Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Man City v Man United*** Official match Thread

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
We seem to have this explanation of how Man Utd spend as much as anyone else every single time they feature in a big game. :shrug:

You're right, but I suspect it's mainly a reaction to accusations thrown at City/Chelsea/insert wealthy club name here, that they've bought their success every time one of those teams play a big game. United seem oddly excused from the same conversation. This season I heard a piece on national radio lauding them from bringing players through, naming Jones and Smalling among them! An outrageous re-imagining of the facts that cannot go unchallenged.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
ok how about looking at it this way how much did scholes, beckham, gary&phil neville, butt, cost? all brought through there youth system, remind me again how many city players are in there team this season that are from citys youth system? city have bought the leauge end of!!!

That was the early 1990's. With the odd exception, that policy was superceded by buying in talent at often great expense, once the the threats of Wenger, and then Chelski emerged.

You can't live on the early 90's.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Wacthing Rooney toil away on his own against Kompany and Lescott riminded me of CMS last night, not one bit of decent service and an isolated figure up front, it just confirmed my belief of how good a job he has done for us this season, CMS I love ya.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You're right, but I suspect it's mainly a reaction to accusations thrown at City/Chelsea/insert wealthy club name here, that they've bought their success every time one of those teams play a big game. United seem oddly excused from the same conversation. This season I heard a piece on national radio lauding them from bringing players through, naming Jones and Smalling among them! An outrageous re-imagining of the facts that cannot go unchallenged.

Spot on:
Smalling was lauded & loved by Fulham fans, and poached for £11m.
Jones ditto for £17m.
Da Silva twins.
Etc.

Absolutely not through the Manure youth policy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So which current United players, gennuinely came through their youth system?

Giggs and Scholes, obviously. But beyond those?

I make it Evans, Cleverly and Wellbeck. Three still isn't bad, to be fair.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Spot on:
Jones ditto for £17m.
Da Silva twins.
Etc.

Absolutely not through the Manure youth policy.

This. Only red-tinted plastics in their South East heartland fails to spot:

- the many many big fees between £7 and £31m expended by them over the years,
- that this often includes established, proven and well known 18 to 20 year olds; or for fees less than that.

The Scholes, Butt production line, was a one-off, replaced by spend spend spend.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We seem to have this explanation of how Man Utd spend as much as anyone else every single time they feature in a big game. :shrug:

As for the game, I only watched the second half as my 5 a side didn't finish until 9 but I quite enjoyed it despite the lack of chances. I thought both teams worked hard to close the other team down. I quite enjoyed watching Noel Gallagher and Diego Maradona joining in with "hey jude" at the end.

Thoughts on some of the English on show; Welbeck doesn't look quite like the finished article but I reckon he will be soon enough, City did well to close down Rooney whenever he got space as he did look threatening before . Jones looked f***ing woeful at this level (I've never been convinced by him) and I have to say that Paul Scholes astonishes me - he still looks pure class on the ball.

Actually I was quite surprised and pleased to see that 13 Englishmen took the field at some point for that game (although Richards came on after 82 and Milner after 90).

I thought Lescott and Barry were both superb

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
So which current United players, gennuinely came through their youth system?

Giggs and Scholes, obviously. But beyond those?

I make it Evans, Cleverly and Wellbeck. Three still isn't bad, to be fair.

The ManU fans I know think that Evans (and Fabio) aren't good enough.

They might be part of a team that outclass say Bolton = flat track bullies.
But are wanting against a decent attacks.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Spot on:

As for Smalling, Fulham 'poached' him from Maidstone who had developed him as a youth player and I don't think Maidstone got anything. 2 years later Fulham get £11m. I don't think they were too upset!

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The ManU fans I know think that Evans (and Fabio) aren't good enough.

They might be part of a team that outclass say Bolton = flat track bullies.
But are wanting against a decent attacks.

Evans is widely considered to have been their best defender this year. Fabio is awful.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Only Danny Wellbeck coming on as sub came through the youth system at OT.

As for Smalling, Fulham 'poached' him from Maidstone who had developed him as a youth player and I don't think Maidstone got anything. 2 years later Fulham get £11m. I don't think they were too upset!

Following the thread, the point being £11m was spent, as the much hyped (time warp back to 1995) youth system, has been replaced mainly by spending big,
in fear of Arsenal previously, and latterly Chelsea & Man City.

All about big money spending now, including at ManU. Don't believe the hype.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Following the thread, the point being £11m was spent, as the much hyped (time warp back to 1995) youth system, has been replaced mainly by spending big,
in fear of Arsenal previously, and latterly Chelsea & Man City.

All about big money spending now, including at ManU. Don't believe the hype.

I wasn't disagreeing with you on ManU's spending policy at all, you presented Chris Smalling as being 'poached' from poor old Fulham, which actually couldn't be further from the truth. They were more than happy to cash in on their find!

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Evans is widely considered to have been their best defender this year. Fabio is awful.

Widely considered = some peoples opinions.

Is that the Evans that Bilbao (twice), Everton, Man City (6-1), and others embarrassed.

ManU will spend big AGAIN this Summer to deal with defensive frailties against good opposition, and a weak and old CM.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lescott has surprised me.

Was class at Wolves as a youngster, and at Everton.
Then seemed a bit of a donkey.

I'd have Cahill & Lescott as the England centre-halves this Summer.

I'd agree with this as well. Lescott looked class last night. Having watched Rio and Terry in recent weeks, I wouldn't take either of them. Will Hodgson have the metal to take a young exciting team for the future to the Euro's, or will he rely on the same old failures....

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
I'd agree with this as well. Lescott looked class last night. Having watched Rio and Terry in recent weeks, I wouldn't take either of them. Will Hodgson have the metal to take a young exciting team for the future to the Euro's, or will he rely on the same old failures....

Keep some of the experience, but ditch Barry, Terry, Crouch & Ferdinand.

All youth would be crushed, and knock their confidence.

Retain Gerrard (still class, with pace).
Surprisingly (fresh because AVB didn't play him), Lampard seems to be playing the best he ever has.
A.Cole - back to near his best.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Widely considered = some peoples opinions.

Is that the Evans that Bilbao (twice), Everton, Man City (6-1), and others embarrassed.

ManU will spend big AGAIN this Summer to deal with defensive frailties against good opposition, and a weak and old CM.

They'll try to get Vidic fit, and strengthen at full back, where the two Brazilians are terrible.

Smalling will be a very good player. Possibly Jones, too.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
That's definitely not true about Evans. The bloke is a liability, most fans I've spoken to don't rate him for big games at all.

Evra has been their best, as the season's gone on, after poor in his defensive duties for 18 month or so.

ManU fans do not rate Evans as world class or the future, so they tell me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here