Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mandela

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think his sense of forgiveness is a wonderful thing in this day and age.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
So your saying its ok to be a terrorist if its a good cause, so do you support al queda then? As im sure they think what they're doing is for a good cause

Don't be a stupid little boy. I asked you what the alternatives were to Mandelas actions that you would have considered. I note you haven't answered.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think the subtle difference between Mandela and your average terroist leader (for that was what he was for a time) is that he acknowledged and apologised for the use of force, he has not pretended it was something good but somthing necessary. Then, in the moment of victory and with the power of the President, he drew a line under the past and moved the nation forward rather than let old greivences fester.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Ones man terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

I like Nelson because without him we wouldn't have the "Nissan Main Dealer" joke :lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What's all the fuss about?

:shrug:

People all over the world campaigned and waited for years for him to be released.

His release was a massive event, one of those "the world stands still" moments as the world tuned into the news pictures.

I personally always associate him with Trafalgar square funnily enough.

There was a constant campaign that took place on the West side outside South Africa house. Always remember it as a kid, since we were usually taken up there to feed the pigeons.

I walk through Trafalgar square most weeks and still think of the Nelson Mandela protests going on.

Because of that, there is good reason to have a statue of him there on the empty plinth, since (like me) a lot of people associate him with the square.

But, personally I prefer what they are doing at the moment, rotating pieces of art. They will soon be a massive ship in a bottle there.

There is already a Mandela sculpture on the South Bank anyway.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
Afraid I dont think the younger generation can differenciate between someone who stood up for their rights and admitted it was wrong, compared to todays conflicts where death and disorder rule.
The younger generation on here should read up on the struggles before posting crap and linking it to Iraq etc

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

ack

Apr 20, 2006
The heroin trade never stopped despite what you think you hear. Poor farmers know thats their only income,so do the US, if they stop the farms they only create more militants.
Dont read the papers take on it,ask the serving personel.
Yes they hit a v few fields for media propoganda, but on the whole its leave alone.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Im not being funny but if he was white he'd be a nobody, and more to the point if he was white he'd probably be dead by now, probably murdered.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
"MK did wage a guerrilla war against the regime, especially during the 1980s, in which many civilians were killed. Mandela later admitted that the ANC, in its struggle against apartheid, also violated human rights."

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
MK did wage a guerrilla war against the regime, especially during the 1980s, in which many civilians were killed. Mandela later admitted that the ANC, in its struggle against apartheid, also violated human rights.

Yes, we all know that. It's the fact that even after being locked for 27 years he was able to admit his mistakes and call for reconciliation, that gives him his appeal.

Now - back to your statements before.

1) If he was white he would be a nobody and...

2) Probably dead.

What the hell are you on about ? You're not even old enough to remember how the regime in South Africa was hated the world over.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Yes, we all know that. It's the fact that even after being locked for 27 years he was able to admit his mistakes and call for reconciliation, that gives him his appeal.

Now - back to your statements before.

1) If he was white he would be a nobody and...

2) Probably dead.

What the hell are you on about ? You're not even old enough to remember how the regime in South Africa was hated the world over.

If the situation was the other way round and the whites were being treated like shit by the blacks, then no one would care about a white uprising and the whites would probably be killed.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Mandela and FW de Klerk shared the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize and oversaw the transition from minority to majority rule in SA. Both probably have parts of their past that they are not proud of but were both instrumental in change for the better. For me, the bravest and most outspoken voice against aparteid and oppression is Archbishop Desmond Tutu, who received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984 and the Ghandi Peace Prize last year.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
And wasnt his first act as president invading another country?

Well you can throw Blair and Thatcher into that pot as well.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make about to him to be honest, although your comments above about his skin colour possibly throw light on another agenda.

The fact is that this debate has already happened and no-one is trying to make the man out to be perfect. Importantly, not even himself.

The fact he is getting so much press now, is because there was a long support in this country for him to be released from his prison sentence. Quite obviously something you don't remember, and neither will you remember him being released and how massive an event it was at the time.

You're views are like the ones coming out the right wing of Conservative Government in the 1980s which even David Cameron has now publicly distanced himself from and apologised for.

Last edited:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
who did thatcher invade? and while we're on the subject, i've nothing against old nels but why are WE celebrating his birthday and having a concert? cant he do that at home? i don't get it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here