Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manager by the weekend??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ridiculous generalisation. Sven has shown himself to be astute throughout his career, not his fault Leicester wanted to chuck millions about.

Was it a different Sven that signed Sol Campbell at League 2 Notts County?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
By the weekend!? I bl00dy hope so. No matter what TB/PB say, a speedy, not rushed, appointment is VERY important.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
it was on the show before gooldstein . think it was saggers or someone

On the Mark Saggers show, just listened again. Martin Lipton, chief sports writer at the Mirror.

Said Clement said it was about time now, not desperate to leave, but.... (then Saggers cuts him off).

About 12 mins in on the 8:30 section if anyone else wants to listen, more after the update on the Nigeria goal.

FRYG

Bexhill Seagull
Apr 13, 2011
Bexhill
Out of work for a while and links with other clubs could be Clark I would guess judging by the bookies sudden slashing of his odds it seems to fit quite nicely

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Not sure.

That can't be the same Sven who ever so ASTUTELY payed over £1m for Michael Johnson when at Leicester City on loan, only to make 7 appearances and be sent packing half way through the season? Or the same one who spent £5 MILLION on Matt Mills in the Championship, threw £40k (according to my Leicester STH housemate) a week at Beckford on a 4 year deal.... I could continue.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Not sure.

That can't be the same Sven who ever so ASTUTELY payed over £1m for Michael Johnson when at Leicester City on loan, only to make 7 appearances and be sent packing half way through the season? Or the same one who spent £5 MILLION on Matt Mills in the Championship, threw £40k (according to my Leicester STH housemate) a week at Beckford on a 4 year deal.... I could continue.

The Sven delusion continues. It's this sort of attitude that will hold us back as a club as we won't be able to attract top quality candidates.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Left field...

Nigel Adkins?
Dougie Freedman?
Ian Holloway?

Could you imagine?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

You can mock Sven for many things but i'm not that's one of them. Are you saying he wouldn't be good enough for League 2 despite the fact that he went on to re-join Arsenal and play for Newcastle?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Graeme Souness

Needs something to do with Sky losing the Champions League

:shrug:

No more ridiculous than some of the utter BINNERS that a few people have been touting around

Perfect, if only for the inevitable 'Chop Souey' headline after he starts the season with 6 straight defeats.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
One of the candidates is a manager, who, for personal reasons, has not worked for a while. He has a very good track record in the PL and his name crops up from time to time, linked with other jobs.
IMHO he would be an excellent choice given that he was hungry again and up for it.
( Source...his agent, who I know very well )

Sounds like RDM
Whoever it is , we need to make sure , as much as possible that he/she ??? will stay for 3-4 years minimum . We need stability else we will never have a successful 2-3 or 4 year plan to reach the premier . Even now we are starting from scratch again .

Well I don't want to be accused of sexism !

But if we get an unproven manager in who does really well then other bigger clubs will also look at him. Look at what has happened with Pinnochio at Southampton.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Sounds like RDM

But if we get an unproven manager in who does really well then other bigger clubs will also look at him. Look at what has happened with Pinnochio at Southampton.

True , it is always a worry , but then look at Leicester , Burnley , Hull and Cardiff who managed to get away with it . We just need to have a plan to get into the Premier then obviously circumstances would change , so take each stage at a time .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
True , it is always a worry , but then look at Leicester , Burnley , Hull and Cardiff who managed to get away with it . We just need to have a plan to get into the Premier then obviously circumstances would change , so take each stage at a time .
Didnt TB have a 5 year plan for this but each year has been thwarted by the manager getting a strop and leaving unexpectedly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You can mock Sven for many things but i'm not that's one of them. Are you saying he wouldn't be good enough for League 2 despite the fact that he went on to re-join Arsenal and play for Newcastle?

No, I'm not saying that at all.

I'm suggesting that Sven's success has been largely based on significant spending.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Should not even be thinking about it (us, not the Albion) until after the World Cup. Alas, it will not be the favourites, and I hope it is not Hughton.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Under normal circumstances you might want to take a bit of time over the appointment, but we have some major rebuilding of Poyet's team that needs undertaking, and Leicester are after our best player for a derisory fee. I think we need to get the manager position sorted pronto.

I realise that the manager merry-go-round still has to stop at Southampton, West Brom and Celtic, and this is one of the reasons Bloom seems drawn to managers who aren't on board, i.e. Clement or Garde.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, I'm not saying that at all.

I'm suggesting that Sven's success has been largely based on significant spending.

Sven's greatest successes were at Goteburg, Lazio and Benfica (and arguably England, but that's a whole other thread). Did he really spend big at those clubs? Not convinced he did especially.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Didnt TB have a 5 year plan for this but each year has been thwarted by the manager getting a strop and leaving unexpectedly.

Yes correct , I was just answering somebody else . But that is we want , managerial stability for at least 3-4 years it may give us a chance of promotion otherwise we may always struggle especially as we have no parachute payments .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here