Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man City memories

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Only seen them once - at the Goldstone in 1989 when we won 2-1 (Brightwell OG and Curbishley retaken pen)... but this was the game when head ball boy Keith Cuss became a cult legend by wasting time and heading the ball into the West terrace... a feat for which he got sacked!

Worth noting also that amongst the away end hoisting yellow bananas everywhere were messrs Noel and Liam Gallagher (as mentioned in some interview Noel did on Fantasy Football League)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Michael Robinson running them ragged in the Cup game on the way to the final with John Bond resigning as their manager the next day

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That 2-1 win at the Goldstone was IMMENSE.
We were in a relegation dogfight with Birmingham, Walsall and Shrewsbury that season, whilst City were in the top two scrapping with Chelsea for promotion. That was a HUGE three points for us that afternoon.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Gerry Ryan's snakey box to box run on the right wing before slotting the ball away.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I saw them beating us soundly at Maine Road in, I think, 1984. They had Gordon Smith and, I think, Mick McCarthy playing for them. It was surprisingly easy to park right outside the ground - before a load of little kids came up and asked if they could "mind our car"...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think I remember him saying that the score didn't reflect the game and that they should have won!!

was it 4-0 and not long after we'd signed Robinson from them ? :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Only seen them once - at the Goldstone in 1989 when we won 2-1 (Brightwell OG and Curbishley retaken pen)... but this was the game when head ball boy Keith Cuss became a cult legend by wasting time and heading the ball into the West terrace... a feat for which he got sacked!

Worth noting also that amongst the away end hoisting yellow bananas everywhere were messrs Noel and Liam Gallagher (as mentioned in some interview Noel did on Fantasy Football League)

That was a brilliant game, and a big result for us at the time.

What happened to Keith Cuss (apart from being sacked, I mean)? Is he still on the scene now?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Being about 9 years old and getting proper soaked in an afternoon of torrential rain so hard i could barely see the other end of the ground.

Joe Corrigan kicking the ball over our crossbar against the wind:eek:

B.H.A. Brady

Sussex by the Sea!
Mar 29, 2008
Sussex
brighton%20man%20city.bmp

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
2 1 loss at City in 1989

weren't many Albion in that exposed corner of Maine Road that day

think Bremner scored

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I remember going to Maine Rd and cannot remember the score or much about the match but do remember being very impressed that as we came out of the ground the Evening Sports paper was being printed in a lorry/caravan in the car park and we could buy a copy as we left the ground.

Jan 30, 2008
got a lovely reception there in 84 as we were dropped off outside a boozer near the ground after being bused in from the train station:lol:

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't it Kevin Reeves that sent us down in 83?.....header at the north end about 20 mins from the end....

I remember I bought my sister one of those big foam cup final hands before the game and feeling rather anxious wearing said hand squeezing onto a train from Hove to Brighton packed full with Man City fans - apart from me and my mate the only other Brighton fan in the carriage was hiding in an overhead luggage rack:lolol:

I remember that game too! Mr Cuss headed the ball out right down by the South West Corner if I am no mistaken, it pissed of the City players big time!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Particuarly gratifying to hear the Goldstone loudly reverberate to the sound of " John Bond, Shut your mouth" after the jewellery laiden idiot's team had been smashed and outplayed in the Cup. Great day.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The ****ish Dennis Tueart relegating us in 1983 at the Goldstone

That's the only time I can remember trying to get involved in hooliganism (I've been caught up in it a few times). I used to stand on the East Terrace on the half way line and when we had lost, I was walking up the lane toward Hove Park in tears (I know, I know). As we crossed into Old Shoreham Road I saw the City fans coming out and taunting us. I lost my cool and just legged it towards them - ignoring the vast numbers of police and dogs. I was caught by a burly policeman who calmed me down and turned me round - I got very lucky I believe. I could have been clubbed by the police or the Man City fans. No idea why I did it - have never done it before or since.

Obviously happy memories of the Cup game and others at the Goldstone. Didn't we beat them 4-0 or 4-1 in the league once as well (three goals in 15 minutes) or am I confusing it with the Cup game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here