Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Lawrenson - f***ing BENNY?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
While watching the FOOTIE on the BOX last night did anyone else find Mark Lawrenson extremely irritating and very harsh towards the Azeri goalkeeper? I believe when he stopped Owens header when it hit Beckham and then the post he immediatly called him 'helpless' and during the whole first half kept having a pop at him because he wouldn't catch the ball. He did flippantly apologise when he realised the keeper had actually saved the header but it was too little, too late.

No mention at half time that the keeper had arguably kept the Azers in the game either, silly !!!!.

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I listened to the Talk Sport comentry while watching the Beebs pictures, The beeb cant do footie comentry to save their f***ing lives !!!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Lawrenson was a top class player, but he was a shite manager and is an even worse pundit. He's a complete and utter tosspot in my opinion, and I have no idea why the Beeb persist with the smarmy twat.

Also he's ugly. As f***.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Safeway said:
Isn't he IRISH as well?

Not really. He just PRETENDED to be Irish so he could play for their international team. Just like he PRETENDS to be a pundit so he can work for the BBC.

BlueWhite

Dec 28, 2003
I think Lawrenson comes across as a pompous bigotted twat - but I think there's something pretty unsavoury about the attitude behind the Beeb's football coverage: and it's not far off laughing at and belittling Johnny Foreigner. I'm glad the Azerbaijan keeper doesn't play for the Albion but at half time he'd kept them in it - coupled with some comically crap English finishing, which wasn't commented on with anything like the enthusaism reserved for having a go at those foreigners with difficult to pronounce names. (If you're being paid to commentate, learn who you're commentating about. Lawrenson hadn't even bothered to watch the tape of the Poland game).

And I thought that pompous, patronising attitude was shown in the studio at half time, when they jokingly showed Carlos Alberto with his head in his hands, pretending that he was in torment for finding himself in charge of these crap Johnny Foreingers (when if you'd watched the game the cut away was clearly him pissed off at the ref giving England a free kick in a dangerous situation for what looked like a clean tackle).

Sky football coverage is light years ahead; jolly old Match Of The Day looks well passed it these days, which is why almost 20% less watch it then ITV's Premiership the season before.

tainan

Jul 5, 2003
..and just after the other commentator (forget who he was) said there was plenty of football to watch at the weekend from Leagues 1 & 2 and the Conference, Lawrenson said "strange to have an Easter weekend with no League football". What's League 1 & 2 then? Condescending twat.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Me too. Complete FLID.

And completely agree with DKM about the whole tiresome "golfing chums" set up. I was in the pub watching it (thankfully with no sound) but still cringed when they showed that clip of Alan Hansen playing as a 40 something. Oh look, Hansen's frowning - hilarious.

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
And when lawrenson said "its INEVITABLE' England will win..." when it was still 0-0 after about 55 minutes, I cringed when he said that. :shootself

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Spot on thread, I thought exactly what CTS said at the time Lawrenson said it.

I think Lineker is excellent, as is Hansen. The problem is the Beeb too often have muppets like Peter Reid and the God-awful Ian Wright alongside these masters - Lawro has to go, and go quickly. Southgate was dull.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Why do the BBC have the likes of Hansen and Lawrenson doing the summaries for ENGLAND matches in the first place? Hansen is Scottish. Lawrenson pretends he's Irish.

I didn't see last night's England coverage as I was watching Wales on Sky. Their choice of pundits was Chris Coleman and Barry Horne, which made perfect sense. So why do the BBC insist on employing non-English pundits for England matches?

In recent years we've had Hansen, Lawrenson, Strachan, O'Neill, Schmeichel and even Gullit if I'm not mistaken covering England matches for the BBC. So what's that all about?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Who are Le Saux and Jamie Redknapp contracted to at the moment? I hope as soon as they retire the BBC snaps them up because they are much more knowlegable and articulate when they talk than the likes of Hansen and Southgate.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
BlueWhite said:
I think Lawrenson comes across as a pompous bigotted twat - but I think there's something pretty unsavoury about the attitude behind the Beeb's football coverage: and it's not far off laughing at and belittling Johnny Foreigner. I'm glad the Azerbaijan keeper doesn't play for the Albion but at half time he'd kept them in it - coupled with some comically crap English finishing, which wasn't commented on with anything like the enthusaism reserved for having a go at those foreigners with difficult to pronounce names. (If you're being paid to commentate, learn who you're commentating about. Lawrenson hadn't even bothered to watch the tape of the Poland game).

And I thought that pompous, patronising attitude was shown in the studio at half time, when they jokingly showed Carlos Alberto with his head in his hands, pretending that he was in torment for finding himself in charge of these crap Johnny Foreingers (when if you'd watched the game the cut away was clearly him pissed off at the ref giving England a free kick in a dangerous situation for what looked like a clean tackle).

Sky football coverage is light years ahead; jolly old Match Of The Day looks well passed it these days, which is why almost 20% less watch it then ITV's Premiership the season before.
feckin spot on. I hate lawro's commentry. He he never fails to put the under dog down by his ridiculous derogatry comments. Azebeijan put up a stirling performance i thought and they deserved praise for it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Who are Le Saux and Jamie Redknapp contracted to at the moment? I hope as soon as they retire the BBC snaps them up because they are much more knowlegable and articulate when they talk than the likes of Hansen and Southgate.
Hansen has done it all at club level, and doesn't mess about. I like him, as long as he is seperated from his useless golfing mates like Lawro.

But you're right about Redknapp & especially Le Saux. Articulate, intelligent and interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here