Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Manchester United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

A certain amount of robust to-ing and fro-ing is certainly tolerated - it’s a forum dominated by adults. None of what I seen directed at you (and I’ve seen a lot, due to the number of posts you report) come close to causing me to press the ‘infract’ button. Neither did your abusive post - which is why I didn’t infract you.

I’m glad you’ve decided to ‘go with the flow’. I look forward to seeing far fewer reported posts by you, and less focus in threads on such matters. To do otherwise would be hypocritical and invite accusations of trolling.

Yes but that’s slightly misleading. You make it sound like I’m over-reporting or something. If you want to make this a public discussion I’m more than happy for you to list out publicly any posts I’ve flagged. All of which I stand by 100%.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Never been so gutted to have an accy come in. Had a tenner on over 2.5 goals in each of the 4 Premier matches yesterday.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Here we go again.....Please take your moaning away from the match thread

Grow up. I didn’t start this discussion. I’m responding to a comment that was made to me by Goldstone. take it up with him.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes but that’s slightly misleading. You make it sound like I’m over-reporting or something. If you want to make this a public discussion I’m more than happy for you to list out publicly any posts I’ve flagged. All of which I stand by 100%.

I’ve said all I have to say on the matter.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fair enough. Personal attacks seem to be tolerated here (forgive me, I don’t seem to recall you stepping in for any of the abuse I’ve taken of late), so let’s just say I respond in kind. Going with the flow as others say I should do.

If you are going to have strong opinions, there will be responses that are equally strong and some that will be abusive if your opinions piss some posters off. Football opinions can be quite passionate and not always reasonable. You need to be less precious when challenged and if you can’t handle it, question whether this is the forum for you. It’s just how NSC is and believe me it’s quite tame in comparison to what it used to be.

Thicker skin is what you need :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A certain amount of robust to-ing and fro-ing is certainly tolerated - it’s a forum dominated by adults. None of what I seen directed at you (and I’ve seen a lot, due to the number of posts you report) come close to causing me to press the ‘infract’ button. Neither did your abusive post - which is why I didn’t infract you.

I’m glad you’ve decided to ‘go with the flow’. I look forward to seeing far fewer reported posts by you, and less focus in threads on such matters. To do otherwise would be hypocritical and invite accusations of trolling.

There's a 'report' button!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Another result consistent with the rest of the season.

If doesn't make any difference if the team played well - they dominated, led and then lost - the soft underbelly again.

Hopefully it doesn't lead to a run of similar results.

The style we play will always leave us open, especially against the top teams. If we were playing the top six every week we would have a string of similar results. One United player cost more than our first team, it was always going to be a tall order to win at Old Trafford. Our only chance was them not really being up for it and they very much were.

We have never won there in the league, and the way we play makes it very unlikely that we’ll ever do a smash and grab.

Just the way it is and it’s very harsh to suggest we had a soft under belly. If the penalty had been given we could well have come away with at least a point.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

If you are going to have strong opinions, there will be responses that are equally strong and some that will be abusive if your opinions piss some posters off. Football opinions can be quite passionate and not always reasonable. You need to be less precious when challenged and if you can’t handle it, question whether this is the forum for you. It’s just how NSC is and believe me it’s quite tame in comparison to what it used to be.

Thicker skin is what you need :smile:

Absolutely! I’m all for strong opinions (as you know as a fellow ‘Potter in’ for some time). Surely you recognise I’m not afraid to engage in arguments? And some of my favourite discussions here have actually been amongst those who have a polarising perspective to myself. It’s a good way of re-evaluating your own position. More than happy for anyone to discuss opinions and to tell me where I’m wrong.

It’s those who carry grudges and just jump in with insults or underhanded comments I have a low tolerance for. It’s not thin skin, it’s low tolerance. A distinct difference. Attack my position, don’t make it personal. The ignore function is great USE IT. There’s certain folk I don’t get on with here, I just ignore them, move on, problem solved. More than happy for a few here to ignore me rather than following me around making snide comments (you can see a few here on this thread). You obviously don’t like me, so... just ignore me? Weird business.

Likewise, if I see a thread I don’t like or a topic I feel ain’t worthy of a thread (or a thread started by an OP I don’t like), I don’t barge in throwing insults to the OP and others and de-rail the thread. I quietly ignore it and go about my day. Quite easy really.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely! I’m all for strong opinions (as you know as a fellow ‘Potter in’ for some time). Surely you recognise I’m not afraid to engage in arguments? And some of my favourite discussions here have actually been amongst those who have a polarising perspective to myself. It’s a good way of re-evaluating your own position. More than happy for anyone to discuss opinions and to tell me where I’m wrong.

