Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
[tweet]1530225884229259264[/tweet]

Needs a few BHA replies :D

I'd say there is a 50-50 chance that this bloke does not have Pep Guardiolas phone number and knows **** all, really.

So the papers think our POTS who has also featured in a lot of media as one of the overall top talents in the PL this season who is contracted with us until 2026 is going to leave in the summer for £5m less than United paid for Wan Bissaka 3 years ago.

Barber and Bloom must be pissing themselves reading those articles

I don't think you can compare those deals. £50m is not absurdly low just because Wan-Bissaka cost somewhere around the same, just like £50m for White wasn't absurdly low despite United paying £80m for Maguire. That clubs are able to get Manchester United to pay £30m more than they should is great for clubs dealing with them but you it doesn't mean you can expect other clubs to have no idea what they're doing.

Think its pretty optimistic/naive to believe that TB would hang up the phone if Txiki calls and says "we want your left back for £45m". There would be negotiations.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
£13m for Dan Burn wasn't a good deal for us

It was - and it wasn't. It was a gamble that nearly backfired - we suddenly became perilously short of CBs and went on a run which could have cost us our place in the league if we hadn't timely snapped out of it. It could have been disastrous, but we got away with it in the end.
The price, ultimately, is about right (just about) in terms of market valuation. I still think we should have pushed the moneybags a bit harder - maybe we did, and maybe the Saudis would have walked away if we hadn't accepted £13M and asked for more. Who knows? (well, we all know who does know, of course, but we don't know!)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
£13m for Dan Burn wasn't a good deal for us

I disagree, although Webster’s injury and Dunk’s suspension caused a problem. I doubt he’d get into the team when everyone is fit, his contract was running down and he was gagging to go to his home town club. We don’t need pissed off players

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
[tweet]1530548796370915328[/tweet]

No significant contact suggests some. City ask us what we want for him, we say we have no desire to sell. They put the phone down.
It was Ben White’s agent who said Tony Bloom is a nightmare to negotiate with as he doesn’t give anyone a price at which we’d sell. So we just reject offers until one meets the price at which we say ‘ yeah, ok’.
This City source who says it’s a ‘done deal’ apparently is the one who ‘broke’ the Haaland ‘deal done’. F@cking hilarious. My dog would have seen that one coming.
Not to say it won’t happen but Brian Owen is a reliable source.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I remember when I used to look forward to the transfer window. Now I can't wait for it to close, hoping we lose nobody and sign a few youngsters I've never heard of for a couple of years time :shrug:

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
No significant contact suggests some. City ask us what we want for him, we say we have no desire to sell. They put the phone down.
It was Ben White’s agent who said Tony Bloom is a nightmare to negotiate with as he doesn’t give anyone a price at which we’d sell. So we just reject offers until one meets the price at which we say ‘ yeah, ok’.
This City source who says it’s a ‘done deal’ apparently is the one who ‘broke’ the Haaland ‘deal done’. F@cking hilarious. My dog would have seen that one coming.
Not to say it won’t happen but Brian Owen is a reliable source.
The article stated No bids, no significant contact and crucially, "But the message remains that Albion do not need to sell anyone and are looking forward to next season."

So regardless of any contact, significant or otherwise, I think Brian Owen is suggesting we won't sell unless there is a bid well above our valuations and/or we have replacements in place.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The article stated No bids, no significant contact and crucially, "But the message remains that Albion do not need to sell anyone and are looking forward to next season."

So regardless of any contact, significant or otherwise, I think Brian Owen is suggesting we won't sell unless there is a bid well above our valuations and/or we have replacements in place.

I don't know how that is "crucial" in any way... Brighton didn't "need" (or else? bankruptcy?) to sell someone last summer either. Doesn't mean it can't happen.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Twitter seems to have gone mad with ''ITK'' people saying things like 'Cucurella is a done deal'... and most seem to be basing it from that footage of Marc from a year or 2 ago saying ''it would be hard to say no'' (possibly talking about his move to us, nobody seems sure). You've basically got a load of people who think they're Fabrizio Romano , think a deal is going to happen because of that footage, and are trying to look cool to their 20 followers for predicting a transfer before it happens. When the reality is probably far closer to what Brian Owen has said, a journalist we trust, in that nothing much has happened.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Twitter seems to have gone mad with ''ITK'' people saying things like 'Cucurella is a done deal'... and most seem to be basing it from that footage of Marc from a year or 2 ago saying ''it would be hard to say no'' (possibly talking about his move to us, nobody seems sure). You've basically got a load of people who think they're Fabrizio Romano , think a deal is going to happen because of that footage, and are trying to look cool to their 20 followers for predicting a transfer before it happens. When the reality is probably far closer to what Brian Owen has said, a journalist we trust, in that nothing much has happened.

That interview wasn't from two years ago, it was after the Catalonia V Jamaica game this week, broadcast live on twitch.

It has been said that the translation may have missed the nuance of the interview tbf.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I don't know how that is "crucial" in any way... Brighton didn't "need" (or else? bankruptcy?) to sell someone last summer either. Doesn't mean it can't happen.
Apologies, my English is not as good as yours. I clearly didn't mean crucially, I meant something else, like the salient point (i.e. the most relevant or noticeable point), which was the article was effectively dismissing the speculation at the moment.

And as regard whether Brighton did or didn't need to sell last Summer, again that is open to interpretation. Brighton have made huge losses over the past few years, financed by their owner. Perhaps Tony decided that actually they did need to sell Ben White last summer.
But again happy to defer to your inside knowledge.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Apologies, my English is not as good as yours. I clearly didn't mean crucially, I meant something else, like the salient point (i.e. the most relevant or noticeable point), which was the article was effectively dismissing the speculation at the moment.

And as regard whether Brighton did or didn't need to sell last Summer, again that is open to interpretation. Brighton have made huge losses over the past few years, financed by their owner. Perhaps Tony decided that actually they did need to sell Ben White last summer.
But again happy to defer to your inside knowledge.

If the huge losses forced the sale of BW then how come all the money was re-invested? Not saying I have any insider knowledge but it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't think Brighton "need" to sell - if the club was standing on the brink of disaster unless it sold players, we would probably have heard about it. Doesn't mean sales can't or won't happen.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
If the huge losses forced the sale of BW then how come all the money was re-invested? Not saying I have any insider knowledge but it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't think Brighton "need" to sell - if the club was standing on the brink of disaster unless it sold players, we would probably have heard about it. Doesn't mean sales can't or won't happen.
But, by selling Ben White we were able to fund the purchase of Mwepu, Cucu and others without incurring even larger losses. This whole thread might not exist if we had kept White.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I am not sure why people are worried about this. Look at the amount of players (and manager) Southampton have lost over the years and they are always competitive.

We can all see that Cucurella is one of the best out there. If he goes to one of the best sides in the continent and we get a big windfall to improve the squad with, so be it.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here