Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I do suspect we may play more direct tonight. GP has played City at their own game and it hasn’t worked.

Will be interesting to see his approach this time.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
team talk ....." ok lads , citeh , 11 blokes 22 arms , 22 legs , 11 hearts , 22 kidneys , 11 livers ........if we score more goals than them we get 3 points and every **** on the planet will be taliking about us .......i'd just as well lose 4-2 and have a go than lose 1-0 and play like a bunch of dexied up architects ....so go on , get out there and have a go , if not for me for the fans and even more so for yourselves."

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire

I reckon an inverted 5-3-2. We'll play all our defenders up front, Alzate will be a no. 10, Gross and Jahnabaksh as DCMs. Maupay and Zequiri at the back.

Makes no tactical sense and won't work but would be Peak Potter and would probably get a glowing post-match response from Pep (which is about the best we can hope for tonight).

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
We’re gonna WIN!!!

...although I have just got back in from a run and am a little light headed.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
West Brom got a draw there not very long ago.

Leicester thrashed them at the Etihad

I can feel a statement coming. It's one of the most stupid statements football fans use (amid strong competition). It's the "I have absolutely no concept of how probability works" statement ......... nnnnnngggggghhhhh .........I can't help myself I can't stop it coming out ......

"we're due a win there"

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Reading the posts so far it's not going to be a fun day is it ?

However, for those who believe we cannot possibly even get a point you can get a 14.25% return on your money within two hours with the odds currently offered.

Compare that to about 0.1% in a year for most regular savings accounts. So tempting.

And it'll make watching the regular close ups of Potter with the bemused scarecrow look, sucking his pen, and catching flies with his open mouth, much more bearable.
(By the way I also dislike the close-ups of Guardiola rolling a little bit of spit on his tongue and gobbing it out, especially in coronavirus times).

Alternatively, maybe De Bruyne, Sterling, Foden, Jesus, Gundogan, Mahrez etc etc will have an off night.........

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
West Brom got a draw there not very long ago.

Leicester thrashed them at the Etihad

I can feel a statement coming. It's one of the most stupid statements football fans use (amid strong competition). It's the "I have absolutely no concept of how probability works" statement ......... nnnnnngggggghhhhh .........I can't help myself I can't stop it coming out ......

"we're due a win there"

17/18 3-1

18/19 2-0

19/20 4-0

A lot better than our home performances against them.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I do suspect we may play more direct tonight. GP has played City at their own game and it hasn’t worked.

Are you suggesting he might learn from his mistakes? Seems a bit of a stretch.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Reading the posts so far it's not going to be a fun day is it ?

However, for those who believe we cannot possibly even get a point you can get a 14.25% return on your money within two hours with the odds currently offered.

Compare that to about 0.1% in a year for most regular savings accounts. So tempting.

And it'll make watching the regular close ups of Potter with the bemused scarecrow look, sucking his pen, and catching flies with his open mouth, much more bearable.
(By the way I also dislike the close-ups of Guardiola rolling a little bit of spit on his tongue and gobbing it out, especially in coronavirus times).

Alternatively, maybe De Bruyne, Sterling, Foden, Jesus, Gundogan, Mahrez etc etc will have an off night.........

Perusing the odds for a chuckle...

Sterling is 8/11 to score tonight with Bet365. Much more likely to score than not. That is just embarrassing.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
It would be great to get something tonight but I don’t think it’s fair to expect much.

The big games are obviously the Leeds and Fulham ones. If we were to get 4pts from those two games we would be on 18pts, have deprived rivals of some points and pulled our own points per game to 0.9 for the season. For reference, our points per game rate since promotion have been:

2017/18: 1.05 points per game

2018/19: 0.95 points per game

2019/20: 1.08 points per game

2020/21: 0.70 points per game

At 0.9 points per game we would be on course for 34 points over the course of the season. We’d still need to improve but it wouldn’t feel insurmountable. If we don’t get something at Leeds we’re going to have to hope that we can put a run together, the likes of which, we’ve never produced in the Premier League.

Losses to both City and Leeds would leave us with 14pts at the half way stage of the season. If we need, say, 38 points for safety we’d need to start averaging nearly 1.3 points a game over the final 19 games. That is 24pts from 19 games. The best we’ve ever produced over a 19-game run is 22 points. We’ve done this twice, both times under Chris Hughton, once in 2017/18 and then again in 2018/19. Under Graham Potter, our best 19-game total is, I believe, 21 points.

Obviously, this hopefully won’t be the scenario and, at the end of the Fulham game we will be reflecting on the 9pts we have taken from them, Leeds and Man City. However, if we were to get nothing from both City and Leeds, we will likely either be in for relegation or the greatest run in our, albeit short, Premier League history. We’d need 8 wins or something like 5 wins and 9 draws from 19 games just to reach 38 points. That would be solid mid-table form, equating to a 48 point season and while it would be wonderful, I can’t see it happening.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
we are around 17 to 1 to win tonight..... I can't remember bigger odds for a same-division fixture... ever?

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
"Brighton played some really nice football, brilliant passing and a really spirited performance, but defensive errors and failure to produce in the final 3rd really let them down this evening and in this division you get punished for that, that's why they lost 6-0 tonight".

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
As an Albion addict find it hard watching when we are desperate for points. Just cant wait to enjoy watching us when mid table and points not vital. May of course never happen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here