It’s those who carry grudges and just jump in with insults or underhanded comments I have a low tolerance for. It’s not thin skin, it’s low tolerance. A distinct difference. Attack my position, don’t make it personal. The ignore function is great USE IT. There’s certain folk I don’t get on with here, I just ignore them, move on, problem solved. More than happy for a few here to ignore me rather than following me around making snide comments (you can see a few here on this thread). You obviously don’t like me, so... just ignore me? Weird business.

Likewise, if I see a thread I don’t like or a topic I feel ain’t worthy of a thread (or a thread started by an OP I don’t like), I don’t barge in throwing insults to the OP and others and de-rail the thread. I quietly ignore it and go about my day. Quite easy really.

Personally find actually ignoring posters who come after you if it’s just trolling, is the best approach. They do give up quite quickly if you never respond. I have never used the ignore feature either.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think for me it’s more the contrasting styles of play.

If that were Palace last night, the ball from Veltman isn’t a delicate, precise pitching wedge type of ball into a centre forwards up against their best player in the air.

It’s a ball played deep into the United final third, probably picked up by their goal keeper. At that point Palace have 11 behind the ball and no damage done.

Instead Maguire easily wins the header and when Veltman can’t keep the ball, instead of United having the ball deep in their own half with 11 to break down, they have the ball in our final third and have taken 6 or 7 of our players out of the game.

It’s the way we play, so I’m not criticising, but that’s what I see as the main difference.

Palace play with ultra caution, we play a more expansive style which can work, but can also leave you vulnerable.

Yes perfectly fair.

However, still not much doubt in my mind that they are more clinical in their finishing.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The style we play will always leave us open, especially against the top teams. If we were playing the top six every week we would have a string of similar results. One United player cost more than our first team, it was always going to be a tall order to win at Old Trafford. Our only chance was them not really being up for it and they very much were.

We have never won there in the league, and the way we play makes it very unlikely that we’ll ever do a smash and grab.

Just the way it is and it’s very harsh to suggest we had a soft under belly. If the penalty had been given we could well have come away with at least a point.

With all due respect - these are excuses.

In 2015 Leicester won the title with a team that cost less than £30m. It is possible to play attacking football and still have a stout defence. The problem is that these results aren't confined to top six teams - they have been happening throughout the season apart from a 4 game and now a 2 game stretch and that is why the club has skirted with the relegation zone the entire season. Remember this team won at Anfield so it it is possible to win these games.

Through this season the team has thrown away points because there is a soft underbelly - drawing games they should win and losing games they should draw or win - yesterday was more of the same. Dominating the game and then unable to make adjustments when opponents start to come at you.

There are 8 games to go and Brighton probably need 8-10 points to be sure of safety - however, it is not inconceivable with this soft underbelly that they could lose all 8.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

In 2015 Leicester won the title with a team that cost less than £30m. It is possible to play attacking football and still have a stout defence. The problem is that these results aren't confined to top six teams - they have been happening throughout the season apart from a 4 game and now a 2 game stretch and that is why the club has skirted with the relegation zone the entire season. Remember this team won at Anfield so it it is possible to win these games.

Through this season the team has thrown away points because there is a soft underbelly - drawing games they should win and losing games they should draw or win - yesterday was more of the same. Dominating the game and then unable to make adjustments when opponents start to come at you.

There are 8 games to go and Brighton probably need 8-10 points to be sure of safety - however, it is not inconceivable with this soft underbelly that they could lose all 8.

Laughable, you do know who we were playing don’t you? You can criticise all you like when we are playing teams at the bottom or even mid table, we have not been solid enough against some of them, but not when the team we are playing is full of quality and trying to secure second place. Much better teams than us have lost a one goal lead against United, including teams at the top of the table.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

yep we definitely have a naive side to our overall 90 minute effort and are prone to lapses in concentration a gifting teams goals , i believe however that we may be slowly turning that corner and we will only improve from here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm amazed this is still a 'thing'.

The Albion played well.
Got out coached at half time.
Utd needed the ref and good fortune to win.

I'm not seeing how anyone can be surprised by last night.

Saw enough recently and last night to suggest the dropped goolies from earlier won't be returning.
While others in the 'fight' can be less certain.

I moved on from last night before the third whistle.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I think you could have leveled these charges against the team after the Palace and WBA games. Also after quite a few of the grim pre Christmas results. Last night was different though. We didn’t miss hatfuls of easy chances and there were no ridiculous losses of defensive concentration. We just lost and that can happen to any team.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think you could have leveled these charges against the team after the Palace and WBA games. Also after quite a few of the grim pre Christmas results. Last night was different though. We didn’t miss hatfuls of easy chances and there were no ridiculous losses of defensive concentration. We just lost and that can happen to any team.

He is an ardent Irish fan and a Hughton fanboy so looks for reasons to criticise, just a heads up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here