Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man City memories

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Obviously happy memories of the Cup game and others at the Goldstone. Didn't we beat them 4-0 or 4-1 in the league once as well (three goals in 15 minutes) or am I confusing it with the Cup game?

I can remember one game, which I think was a league game rather than the cup game, but around about the same time as the cup game when Gordon Smith scored from about 25 yards. Best game he had for us, I think.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have a scar across the bridge of my nose.

I got it at the Brighton v Man City FA Cup 4th Round tie in February 1983, when we won 4-0. During the warm-up, I was leaning with my back to the security fencing, talking to a couple of mates. I turned round and, as you do, leaned my face up against the fencing. At that exact moment, a ball came hurtling out of nowhere, smacking me full in the face. Unfortunately, as I was leaning, face-on, to the fence, the horizontal bar dug into my nose, sending blood everywhere.

I missed the first goal. Luckily, the Match of the Day cameras were there, and I managed to see it later.

Only seen them once - at the Goldstone in 1989 when we won 2-1 (Brightwell OG and Curbishley retaken pen)... but this was the game when head ball boy Keith Cuss became a cult legend by wasting time and heading the ball into the West terrace... a feat for which he got sacked!

Worth noting also that amongst the away end hoisting yellow bananas everywhere were messrs Noel and Liam Gallagher (as mentioned in some interview Noel did on Fantasy Football League)

man City played in their away kit of white with purple stripes:eek:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
man City played in their away kit of white with purple stripes:eek:

wasn't it described by umbro as white with burgundy 3 quarter stripes, edged with a marine blue quarter width stripe. The material was contra shadow diamonds

bank notes would have been easier to forge than that.

I got it at the Brighton v Man City FA Cup 4th Round tie in February 1983, when we won 4-0. During the warm-up, I was leaning with my back to the security fencing, talking to a couple of mates. I turned round and, as you do, leaned my face up against the fencing. At that exact moment, a ball came hurtling out of nowhere, smacking me full in the face. Unfortunately, as I was leaning, face-on, to the fence, the horizontal bar dug into my nose, sending blood everywhere.

I missed the first goal. Luckily, the Match of the Day cameras were there, and I managed to see it later.

I'm sure the fourth round was the last week in january.

Fifth round ws Liverpool away on something like 12 feb

wasn't it described by umbro as white with burgundy 3 quarter stripes, edged with a marine blue quarter width stripe. The material was contra shadow diamonds

bank notes would have been easier to forge than that.

this is the one i rememebr from 89

hideous - nearly made Gary megson look like a footballer

Man-City-89-Away.jpg

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
That's the only time I can remember trying to get involved in hooliganism (I've been caught up in it a few times). I used to stand on the East Terrace on the half way line and when we had lost, I was walking up the lane toward Hove Park in tears (I know, I know). As we crossed into Old Shoreham Road I saw the City fans coming out and taunting us. I lost my cool and just legged it towards them - ignoring the vast numbers of police and dogs. I was caught by a burly policeman who calmed me down and turned me round - I got very lucky I believe. I could have been clubbed by the police or the Man City fans. No idea why I did it - have never done it before or since.

Obviously happy memories of the Cup game and others at the Goldstone. Didn't we beat them 4-0 or 4-1 in the league once as well (three goals in 15 minutes) or am I confusing it with the Cup game?

I remember the City fans goading us after we had been relegated.......I also remember a good few Brighton fans not to happy at the event and wanting to take them on!!! I think you may have been one off many!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wasn't it Kevin Reeves that sent us down in 83?.....header at the north end about 20 mins from the end....

I always remembered it as Paul Power (but it was def a header in front of the North Stand). I remember walking away from the ground that day wondering how we could have been so poor against a team we totally thrashed in the Cup game.

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
I remember the City fans goading us after we had been relegated.......I also remember a good few Brighton fans not to happy at the event and wanting to take them on!!! I think you may have been one off many!

Thinking about it maybe they just beat us...............Damn Memory

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here