Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marc Cucurella

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
An additionally funny anecdote was some Cucu/Romano fanboys here championing his escape from Bloom’s unjust incarceration, preventing him leaving to join his Catalan hero Guardiola. It would be cruel to deprive him of that.

Utter tosh and proven so.

He chased the dollar and perceived glory, just 9 months after this club had put him in the spotlight.
Hopefully Caicedo looks at Cucu and understands that he needs a few more seasons here before moving to a Big Six or abroad to a PSG/Real/Barca.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hang on. Fantastic?
The first half of last season, he took a bit of time to get going. He had a good second half of the season. We now have a better replacement, who gets down the line equally well and crosses better. Cucurella is overvalued and overrated and if you don't think that, then I suggest you go and talk to Chelsea fans, like I did on Saturday. Blimey, if you think the away fans treated him harshly, you should hear what they think of him.
Bit embarrassing that Albion fans made Cucurella player of the season then isn’t it!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Oh sorry, you've got your boring, sensible head on today I see.
I don't mind people leaving for a better offer, plenty of people do that. But putting in an actual transfer request and playing the game of your agent giving details of your "dream move" to the likes of Romano is the behaviour of an unmitigated knobhead.
And yeah, if WSP come in and offer to triple my money for doing the same job any time soon I'll take the hit on being considered a hypocrite.
WSP are shit. Bunch of incompetent arseholes. Worse decision than Chelsea that would be

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Dan Burn banged on about his 'dream move' but i think we still like him. White and Bissouma would no doubt have gone down the 'transfer request, agent leaks and sulky route' if we hadn't have given them their transfer, just like Caicedo did, and Cucu would have been all sweetness and light if City had offered more straight up and we'd accepted it without much fuss.

Circumstances just lead to different outcomes and perceptions.

Thought they boos were a bit silly, even though an obvious hangover from the Amex game earlier in the season.
With you right up to the last para. He deserved the boos, it's football. Sporting panto.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Lots of revisionism on this thread regarding the Player of the Season and Players' Player of the Season 2021/2022
When Boehly offered a potential £65m for Marc Cucurella, the Brighton hierarchy were more than happy with the deal. The footballing wisdom that says you have to take the opportunity when the big boys turn up was in full go mode, even though for us it was a bit shit that our POTS had bailed after just a year or so. Personally, Cucurella is not the issue; the issue continues to be Boehly and his wankstain idiotic consortium who came back to Brighton 5-games into a new season and potentially f***ed up my team. ClearLake have only three bits of clarity; they've f***ed up Marc Cucurella, certainly f***ed up Graham Potter and they've f***ed Chelsea. GOOD.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He was absolutely fantastic for us and I really enjoyed watching him play. His goal against Man Utd is one of my favourite PL goals because of his reaction and that of his team mates and the fans. How happy we all were to see him score and against Man Utd to really put them to the sword. I find it really, really sad the reaction to his leaving and don't share in the hatred for him.
When I stop and think about it, I have to agree with you. He was great when he was here and much loved. There's nothing to suggest that he wouldn't have just knuckled down and got on with it (just as Caicedo has done) had Chelsea not come calling.

There are two reasons why Brighton fans give him the shit he gets, and neither are really his fault. Firstly, he's part of a wider Chelsea ransacking of our staff. Fair enough that people move onto a bigger club, but it's not normal to steal your manager, his entire backroom team AND your player of the previous season. Secondly, Cucurella seemed genuinely happy here, seemingly had a connection with the fans who really took to him. He wasn't a run of the mill player to us.

Had Chelsea not nearly doubled City's offer (an offer we couldn't refuse), he'd still be with us - much like another much-loved Spanish full back, Inigo Calderon, who nearly moved to Southampton in similar circumstances (but on a smaller scale)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
An additionally funny anecdote was some Cucu/Romano fanboys here championing his escape from Bloom’s unjust incarceration, preventing him leaving to join his Catalan hero Guardiola. It would be cruel to deprive him of that.

Utter tosh and proven so.

He chased the dollar and perceived glory, just 9 months after this club had put him in the spotlight.
Makes me smile when l see how he and his new team are faring now . . . Kharma don't you think?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hang on. Fantastic?
The first half of last season, he took a bit of time to get going. He had a good second half of the season. We now have a better replacement, who gets down the line equally well and crosses better. Cucurella is overvalued and overrated and if you don't think that, then I suggest you go and talk to Chelsea fans, like I did on Saturday. Blimey, if you think the away fans treated him harshly, you should hear what they think of him.
Maybe they'd get more from a full back of they played him at full back.

He played five times at centre back for us - just as cover. Chelsea played him as a substitute centre back against REAL MADRID literally a week after he cost them the points at home to Aston Villa because he did something a natural centre back would never ever do.

No wonder Chelsea fans havent got a good word to say about him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When I stop and think about it, I have to agree with you. He was great when he was here and much loved. There's nothing to suggest that he wouldn't have just knuckled down and got on with it (just as Caicedo has done) had Chelsea not come calling.

There are two reasons why Brighton fans give him the shit he gets, and neither are really his fault. Firstly, he's part of a wider Chelsea ransacking of our staff. Fair enough that people move onto a bigger club, but it's not normal to steal your manager, his entire backroom team AND your player of the previous season. Secondly, Cucurella seemed genuinely happy here, seemingly had a connection with the fans who really took to him. He wasn't a run of the mill player to us.

