact that the build-up play was TOO patient for the average Millwall knuckledragger that upset some of them (along with the aforementioned distaste for football supporters).

So, if you can put up with his frequent foot-in-mouth episodes and his attitude towards the supporters, and if the Brighton fans are patient and don't demand instant results, McGhee will do very well for you and you will enjoy the football as well as the results. The real problem, unless he has learned his lesson from the years spent out of the game when no football chairman in the country would touch him, is that he is entirely untrustworthy. It will be up to your chairman and directors to ensure he is chained to his desk at Brighton for long enough to complete the job.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think I prefer the Mark McGhee signing to Steve Coppell. More of a feeling really, as I didn't like Steve Coppell's style and I don't know much about Mark McGhee except he slagged off the Millwall supporters once for getting on the backs of their own players.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmm coming from you Whitley that's quite a recommendation, as you say he's not your favorite person.

However he'll probably be deemed a failure here as the adjectives 'patient' and 'tolerant' can't be applied to an all-too-vocal minority of Brighton fans (and not that small a minority either). Far too many Albion fans are whinging, short-sighted, ungrateful, impatient, intolerant moaners. Witness the numerous 'Dick Knight Must Go' posts

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I'm pleased about him playing decent football. 606 was full of Millwall slagging him off when he was sacked, to be honest that's all I know about the bloke and the fact he comes across as a bit of an arrogant arse on telly.
I will happily give him a chance

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As noted else where NSC is indeed running like a dog so I only viewed page 7 of this thread but for what it's worth here's my tuppence worth - apologies for any repitition.

McGhee was easily the best choice out of the short list.

1) No compensation
2) Proven track record of winning 2nd division championships
3) Plays good football - (Spot on WD)

But he's a serial walker it's said (is to loyalty what King Herod was to babysitting according to some wag on the BBC chat site). Maybe that's true but he's on a 2 year contract so there'll be compensation if a bigger club does lure him. For that to happen he's got to get results with us first. There would be no guarntee of loyalty from a manager we'd prize away from someone "smaller" and he cannot be worse than Peter "no contract" Taylor and Steve "is to loyalty what Eddie The Eagle was to Skijumping" Coppel.

Great appointment and when I saw it on Tuesday night after a night on the razz I was well happy with the news. A little glummer after trying to share that happiness with y'all and finding the site down but still chuffed.

Mark McGhee's Blue n White Army!

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Don't agree he is a "serial walker" ! he spent 3 years at both Reading & Millwall and I think we would all be happy if he lasted 3 years here.

As said many times before the Stadium issue will always be a problem with so called bigger clubs looking to take our Manager,but bear in mind they only come looking if the Manager is successful.

I'll drink to that.:drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here