Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McCammon & Ian Hart audio link

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Interesting - McCammon came across very well (as someone said about, nice to hear a football who can actually speak!!), and had some good points to make.

I'm not "backing McCammon on this over Harty though". I think he's made a good argument and could still prove a lot of people wrong

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Oh, it made The Guardian's Fiver mail out...

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Until you kick a ball in professional football, you can't tell me I'm not good enough for this standard. I think what you said is very disrespectful" - no, not Harry Kewell's lawyers rebuking the Fiver, but Brighton striker Mark McCammon lambasting the poor-man's Spoony [Eh? - Fiver Ed] that is BBC Southern Counties Radio phone-in host Ian Hart, who claimed the player didn't deserve his place in the Seagulls' side.

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Why would the midfield put crosses in for Hart and Carole? They are 4 feet tall combined!

Plus Carole is a main source of our crosses. And the fact that McGhee sacrifices him on the wing and puts him upfront in stead of McCammon speaks volumes.

McCammon says the fans should get behind the team and make some atmosphere at THE Withdean, instead of whinging on the radio. Don't see the connection!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Having just heard the interview I thought that Big Mac came across very well.

He said that the fans were part of the team, and they had to do their bit, but at present there is too much negativity within the Withdean support, and this is true.

It's so easy to laugh it's so easy to hate, it take guts to be gentle and kind. Love is natural and real, but not for such as you bunch of f***ing whingers ((c) Morrissey and Marr 1987)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just listen to it

YOU ARE TOO f***ing RIGHT MARK

Its all these negative bastards that are bringing this club of ours down!

I would close c d and E block as that is where they all sit

Seriously though, he must expect us to have a whinge when we see the sort opf stuff that went on yesterday.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at his next meeting with McGhee

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Don't think Trolley will feature much for the rest of the season.

He's right about the fans not being behind the team. Withdean was DEAD yesterday. We had large moments of complete silence yesterday, even from H and J block, to the point you could hear El Abd screaming instructions.

We really need some sort of campaign to make some noise. Something like a rattle day, or another match with the whistles.

COME ON PEOPLE! IT'S OUR CLUB, WE'VE FOUGHT TO KEEP IT ALIVE ONCE! NOW GET BEHIND IT AND BOOST THE TEAM!

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
In the past when people have suggested a drummer or a Sheff Weds type band to make some noise, the luddites have said no way, its got to be 'real noise' or nothing at all.

It seems like weve got 'nothing at all' at the moment

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
SCR - :clap: :clap: :clap:
Harty - Diplomat albeit a bumbling one.
Mark McGammom really mixed up with a lot of various emotions.

My point is he was supposed to be going to a lower league club, but told McGhee he was better than that and ends up training with Watford, but the reserve game was called off. "I was called back, for some reason and feel I was very unlucky". Seems like a strange sort of loyalty to BHA.
What am I missing?

fatboy said:
McCammon says the fans should get behind the team and make some atmosphere at THE Withdean, instead of whinging on the radio. Don't see the connection!!

The connection is that fans who spend a lot of time whingeing on the radio then go and whinge at the ground and, far worse, incite many others to do so. An example was when Big Mac's name was loudly booed twice by the away support at Hull when it was read out by the stadium tannoy. Opinions of course will differ about whether that's acceptable behaviour by sections of our away support - I don't think it is. You presumably are not too bothered whether our players hear it?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Do fans that whinge on the radio whinge at the ground as well? I guess none of us can answer that one.

I don't really listen to the phone in - but isn't it mainly old women from Worthing and Dave the Gaffer that go on it?

Do people actually ring up from away games?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
fatboy said:
Do fans that whinge on the radio whinge at the ground as well? I guess none of us can answer that one.

I don't really listen to the phone in - but isn't it mainly old women from Worthing and Dave the Gaffer that go on it?

You do :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
fatboy said:

Er you did didn't you on the way back from Sheffield United

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Only to ask the Crawley score!

Problem with being out of Sussex is you can't hear the rest of the phone in!

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Just heard the interview and he had a point. Everybody is always onthe phone in complaining and the atmosphere at Withdean is poor and we didn't create many chances. I did agree with what he said.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
What in all that did McCammon say that will

a) Annoy the fans
b) Annoy Mark Mcghee
c) Annoy his team mates

FACT
Withdean was DEAD last night, there was no atmosphere (maybe because it was monkeys) but it was dead. I was as guilty as most, and did not sing too much (I seem to be a lot more vocal away from home and I don't really know why).

FACT
We didn't create many chances, and to create chances you have to work as a team. Defensivly we were solid, attacking we were snuffed out with no ideas, that is what McCammon said, we must work as a team. Nobody is scoring goals at the moment.

FACT
Stated he was not critisising his fellow players.

FACT
Football is half about belief, and him saying he thinks he is too good for lower league clubs, then that is a good thing, whether it is true or not is another matter, but surely HE has to believe that, or he might as well quit.

I think that was 100 x better than anything Leon Knight said when spitting the dummy out.

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
Having seen McCammon play on numerous occasions I am not convinced he can cut it in this division. However he did score goals last year, despite McGhee saying he was not a prolific striker, so perhaps we expect too much from him because he got off to such a good start?

I thought he wrong-footed Harty last night. I'm sure Ian didn't expect big Mac to ring the phone-in and challenge his opinion - I would give any thing to have seen Harty's face at the time.

What I would like to see is Mark put himself about a bit more, especially in the box. Perhaps he would if he felt the service was there for him to do so? I don't know. But if he doesn't think there were enough crosses put into the zone, he probably is going to be frustrated.

I don't think he said anything about the Withdean support that we don't already know. There is too much whinging, but that doesn't make everybody a whinger, and I'm sure that is what he meant. We should get behind the team more - we're fighting for our Championship survival here, and need the equivalent of 7 wins from 15 games. Quite a tall order.

Personally I hope he does get a chance to get himself fit, battle for his place, and come back and prove us wrong. But I have always supported the underdog. At least he wants to do the business - which is more than can be said for that tosser Kitson, who took against the fans just because we ribbed him with the 'who are ya?' chants before a game. Sense of humour bypass or what?

But in any case, and this is a reality check, can we afford to discard a striker, irrespective of what we think of him, given the small size of our squad, and the difficulty we have in luring anyone to or mini-theatre of dreams?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here