Had Chelsea not nearly doubled City's offer (an offer we couldn't refuse), he'd still be with us - much like another much-loved Spanish full back, Inigo Calderon, who nearly moved to Southampton in similar circumstances (but on a smaller scale)
Correct - also he’s effectively the lightning rod or outlet for our new-found (or increased) hatred of Chelsea - he’s either on the pitch or warming up in front of us, so gets both barrels. We can’t lay into Boehly or his cronies, Potter got a bit but he’s now gone, we didn’t see Bruno or Roberts and they wouldn’t have got the same levels anyway. We also know the abuse (and Solly) ruined him at the Amex, so no surprise at all he got it again. Love it personally, all part of the panto.

Also just seen this on Twitter.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You have to look at it from both sides, I think after he’s left you highlight the bad and whilst he was here we were blinded to his weaknesses because we loved the bloke.

Last season I must say I never really noticed how many goals we conceded down his side until I watched highlights of a few games from last season, defensively he was quite suspect but 90% of the time we played a system that suited him which highlighted his attacking flair.

There’s no doubt in my mind he’s a good enough technical player to play for chelsea in the correct system, it’s the mentality a lot of the time that separates players, that’s what I don’t think he has.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Deleted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lots of revisionism on this thread regarding the Player of the Season and Players' Player of the Season 2021/2022, our current highest ever league finish...
Which is why I felt sorry for shouting w-anchor w-anchor w-anchor at him. 😆

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
When Boehly offered a potential £65m for Marc Cucurella, the Brighton hierarchy were more than happy with the deal. The footballing wisdom that says you have to take the opportunity when the big boys turn up was in full go mode, even though for us it was a bit shit that our POTS had bailed after just a year or so. Personally, Cucurella is not the issue; the issue continues to be Boehly and his wankstain idiotic consortium who came back to Brighton 5-games into a new season and potentially f***ed up my team. ClearLake have only three bits of clarity; they've f***ed up Marc Cucurella, certainly f***ed up Graham Potter and they've f***ed Chelsea. GOOD.
🎉🎉🎉😃😃😃

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Cucu is such an obvious LWB and it's painfully obvious that he shouldn't be playing centre back. It's only because he's left footed he gets put there. I don't think he's that good as a LB either as his strengths are bursting up the pitch in the knowledge that there is cover right behind him.

If he was still here, ie Chelsea hadn't bid, I think he would be in the team, as we wouldn't have bought Estupinan, but we'd be watching with the sense that something isn't quite right, just like with Lamptey. God that bid from Chelsea worked out well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hang on. Fantastic?
As others have said - player of the season for us. I remember 1, maybe 2 games to find his feet, but after that he was fantastic for us, there is no re-writing that and Chelsea based their valuation on those performances.

Whether their valuation is a mistake or not doesn’t change what he did for us performance wise, and it’s irrelevant what Chelsea fans think of him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As others have said - player of the season for us. I remember 1, maybe 2 games to find his feet, but after that he was fantastic for us, there is no re-writing that and Chelsea based their valuation on those performances.

Whether their valuation is a mistake or not doesn’t change what he did for us performance wise, and it’s irrelevant what Chelsea fans think of him.
I am going to have to boooo you, sensible has absolutely no place when we are talking about pantomime villains. BOOOOO

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Marc was great for his one season with Brighton. His agent clearly touted him to Man City who offered what they thought he was worth. I thought at the time he was worth more as he looked to me the perfect fit for LB for them and I thought he would play there for the next decade. Albion saw what he gave us as POTS and outstanding performer and asked a defensively high win/win transfer fee. Either keep the player or get the money. City would go no higher and Marc wanted to play for Pep, so he threw his toys out the pram with lot's of media prompting from his agent and Romano in tandem. His behaviour alienated our fans and Todd decided Marc should be his shiny new signing. He offered Marc a way out from his now problem situation at Albion and we got a monster fee to replace him. Easily done apparently with our system of having a replacement ready to go in every position at the club. Pervis comes in. We get £40m+ in the bank and it''s up to Tuchel to play him in his position to get the best from him, arguably LWB. Tuchel failed so Potter came in as a match made in heaven for Marc, but Potter focused on his emergency role of left C/B instead. Marc failed. Brighton fans have a history of ripping a new one to objects of their anger and Marc got both barrels to wreck his confidence. Don't blame him for taking the move, the big club, the money but I do blame him for the way he did it and he will get dogs abuse from us for the rest of his career for that.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Marc was great for his one season with Brighton. His agent clearly touted him to Man City who offered what they thought he was worth. I thought at the time he was worth more as he looked to me the perfect fit for LB for them and I thought he would play there for the next decade. Albion saw what he gave us as POTS and outstanding performer and asked a defensively high win/win transfer fee. Either keep the player or get the money. City would go no higher and Marc wanted to play for Pep, so he threw his toys out the pram with lot's of media prompting from his agent and Romano in tandem. His behaviour alienated our fans and Todd decided Marc should be his shiny new signing. He offered Marc a way out from his now problem situation at Albion and we got a monster fee to replace him. Easily done apparently with our system of having a replacement ready to go in every position at the club. Pervis comes in. We get £40m+ in the bank and it''s up to Tuchel to play him in his position to get the best from him, arguably LWB. Tuchel failed so Potter came in as a match made in heaven for Marc, but Potter focused on his emergency role of left C/B instead. Marc failed. Brighton fans have a history of ripping a new one to objects of their anger and Marc got both barrels to wreck his confidence. Don't blame him for taking the move, the big club, the money but I do blame him for the way he did it and he will get dogs abuse from us for the rest of his career for that.
That’s a pretty fair summary (players should give some thought to the fans/town before parading their wife and kids, kissing the badge and saying how much they love it here)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here