Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mark farren

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
And kevin Doyle is stupidly over-rated.
Irish top Division=English Ryman league(without doubt)

On the evidence I've seen (including an Irish top division side knocking a very decent Swedish side out of the UEFA Cup), I'd say you're talking from your arse.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
You seen lots of Irish football then?

Actually I have, Sligo Rovers are the team who've given me this opinion and its a fair one.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
On the evidence I've seen (including an Irish top division side knocking a very decent Swedish side out of the UEFA Cup), I'd say you're talking from your arse.

Funny how you can't name either team though (must of been intresting)

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

One player (who didn't really have a crack at 1st team football) does not prove your point.

Kevin Doyle scored goals in the Premiership which makes him slightly better than Ryman League.

Players like Daryl Murphy and Shane Long have done alright as well. I believe they also came from the Irish League.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Also worth noting that in the following round, St Pat's held Hertha Berlin to a 0-0 draw over 90 minutes at their (St Pat's) stadium.

They lost the away leg 3-0, but I wouldn't fancy any Ryman League time to manage even close to that scoreline.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
St Patrick's Athletic and IF Elfsborg.

Fair plsy but didn't we BEAT Man City not long ago? can you judge us on one game?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
So you have formed this opinion from one team.

What about the rest of the league?

FootbaLL matches consist of 2 teams, watching sligo Rovers for 1 whole season means I've watched other teams apart from the above mentioned

candystripe

Oct 29, 2008
Funny how you can't name either team though (must of been intresting)

i assumed you re talking about derry city and ifk gothenburg - derry beat them 1-0 both home and away.

the same season gretna were hammered 5-1 and paris st germain were held to a goalless draw

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Barnsley beat Liverpool and Chelsea in the same season, they must be AMAZING!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Barnsley beat Liverpool and Chelsea in the same season, they must be AMAZING!

My point still stands though - would a team playing in a Ryman-standard league be able to do what St Pat's did this season?

By your comparison between the Eircom and Ryman Leagues, we (as a League One side) should easily be able to thrash Hertha Berlin if St Pat's could draw with them. You reckon we could?

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Actually I have, Sligo Rovers are the team who've given me this opinion and its a fair one.

Great. So if we play shit (like we did against Walsall), and someone comes to watch us for the first time, does that mean they are justified to say that the WHOLE league is shit?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Great. So if we play shit (like we did against Walsall), and someone comes to watch us for the first time, does that mean they are justified to say that the WHOLE league is shit?

My point exactly. Yes Mr Truth I do realise that football matches have 2 teams involved thank you very much.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
My point still stands though - would a team playing in a Ryman-standard league be able to do what St Pat's did this season?

By your comparison between the Eircom and Ryman Leagues, we (as a League One side) should easily be able to thrash Hertha Berlin if St Pat's could draw with them. You reckon we could?

How many of the current Ireland internationals play in Ireland?
How many of the current Ireland internationals started in Ireland?
Ive watched a a whole season of Irish top division football and I've watch plenty of the Albion , my opinion should be better trhan yours.
If you look at the structure and ambitions of the Irish game it shows that the Irish league is no-more than a feeder league for English and scottish football.
Why is a bottom half league 1 side with no money being strongley linked with a irish top division centre forward? If it were your way then it should be Derry putting in offers for our players shouldn't it?.

Game, set and match

Last edited:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

As I've already stated, my opinion comes from a whole season not just a match :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Your opinion comes from a season of a team who have no money, the most violent fans outside of Dublin and have teetered towards oblivion season after season for a decade. Very accurate that. How long ago was it, out of interest?

McFaul is a poor player who plays for a team who are all but relegated to the First Division this season - not a strong side.

We're comparing the Eircom Premier to League One so - how many current Irish internationals play in League One? None. They're all of a higher level. Its a completely irrelevant point.

The arse end of Eircom Division One would be Ryman League standard - possibly. Oddly enough it was a team at that end of the division the Albion got held by in a pre-season this year...

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Any chance of answering this, The Truth? Rather than quoting it and going on about something unconnected?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here