Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man of the match today

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
6 cracking saves. Brighton's number one.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Kuipers' job is to produce goalkeeping performances of a league one goalkeeper's standard. If he falls below the desired level, then he'll rightly get criticised. Thankfully, that hasn't happened this season. On the other side of the coin, if he EXCELS himself, pulls off a number of great saves, and plays a significant part in earning us points (as he did at Forest, after which Wilkins made the offending remark) then he deserves to be praise. It is the same in other positions. If Elphick does all that is asked of him, but perhaps we concede a goal to a quality piece of play, then that's standard. However, if Elphick goes above the call of duty and makes a number of goal-saving tackles, then he deserves special praise. And, I think Wilkins would praise Elphick, or for that matter Cox, El Abd, and Lynch. In fact, any of his 'kids.' If it's Michel though, no chance.

Wilkins job is to find players that can somehow perform above the League 1 standard, thats how we can succeed.

Of course we are not privy to what Wilkins may or may not say to his players, but I do think there is some justification for expecting League 1 performances as a minimum standard and demanding a higher standard than that.

I wouldnt worry to much about Wilkins 'offending remark' as he had probably spent the previous 30 minutes praising Kuipers in the dressing room after that game.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Kuipers' job is to produce goalkeeping performances of a league one goalkeeper's standard. If he falls below the desired level, then he'll rightly get criticised. Thankfully, that hasn't happened this season. On the other side of the coin, if he EXCELS himself, pulls off a number of great saves, and plays a significant part in earning us points (as he did at Forest, after which Wilkins made the offending remark) then he deserves to be praise. It is the same in other positions. If Elphick does all that is asked of him, but perhaps we concede a goal to a quality piece of play, then that's standard. However, if Elphick goes above the call of duty and makes a number of goal-saving tackles, then he deserves special praise. And, I think Wilkins would praise Elphick, or for that matter Cox, El Abd, and Lynch. In fact, any of his 'kids.' If it's Michel though, no chance.

Yes, exactly. I personally think Elphick comes under that category of doing what's expected. A lot of what Elphick does is very average and gets completely blown out of proportion. Whereas Kuipers not only does what's expected but pulls off fantastic saves as proved again today.

Last edited:

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
So his duties are instead of making good saves, is to let them in !!

I am sure Wilkins will praise personally where he feels it is earnt and I have no doubt that Kuipers has had his fair share of praise this year.

But there is some logic in Wilkins remark, keepers do need to do there 'Duties', but also need to save his team a few times a game.

All top teams have a keeper that can do this, if they dont teams will lose regularly.

I accept that this logic can be transferred to each position on the pitch but no need to get too precious about Kuipers not getting MOM, I thought he did well and so did Cox, it was certainly out of them two for me.

Well the fact that you thought it was out of Cox as well says it all mate. You are well and truly blinkered.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

Another bollocks comment. It is part of his job to keep them out otherwise he'd be dropped just as other outfield players will if they failed to do their routine work. Wilkins isn't the first to say that, Adams did too, perhaps its just a comment to keep his feet placed firmly on the ground. I'd also imagine that he'd much prefer to have a game when he just dealt with routine goalkeeping matters because that means the defence and the team as a whole are doing their job. I know when I've played I prefered those matches than having to be called upon to make continuous last ditch saves.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yes, exactly. I personally think Elphick comes under that category of doing what's expected. A lot of what Elphick does is very average and gets completely blown out of proportion. Whereas Kuipers not only does what's expected but pulls off fantastic saves as proved again today.

I accept some of that but I dont think you will find Wilkins has initiated any 'blown out of proportion' comments about Elphick, he has not joined in with any great praise for him either.

So to compare Wilkins understated comments about Kuipers and to attribute some exaggerated comments on Elphick by some supporters to Wilkins would not be accurate.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I accept some of that but I dont think you will find Wilkins has initiated any 'blown out of proportion' comments about Elphick, he has not joined in with any great praise for him either.

So to compare Wilkins understated comments about Kuipers and to attribute some exaggerated comments on Elphick by some supporters to Wilkins would not be accurate.

I'm not talking about Wilkins I'm talking about the fans voting for him as player of the season/hailing him a premiership player etc....

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Well the fact that you thought it was out of Cox as well says it all mate. You are well and truly blinkered.

I said that Kuipers did well as Cox did too, not overly blinkered there then !!

If it was out of Kuipers and one other, which player would you like to bring to the mix or you just want to have Kuipers...end of.....!

Hmmmmm who really is wearing the blinkers ??

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Another bollocks comment. It is part of his job to keep them out otherwise he'd be dropped just as other outfield players will if they failed to do their routine work. Wilkins isn't the first to say that, Adams did too, perhaps its just a comment to keep his feet placed firmly on the ground. I'd also imagine that he'd much prefer to have a game when he just dealt with routine goalkeeping matters because that means the defence and the team as a whole are doing their job. I know when I've played I prefered those matches than having to be called upon to make continuous last ditch saves.

It's not a bollox comment at all. Yes it is part of his job (as it is for every other player on the field to do their bit, whether its defence, scoring goals, what ever) but if he goes beyond that making truly brilliant saves then credit is deserved, in this case either 1st or 2nd for player of the season.

Anyway, we'll never agree. If people prefer to be blinkered then go ahead, if sensible people, who don't wear rose tinted specs want to make comments and give Kuipers credit then, we will!

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I said that Kuipers did well as Cox did too, not overly blinkered there then !!

If it was out of Kuipers and one other, which player would you like to bring to the mix or you just want to have Kuipers...end of.....!

Hmmmmm who really is wearing the blinkers ??

Wrong again. It's not a case of being blinkered, as he was! Look at this thread and tell me how many people said Kuipers was man of the match. It's no coincidence he's been a fantastic player all season and again deserves man of the match today. (Also Lynch could of easily got it as well)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's not a bollox comment at all. Yes it is part of his job (as it is for every other player on the field to do their bit, whether its defence, scoring goals, what ever) but if he goes beyond that making truly brilliant saves then credit is deserved, in this case either 1st or 2nd for player of the season.

Anyway, we'll never agree. If people prefer to be blinkered then go ahead, if sensible people, who don't wear rose tinted specs want to make comments and give Kuipers credit then, we will!

You gotta stop the 'blinkered' comments because I think the irony is lost on you as you accept only an opinion that agrees with your own.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

Get off your high horse will you. Kuipers has his strengths and weaknesses like any other player, he is a very good shot stopper but has never been comfortable with the ball at his feet. Adequate for this level but not a great keeper. Those who are blinkered seem to be blinded by his great saves and fail to see anything else. Yes he did have a good game today and yes I was surprised he didn't get MOM what I was pointing out was Badger's ridiculous comments towards Wilkins.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
FDM was my man of the match today, followed closely by Matt Richards who was very good for most of the match.

Not sure about Richards, I think you will find that he got burned just prior to the goal and for the goal too.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Get off your high horse will you. Kuipers has his strengths and weaknesses like any other player, he is a very good shot stopper but has never been comfortable with the ball at his feet. Adequate for this level but not a great keeper. Those who are blinkered seem to be blinded by his great saves and fail to see anything else. Yes he did have a good game today and yes I was surprised he didn't get MOM what I was pointing out was Badger's ridiculous comments towards Wilkins.

Believe me I know Kuipers has weaknesses, they all do. I'm not on my high horse and I'm certainly not blinded.. If they're good, they're good, if they're shit, they're shit. Kuipers has been one of the best players this season (out of two - him & Forster) and I find it irritatting that people cannot recognise it because they themselves choose to just see his 'weaknesses'

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What no player ratings thread?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here