Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I heard an interesting podcast recently with the guy who is something like the Head of Football at Southampton.

He was explaining how they have to strike the balance between getting the best possible price for their players but also not to be seen as a club who make it difficult for players to move on to better things by holding out for ridiculous sums.

The reason this is so key is that the young talent would never join them in the first place if Soton were seen as a club who make it difficult to move onto that next step.

I have no doubt we play it similarly. We must approach people like Biss, Trossard, Cucurella with the idea of "look, come to us, we play good football, you will get noticed and if a sensilble offer comes in you can go with our best wishes".

With that in mind, although he is OUR asset, and we obviously won't let him go for peanuts, there is no way in my opinion that we are going to do a Daniel Levy and say "It's 80m or no deal".

"Interesting" and "Southampton" in the same sentence? No, I can't deal with that at all.

But if I could, I'd point out that the reason we pulled out of the deal for Livramento is that we didn't like the terms that Chelsea were asking for, which guaranteed them first refusal on a buy-back with a capped price. It would have made it too much like a loan which, as we know, TB doesn't like because in effect we are developing other clubs' players for them. Southampton obviously aren't of the same opinion, hence the Livramento signing and the loan of Broja.

So TB obviously draws the line in a different place from at least one other Premier League club. Turning down 80m would be a bit strong even for TB, but I'm perfectly prepared to believe that he will let whoever is negotiating for him over a possible player sale that there is a minimum price and they can either pay it or walk away.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So TB obviously draws the line in a different place from at least one other Premier League club. Turning down 80m would be a bit strong even for TB, but I'm perfectly prepared to believe that he will let whoever is negotiating for him over a possible player sale that there is a minimum price and they can either pay it or walk away.

I don't know - I would see him more as having a minimum price in his head, but not telling those he is negotiating with. And let them move up to it, without ever really knowing what it is. That sounds far cannier, and will leave the others never really knowing what value he places on any player, until that value is matched.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I don't know - I would see him more as having a minimum price in his head, but not telling those he is negotiating with. And let them move up to it, without ever really knowing what it is. That sounds far cannier, and will leave the others never really knowing what value he places on any player, until that value is matched.

He means Blooms negotiators not theirs, TB won't pick up his phone every time a new bid comes in

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Pretty sure it was proven he didn’t say that afterwards, but as per usual mud sticks, even if it’s a lie.

Him using the n word on Instagram when he was still at Barca is however, sadly fact.

Of course different cultures handle stuff like that differently, but the club really needs to employ someone to really dissect a new signings social media and remove anything offensive. It’s just common sense.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
What is it with NSC and fish puns? I’m so sick of trawlering through threads trying to find relevant posts.

WHITE BAIT

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Him using the n word on Instagram when he was still at Barca is however, sadly fact.

Spaniards, in general, do not understand the weight of that word. Hearing it in songs, they often think it's slang that's acceptable to use in public. I've had to have "the conversation" many times when someone has casually used it.

NB. I've no idea of the context in which Cucurella used it. An online search doesn't turn anything up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here