Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Its not really dragging on. There was no chance of it completing until the Olympics were over and presumably the birth of his new baby as well.
Every indication is that this is on track... We do have quite a good record of completing transfers and getting them over the line but normally the failed ones are the ones people remember. Someone mentioned Stephen Ward earlier in this thread. It was over 7 years ago. We must have signed 75+ or even more first team players since then.

But presumably all the club v club talks could have been going on during the olympics. Just the club to player stuff to do. Would imagine the fella is too tired to think straight tbf

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Having moved to France when my wife was 5 months pregnant with our first child, I have to say if I were him I'd be thinking very carefully before making any move! It can be pretty challenging dealing with a new born baby in a foreign country some way from friends and family. Obviously money will be an issue - but living in a strange (much colder) place at this time of their lives would be tricky at the best of times - even without Covid.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Its not really dragging on. There was no chance of it completing until the Olympics were over and presumably the birth of his new baby as well.
Every indication is that this is on track... We do have quite a good record of completing transfers and getting them over the line but normally the failed ones are the ones people remember. Someone mentioned Stephen Ward earlier in this thread. It was over 7 years ago. We must have signed 75+ or even more first team players since then.

Wasn't Stephen Ward that summer with David Burke trying to buy a team for Hyypia? That went well he was sacked by christmas?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Albion remain favourites to sign Olympic medallist Marc Cucurella.

But his club president will fight to keep – or get the best price for – one of his star men.

Close followers of Getafe expect Cucurella to head to Albion ahead of the transfer deadline.

He was on the bench for their opener in LaLiga Santander last Friday, going on as a second-half sub in the 1-0 defeat at Valencia.

But it is understood he was NOT at training with his colleagues this morning.

Getafe president Angel Torres is a notoriously stubborn negotiator.

But an Argus contact in Spain said the expected move was believed to be “still on”.

orres has been described as a Spanish version of Daniel Levy - but with less money than the Tottenham chief.

His club must trim their squad before bringing in signings they hope to make.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19517575.brighton-remain-favourites-sign-getafes-marc-cucurella/
If there's a buy-out clause in the player's contract, what is there for the Getafe owner to negotiate about? How much up-front is about the only thing I can think of, unlesss we're trying to knock down the buy-out clause amount, which seems unlikely.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Having moved to France when my wife was 5 months pregnant with our first child, I have to say if I were him I'd be thinking very carefully before making any move! It can be pretty challenging dealing with a new born baby in a foreign country some way from friends and family. Obviously money will be an issue - but living in a strange (much colder) place at this time of their lives would be tricky at the best of times - even without Covid.

With a 4 month old daughter currently managing to turn our previously very settled life in Sussex upside down, I see your point!

Being able to afford whatever assistance they need or want (nannies, cooks, cleaners...) would soften the blow somewhat though.

I'd imagine there would be a bit of pressure from the wider families not to leave the country and deprive them of cuddles (assuming they currently live nearby, which isn't a given seeing as he has moved around for work already).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm sure not-at-all-scary-Uncle Bruno can help out with babysitting.

Baby will get confused with Bruno upside down head compared with its dad

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
For all players leaving family and friends they also have to consider covid. They have to weigh up the possibility of travel bans through the winter.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
First choice ahead of March ?

Based on FIFA and Football Manager abso-bloody-lutely!!! He's the greatest player to ever live.

Based on real life (and what I've seen/read) I suspect he might not automatically be first choice as a LWB. Looks like he might be better at defending than March, but weaker going forward.

In a flat back four he could well be first choice LB.

Overall seems like a solid squad signing, who can play LB and LWB and midfield, and is good competition for March.

That said, just my opinion!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Based on FIFA and Football Manager abso-bloody-lutely!!! He's the greatest player to ever live.

Based on real life (and what I've seen/read) I suspect he might not automatically be first choice as a LWB. Looks like he might be better at defending than March, but weaker going forward.

Overall seems like a solid squad signing, who can play LB and LWB and midfield, and is good competition for March.

If he can knock Solly out of a LWB spot he's a very good player.

That said, Solly can play well in other positions and like you say maybe a better LB than Solly

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Cucerella will easily be first choice here we wouldn't sign him otherwise. Solly can fill many other positions.

Bear in mind cucerella is one of getafes better players, a team that recently beat us and knocked Ajax out of Europe a couple of seasons ago !!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Cucerella will easily be first choice here we wouldn't sign him otherwise. Solly can fill many other positions.

Bear in mind cucerella is one of getafes better players, a team that recently beat us and knocked Ajax out of Europe a couple of seasons ago !!

Yes if we do sign Cucurella I still expect Solly to start every game he's fit, he's too good not to play.

I wouldn't be surprised if while Lamptey is out that Solly went to RWB with Veltman playing at RCB.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes if we do sign Cucurella I still expect Solly to start every game he's fit, he's too good not to play.

I wouldn't be surprised if while Lamptey is out that Solly went to RWB with Veltman playing at RCB.

Agree this is likely.

Solly isn't undroppable, but is one of our most consistent performers. If fit, he'll play

He could also be moved further forward into the attacking 3, but this would probably mean dropping Trossard.

Good competition for places anyway!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I'd fancy us in a competitive game

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

We also (rather luckily as it turned out, I think) left it a bit late for Vincent Janssen!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We've already got rid of 3 wide men in Izquierdo, Ali J and Tau so there's definitely a place for March in the squad, even with Cucurella.

I think Solly has worked hard at his game, but I've always felt a little uneasy with his defending in and around the penalty area. It is clear he is not a natural, instinctive defender. It may benefit him if he is freed of the wing-back duty and can concentrate on being an attacking threat.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I kept stressing out, trying to work out who would play where and who would persistently miss out. Then I realised it is both not my problem to solve and awesome that we have players you want to see play that aren't as good as the player already in that position! So much better than back in the day having Grant Horscroft and Richard Tiltman on the bench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here