Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The truth is we don't know what Potter thinks about it, so hopefully you're right and that he's enjoying himself here and would be reluctant to leave.

But like I say, this nagging feeling is based on a few things.
1. The England job is considered to be the pinnacle of management for a lot of English managers, maybe its lost some of its attraction, but it's still a big draw.
2. There is a trend and a desire amongst the fan base to appoint English managers, and Potter is the best English manager right now.
3. That could change over the next few years, because you never know what's round the corner, and he might not get another chance to take it.
4. It pays well, and he wouldn't have to up root his family to take the job. He could carry on living in Brighton and his kids could stay in their schools down here.
5. The FA like his style. They appointed Dan Ashworth , who then came to Brighton and appointed Potter. Also Southgate's style of bringing youngsters through and developing players and a team, is exactly what Potter does, except Potter is tactically more adept.

In my opinion it will come down to whether Potter wants it or not, because I think he'll definitely get offered it. Hopefully you're right and he'll want to carry on the journey with us, but I just can't shake the nagging feeling. I'll try not to think about it :)

If it happened it won’t be until after the WC. I cannot see GP walking away mid season, especially with the next big tournament 2 years away.

In fact I don’t see it happening at all, it’s a job most decent “in their prime” good managers turn down flat. It’s a job for older men who’ve won a few things or not very good PL managers

Is it a fact that Potter was an Ashworth idea as Albion manager or are we giving him credit for every signing from the day he arrived? I thought GP had been on our radar long before Ashworth came in with the brief “to keep the manager in his job” :lolol:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Cucu also meant that we offered threat and pace down our left, for the first time in our EPL years. Sewing uncertainty.

In season 2020/21 I remember Sheffield Utd visiting the Amex, where George Baldock of all players had the freedom of their right wing for the 90 minutes. He could attack at will, knowing that our no-pace left side offered no real threat. A horrible watch.

Season 2021/22 we were transformed down our left almost as soon as Cucu started,

Agree Westy - if Cucu stays we’ll all be happy - maybe we should reassure him that his lack of sewing expertise won’t count against him! 😀

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
If it happened it won’t be until after the WC. I cannot see GP walking away mid season, especially with the next big tournament 2 years away.

In fact I don’t see it happening at all, it’s a job most decent “in their prime” good managers turn down flat. It’s a job for older men who’ve won a few things or not very good PL managers

Is it a fact that Potter was an Ashworth idea as Albion manager or are we giving him credit for every signing from the day he arrived? I thought GP had been on our radar long before Ashworth came in with the brief “to keep the manager in his job” :lolol:

I think perhaps I was conveniently joining some dots with Ashworth, as we don't know for a fact that he appointed Potter. But there are some undeniably strong links, particularly in so far as how the FA wanted to approach things. Their approach relied on key figures of Ashworth as the director of football role and then a progressive manager who wanted to build an environment that young players could develop in and grow as a team. The fact that Ashworth was brought to Brighton to implement that template, means it will be impossible for the FA to ignore that the Potter has done very well using their approach at club level. In my opinion its the key factor that puts him top of the list for Southgate's successor.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I just hope that McAllister can fill that Bissouma shaped hole, drop deeper and allow Mwepu to fill the no10 roll.
Why would you "hope" something that has happened seamlessly, numerous times, happens next season?

I hope Mwepu has put an end to his niggly injuries.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think perhaps I was conveniently joining some dots with Ashworth, as we don't know for a fact that he appointed Potter. But there are some undeniably strong links, particularly in so far as how the FA wanted to approach things. Their approach relied on key figures of Ashworth as the director of football role and then a progressive manager who wanted to build an environment that young players could develop in and grow as a team. The fact that Ashworth was brought to Brighton to implement that template, means it will be impossible for the FA to ignore that the Potter has done very well using their approach at club level. In my opinion its the key factor that puts him top of the list for Southgate's successor.

I agree that there will be a campaign from England fans and the FA to try and appoint Potter as the next England manager…..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That ought to be the case.
But still won't change the fact the reply will be words to the effect of:-

'Im honoured to be asked but I haven't finished the job I started at club level'.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

This is going to drag out through the whole ****ing summer now! What a shit distraction from our preparations for next season!

I’m surprised that Naylor thinks Citeh will think twice at spaffing over 50m though? They normally just pay the fee if it’s under £100m.

No surprise that TB has put a huge figure on this lad but I’m still convinced that Citeh will find the dosh if Pep really wants his little man. Oh well.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Pretty clear the top clubs (and their plastic fanbases and client journalists) all massively underrate Bloom and his business acumen. Reminds me a bit of the late noughties when everyone was stunned Daniel Levy didn't just roll over and flog all his best players to the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Unbelievable that city are already trying to lowball us!!!

Disgraceful .

Starting point should be £70m. Negotiate down to £60m.

I really hope bloom digs his heels in which I think he will.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
That ought to be the case.
But still won't change the fact the reply will be words to the effect of:-

'Im honoured to be asked but I haven't finished the job I started at club level'.

I really hope that is the reply. Like I say it's been a nagging feeling/worry for a while, but I'd like to believe that you're right.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Unbelievable that city are already trying to lowball us!!!

Disgraceful .

Starting point should be £70m. Negotiate down to £60m.

I really hope bloom digs his heels in which I think he will.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Really annoying.

Citeh fans were right, their club do want him for about £25m.

I suspect they’ll be willing to pay a lot more on the 1st September when the window closes. Until then, we’ve going to have to tolerate this horrific chase. If he is going, I just want it done, not the slow pursuit and probable purchase we’re probably going to get. Balls.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Really annoying.

I suspect they’ll be willing to pay a lot more on the 1st September when the window closes. Until then, we’ve going to have to tolerate this horrific chase. If he is going, I just want it done, not the slow pursuit and probable purchase we’re probably going to get. Balls.

I don’t think it will drag on up to the deadline, the club will have a price and will hold firm and will be clear when the cutoff for city to decide to avoid too much disruption to next seasons prep is. We have the player on a 4 year deal we hold all the cards here

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Really annoying.

Wasn’t it the same a year ago? It dragged out for months. Difference being, we were the buyers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really hope that is the reply. Like I say it's been a nagging feeling/worry for a while, but I'd like to believe that you're right.

I genuinely can't comprehend why you would think he'd commit professional suicide when he still has 20+ years of top flight management ahead of him.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Wasn’t it the same a year ago? It dragged out for months. Difference being, we were the buyers.

Think that was more about the structure of the fee.

If you match a release clause the money is payable immediately, I think we were trying to negotiate a package which was staged hence why the transfer dragged out for some time. Think we were always happy to pay the £15m just how we paid it was the debate.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Really annoying.

Horrific chase?

They’ve shown interest for a number of weeks. It’s ok when we do it but not when it comes to city. Play fair. We chased encisco for a year!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here