Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man of the match today

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm not knocking Coxy at all. Great talent and played well but.........

F D Blooming M deserved it today. How in Jimminy did he not get it?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Agreed.

Cox is the sponsors favourite, for some reason. Still, at least this season hasn't been the complete farce of last, as Cox picked up the award literally every other week.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Michel can save us week after week, but he doesn't deserve praise because, according to Wilkins, it's "just his job." Of course, I don't see the strikers scoring hat-tricks every week (that's their "job" using Wilkins' logic), and I don't see the defenders make five last-ditch tackles a match and keep a clean sheet (again, that's "their job" if you're expecting nothing but the best), but Wilkins won't play down their achievements so much.

I completely agree. Absolutely ridiculous! I heard that comment as well from Dean Wilkins. Kuipers goes above and beyond his 'duties' as a goal keeper. He has saved us so many goals this season. The fact that Cox got man of the match says it all.
For me, Kuipers is player or the season

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Absolutely ridiculous that Coxy got it over FDM.

He was in fantastic form for us today, and definitely deserved the nod.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
it is the sponsors vote so in reality the decision was probably made by just a couple of people - which will obviously not reflect everyones opinion

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I completely agree. Absolutely ridiculous! I heard that comment as well from Dean Wilkins. Kuipers goes above and beyond his 'duties' as a goal keeper. He has saved us so many goals this season. The fact that Cox got man of the match says it all.

So his duties are instead of making good saves, is to let them in !!

I am sure Wilkins will praise personally where he feels it is earnt and I have no doubt that Kuipers has had his fair share of praise this year.

But there is some logic in Wilkins remark, keepers do need to do there 'Duties', but also need to save his team a few times a game.

All top teams have a keeper that can do this, if they dont teams will lose regularly.

I accept that this logic can be transferred to each position on the pitch but no need to get too precious about Kuipers not getting MOM, I thought he did well and so did Cox, it was certainly out of them two for me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How can a player who cannot even get the ball in the area from a corner get man of the match ?

Mr Blunt

Apr 21, 2008
Brighton
Originally Posted by Elder for England

spot on

He is my player of the season

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sponsors = A few guys having a freebie with a few beers pick the man of the match.

Buzzer why are you surprised ?

I once went to a match on a corporate and we picked a player who did not even play. Mind you thats what a free bar does for you.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
How can a player who cannot even get the ball in the area from a corner get man of the match ?

I share your frustration, but that would exclude most corner takers at all levels from getting MOM.

I think that stats may well show that the rewards for a 'flat whipped in' corner must nearly be wiped out by the number of times it hits the first man, maybe time for teams to forgo the potential rewards as so many players seem unable to execute that skill regularly.

The easier to execute longer far post corners might not be as dangerous but I wonder whether teams might be better rewarded by a consistent delivery which may well yield greater results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here