Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Man City v Man United*** Official match Thread

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
ok how about looking at it this way how much did scholes, beckham, gary&phil neville, butt, cost? all brought through there youth system, remind me again how many city players are in there team this season that are from citys youth system? city have bought the leauge end of!!!

You are a manure follower then?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
The sweaty sock made himself look a right cock tonight, love it easy to see where his players get there arrogance from

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Where did that joke for a referee get 5 minutes extra time from and how did it turn into 6 minutes , once in injury time no more time gets added

I was actually surprised he blew up as soon as the free kick was taken, Hart was done for a good minute and a half and I was fully expecting him to give Utd time for one more chance.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Man Utd did seem to want to park the bus, unfortunately they left one of the windows open.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
city have bought the leauge end of!!!

Figures from Soccerbase:

£30 million for Ferdinand
£18.6 million for Carrick
£20 million for Rooney
£16.5 million for Jones
£10 million for Smalling
£31 million for Berbatov, hiding him from his own employer in the process
£17 million for Ashley Young
£18.9 million for De Gea

It's OK for United to spend but not City? This idea that City are somehow unique in having spent a lot of money on players is utter bollocks, frankly. They've necessarily had to compress that spending into a shorter period to be able to compete, and to get them in before the new financial regulations (which the big clubs will all work ways round anyway). Yet City get lambasted for 'buying' the title, whereas United seem suddenly to be the poor relation, scraping around bringing kids in and hoping for the best. Kids that, in at least one case, they'd flown from London as a child to get round the 'one hour's travel from the stadium' rule of the time.

Yeah, poor, downtrodden, don't-stand-a-chance United. Watching that purple-faced git's apoplexy as he furiously defended his exclusive right to harangue the officials and ref the game from the touchline from upstart Mancini's efforts was one of the highlights of the season.

What larks.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hilarious to hear that Old Red Nose complained that Mancini was trying to influence the ref !

Top whinging

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Figures from Soccerbase:

£20 million for Rooney
£16.5 million for Jones
£10 million for Smalling
£18.9 million for De Gea

It's OK for United to spend but not City? This idea that City are somehow unique in having spent a lot of money on players is utter bollocks, frankly. They've necessarily had to compress that spending into a shorter period to be able to compete, and to get them in before the new financial regulations (which the big clubs will all work ways round anyway). Yet City get lambasted for 'buying' the title, whereas United seem suddenly to be the poor relation, scraping around bringing kids in and hoping for the best. Kids that, in at least one case, they'd flown from London as a child to get round the 'one hour's travel from the stadium' rule of the time.

Yeah, poor, downtrodden, don't-stand-a-chance United. Watching that purple-faced git's apoplexy as he furiously defended his exclusive right to harangue the officials and ref the game from the touchline from upstart Mancini's efforts was one of the highlights of the season.

What larks.

I now don't need to add anything to the thread. Bang on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Figures from Soccerbase:

£20 million for Rooney
£16.5 million for Jones
£10 million for Smalling
£18.9 million for De Gea

What larks.

:clap:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think United got what they deserved. Fergie was interviewed before the game and said he always goes out to win games and not to draw. His team selection didn't really reflect that. On the night the better team won. I agree with the comments about City buying the league but do not want to see Fergie win it again. He is a hypocrite in his comments about referees and other teams.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I'm no united fan but that list of players was financed by transfers, TV revenue and merchandising, all whilst paying 50m a year to service a debt that has nothing to do with the club. It's hardly fair to say they are in the same situation as City.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm no united fan but that list of players was financed by transfers, TV revenue and merchandising, all whilst paying 50m a year to service a debt that has nothing to do with the club. It's hardly fair to say they are in the same situation as City.

I have said it before Utd were lucky to have been on the up when sky came into football, which also gave them the global audience - had it been City/Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal etc it would have been them with almost all the titles in the last decade.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We seem to have this explanation of how Man Utd spend as much as anyone else every single time they feature in a big game. :shrug:

As for the game, I only watched the second half as my 5 a side didn't finish until 9 but I quite enjoyed it despite the lack of chances. I thought both teams worked hard to close the other team down. I quite enjoyed watching Noel Gallagher and Diego Maradona joining in with "hey jude" at the end.

Thoughts on some of the English on show; Welbeck doesn't look quite like the finished article but I reckon he will be soon enough, City did well to close down Rooney whenever he got space as he did look threatening before . Jones looked f***ing woeful at this level (I've never been convinced by him) and I have to say that Paul Scholes astonishes me - he still looks pure class on the ball.

Actually I was quite surprised and pleased to see that 13 Englishmen took the field at some point for that game (although Richards came on after 82 and Milner after 90).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thoughts on some of the English on show; Welbeck doesn't look quite like the finished article but I reckon he will be soon enough, City did well to close down Rooney whenever he got space as he did look threatening before . Jones looked f***ing woeful at this level (I've never been convinced by him) and I have to say that Paul Scholes astonishes me - he still looks pure class on the ball.

Actually I was quite surprised and pleased to see that 13 Englishmen took the field at some point for that game (although Richards came on after 82 and Milner after 90).

Both clubs have a core of English players. this is often overlooked with City, as people immediately think of Tevez, Toure, Aguero, etc, but Hart, Barry, Lescott, Richards, Milner and Johnson have all featured to varying degrees.

England could choose a fairly competitive young side, from just these two clubs:

....................Hart
Richards..Smalling..Lescott.....Milner
Johnson...Cleverly...Barry....Young
........Wellbeck..Rooney

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here