Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We've already got rid of 3 wide men in Izquierdo, Ali J and Tau so there's definitely a place for March in the squad, even with Cucurella.

I think Solly has worked hard at his game, but I've always felt a little uneasy with his defending in and around the penalty area. It is clear he is not a natural, instinctive defender. It may benefit him if he is freed of the wing-back duty and can concentrate on being an attacking threat.

We don't play with out-and-out 'wide men'. Wing backs and a rotating front three seems to be the plan - 4-2-4 or even 4-4-2 don't seem to be on the cards any more. Out-and-out wingers? - no chance! Jahanbakhsh found that out (not that he was quite good enough anyway).

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
All this talk about would Cucurella take Solly's place, which is better at defending etc. Have you all forgotten our manager is GPott? He's probably looking at a LB to solve our striker issues.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Based on FIFA and Football Manager abso-bloody-lutely!!! He's the greatest player to ever live.

Based on real life (and what I've seen/read) I suspect he might not automatically be first choice as a LWB. Looks like he might be better at defending than March, but weaker going forward.

In a flat back four he could well be first choice LB.

Overall seems like a solid squad signing, who can play LB and LWB and midfield, and is good competition for March.

That said, just my opinion!
Hate to break it to you MC is far superior in attack give or take the same amount of games 130 odd he has 13 La liga assists and 6 goals. March has 4 assists in 4 seasons of PL football and 3-4 goals can’t remember the exact number. So it will be an upgrade and with his record and costing £18m I doubt he would have to fight for his place tbh.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Looks like posturing to me.

If Getafe really want to keep him why do they keep talking about him leaving and the fee involved.

The only real question is whether we feel his valuation is the same as the release clause.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Rarely do these never ending tug of wars work out. We probably left the table weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
More concerned that we have a striker up our sleeve.

Me not so, cover for Lamptey, which could be March, to free up Veltman as a CB and a new LB is the limit of my expectations. We don’t do PL ready young strikers, I now accept this :smile:

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Can see this going tits up. The longer we hold out for a better deal the more chance of a Palace, West Ham or Southampton simply going over the top and paying the full whack. Easy to say when it’s not your money but in the scheme of things he fits the bill, stops players playing out of position and is relatively well priced in the current market so would be disappointing to miss out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Can see this going tits up. The longer we hold out for a better deal the more chance of a Palace, West Ham or Southampton simply going over the top and paying the full whack. Easy to say when it’s not your money but in the scheme of things he fits the bill, stops players playing out of position and is relatively well priced in the current market so would be disappointing to miss out./QUOTE]

That's great insight, thank you. I didn't know we were holding out for a better deal.

Assuming you know this because you are part of the negotiating team, and not just parroting stuff you've read on social media as "fact", is there anything you can tell us about Nunez and the guy from Celtic too please.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
On reflection, that was pretty snarky. Sorry. But you get my point? We don't know what's happening. If people restate what highly partial parties might have released into social media, or just made up, often enough, it gets taken as fact and then used as a stick to beat the club. Which really is like grit in my shoe personally.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can see this going tits up. The longer we hold out for a better deal the more chance of a Palace, West Ham or Southampton simply going over the top and paying the full whack. Easy to say when it’s not your money but in the scheme of things he fits the bill, stops players playing out of position and is relatively well priced in the current market so would be disappointing to miss out.

As frustrating as it may be for us mere mortals, I have gone a long way past getting irritated at our club in the transfer market. They get far more right than wrong and there could be dozens of reasons this is being held up besides haggling over the price. And who's to say that isn't the right thing to do if that is what is happening anyway?

Last edited:

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Can see this going tits up. The longer we hold out for a better deal the more chance of a Palace, West Ham or Southampton simply going over the top and paying the full whack. Easy to say when it’s not your money but in the scheme of things he fits the bill, stops players playing out of position and is relatively well priced in the current market so would be disappointing to miss out./QUOTE]

That's great insight, thank you. I didn't know we were holding out for a better deal.

Assuming you know this because you are part of the negotiating team, and not just parroting stuff you've read on social media as "fact", is there anything you can tell us about Nunez and the guy from Celtic too please.

Not sure why my input into the general pub conversation has upset you so much. It’s been fairly widely reported that we are interested in him and that there is a release clause. Others will be interested. You’ll be happy with going into a new season without an established left back?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
As frustrating as it may be for us mere mortals, I have gone a long way past getting irritated at our club in the transfer market. They get far more right than wrong and there could be dozens of reasons this is being held up being haggling over the price. And who's to say that isn't the right thing to do if that is what is happening anyway?
Yep!

But

I'm still convinced the club have dropped a massive ball with livramento judging by how good he looks. Time will tell.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I don’t know anything about transfers but his wife just gave birth, so that’s more likely to be what’s holding this up, than the club holding out for a better deal, imo.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep!

But

I'm still convinced the club have dropped a massive ball with livramento judging by how good he looks. Time will tell.

Why do you assume he wanted to sign for the Albion?

We don't why he chose Southampton.
We don't know what it would have taken to bring him to Brighton.
We don't know if that was ever possible.
We don't know what caveats Chelsea insisted upon.

How can the club drop a ball that it might never have wanted to catch once the 'game' started?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here