Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marc Cucurella

It's not so much moving to a bigger club to better your career and earn far more money, its the way Cucu did it that riles a lot of us. He wasn't for sale but, once City put in a bid he wanted out. That bid was turned down so he tried to force a move by putting in transfer request. Trossard larked about in training and threw a strop when called out for it so wouldn't be surprised for him to get some stick when we play arsenal too.
It's banter at the end of the day and if players earning multi millions a year can't handle that, then lord help them!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's not so much moving to a bigger club to better your career and earn far more money, its the way Cucu did it that riles a lot of us. He wasn't for sale but, once City put in a bid he wanted out. That bid was turned down so he tried to force a move by putting in transfer request. Trossard larked about in training and threw a strop when called out for it so wouldn't be surprised for him to get some stick when we play arsenal too.
It's banter at the end of the day and if players earning multi millions a year can't handle that, then lord help them!
Caicedo no different.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
But everyone loves a pantomime villain in football and he's it with bells on for Albion fans! 😁 He's got some illustrious company in Dan Harding, Nathan Jones and Alex Pritchard (I know he technically wasn't an Albion player, but as good as!)
You can probably add Dean Hammond.
Plus the likes of Scott McGleish, Craig Bellamy, Joey Barton…

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You have no evidence for either Biss or Ben and their morals, nor did big Dan throw a strop and behave like a bell end. The pure facts are that Cucu is a classless prick and deserves all the boos he gets.
He didn't throw a strop because he was allowed to leave. We don't know what he would have done if TB had said no. As others have said circumstances and context meant different reactions.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He was absolutely fantastic for us and I really enjoyed watching him play. His goal against Man Utd is one of my favourite PL goals because of his reaction and that of his team mates and the fans. How happy we all were to see him score and against Man Utd to really put them to the sword. I find it really, really sad the reaction to his leaving and don't share in the hatred for him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I did feel a tiny bit sorry for him - sure not sorry enough to stop chanting :-

"w-anchor w-anchor w-anchor"

Everytime I saw him, but sorry nevertheless.

No professional footballer turns down that deal, he ought not be vilified for also not turning it down.

What has him accepting the deal got to do with anything? He put in a transfer request saying he really wanted to play for City under Pep, then just went wherever he could go.

Esp when White & The Tross are (I assume) going to get fairly low-key ambivalent reactions in a few weeks time.
White did nothing wrong. Didn't ask to leave, and we accepted a decent bid. Trossard did behave like a twat though.

Caicedo no different

Well, we don't know and never will how Marc would of reacted if he was told No but Chelsea matched our valuation so off he went. What we do know is Caicedo was given a few days away to get his head straight and came back and simply got better and better. Different circumstances. Had Caicedo left for Arsenal then he too would be given the bird from supporters when we played them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He didn't throw a strop because he was allowed to leave. We don't know what he would have done if TB had said no. As others have said circumstances and context meant different reactions.
Ben White indicated that he's be interested in going to Leeds and we said no. So he signed a new contract with us, and didn't complain.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
But everyone loves a pantomime villain in football and he's it with bells on for Albion fans! 😁 He's got some illustrious company in Dan Harding, Nathan Jones and Alex Pritchard (I know he technically wasn't an Albion player, but as good as!)
Yep, I understand that, but perhaps I’m now just too old to really care that much.
Now, if you talk about the likes of Brian Clough and say, Micky Thomas, then I could possibly still raise a boo or two!😉😁

Last edited:

worthingweird

Mar 8, 2023
He was absolutely fantastic for us and I really enjoyed watching him play. His goal against Man Utd is one of my favourite PL goals because of his reaction and that of his team mates and the fans. How happy we all were to see him score and against Man Utd to really put them to the sword. I find it really, really sad the reaction to his leaving and don't share in the hatred for him.
Its not hatred, its banter...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ben White indicated that he's be interested in going to Leeds and we said no. So he signed a new contract with us, and didn't complain.
You are quite right, you can get offers from ManCity, Arsenal, Chelsea, ManUtd, Liverpool etc. but to miss out on a move to the Mighty Leeds, White should have been more upset than the rest of them put together.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You can probably add Dean Hammond.
Plus the likes of Scott McGleish, Craig Bellamy, Joey Barton…
Hammond's celebration at Withdean for Stains, undid every bit of respect I had for him

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Hammond's celebration at Withdean for Stains, undid every bit of respect I had for him

Indeed, so sad he felt the need to do that. It was the Albion who made Dean Hammond as a footballer, a little respect would have gone a long way.
I did him hear him regret that on an Albion Unlimited podcast, so sort of forgiven him. Big mates with Lallana, loves what Brighton are doing.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
His transfer request was annoying, because City were taking the piss, and he was trying to help them screw BHAFC on the fee. The fact he ended up at Chelsea and they then came and stripped the coaching staff and head of recruitment just added to his status as panto villain.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An additionally funny anecdote was some Cucu/Romano fanboys here championing his escape from Bloom’s unjust incarceration, preventing him leaving to join his Catalan hero Guardiola. It would be cruel to deprive him of that.

Utter tosh and proven so.

He chased the dollar and perceived glory, just 9 months after this club had put him in the spotlight.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Hang on. Fantastic?
The first half of last season, he took a bit of time to get going. He had a good second half of the season. We now have a better replacement, who gets down the line equally well and crosses better. Cucurella is overvalued and overrated and if you don't think that, then I suggest you go and talk to Chelsea fans, like I did on Saturday. Blimey, if you think the away fans treated him harshly, you should hear what they think of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here