Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Man City accused of breaking EPL financial rules

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is all connected

The Top six are waiting for the PL to fail to deal with City and using it as an excuse to move into a super league.

New European Super League announced, to replace Champions League

Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus understood to have contacted more than 50 clubs in the hope of creating a new European tournament

By Sam Wallace, Chief Football Writer 9 February 2023 • 9:24am

The European Super League backers have revealed today that they want to launch a new version of the project that crashed two years ago: a multi-division competition of 60 to 80 teams with no permanent members, and a minimum of 14 games per club, per season.

The announcement was made in various European newspapers by A22, the Madrid-based sister company of the Super League (ESL), and timed to coincide with a new push from the three remaining rebels Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus to continue their battle with Uefa.

A22 claim that the new project is a result of detailed conversations with clubs around Europe on the financial problems facing them. For the past few months A22 and the ESL have focused their attacks on the wealth of the Premier League, its dominance of the transfer market and the effect that has on other European leagues with less lucrative television deals.

There are no details yet on how the original 60 to 80 teams would be constituted or how they would drop out of the proposed competition to make way for new clubs. The original ESL, in April 2021, was pilloried for offering permanent membership to its founding clubs of which six were from the Premier League: the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur.

The format of the proposed new Super League has been kept a secret by Real, Barcelona and Juventus, but even now there are still questions about how it might work – were it ever given the legal room to operate. A22, as well as its major backers like Real president Florentino Perez, has claimed in the past that there would be greater solidarity payments for clubs who do not participate in European competitions.
Javier Tebas, the president of La Liga, was among the first to respond to today's announcement. He tweeted: "The Super League is the wolf, who today disguises himself as a granny to try to fool European football, but his nose and his teeth are very big. Four divisions in Europe? Of course the [top division] for them [the founding clubs], as in the 2019 plan. Governance of the clubs? Of course only from the big ones."

'Clubs bear the entrepreneurial risk in football'
Writing in the German newspaper Welt, the chief executive of A22, Bernd Reichart, continued the attack on Uefa by claiming that clubs have no say in the running of its competitions. He said: “It is the clubs that bear the entrepreneurial risk in football. But when it comes to important decisions, they are too often forced to stand idly by from the sidelines as the sporting and financial foundations run under their hands. Our talks have also made it clear that it is often impossible for clubs to raise their voices publicly against a system that uses the threat of sanctions to prevent opposition.”

Reichart made other claims about supporting the women’s game, supporting domestic competitions, the health of the players and financial sustainability rules and fan experience. There are pledges to pursue all these issues but no details on how much revenue will be generated to do so or who might run the ESL. In its first iteration in 2021, power was concentrated in the hands of Perez; Andrea Agnelli, the former Juventus chairman; and Manchester United co-owner Joel Glazer.

It is the most powerful clubs outside the rebel three who have helped shape the new format for Uefa's Champions League post 2024 – the so-called “Swiss model” which will have 36 teams in a single division playing ten group stage games instead of the current six. As for the wealth of those competitions, Uefa and the powerful European Club Association which represents clubs across Europe co-own a joint venture that controls all the revenue from the Champion League, Europa League and Europa Conference League.

The original European Super League was dealt a major blow before Christmas in its long-running legal case with Uefa in the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg. The advocate-general Athanasios Rantos’ advice to the court was heavily in favour of the Uefa monopoly.
The advocate-general’s advice is not binding to the ECJ judges but in most cases it is followed. He found that EU competition law was compatible with the restrictions that Uefa and Fifa’s power asserted over football and “proportionate” for achieving Uefa's “legitimate objectives” in line with the EU policy on sport.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They've contacted 60 to 80 teams, eh?

We're all thinking it.

Are we one of them?

Are we one of the biggest 60-80 teams in Europe? Definitely. But how many do they want per league?

Given how many clubs have been contacted, surely some more will leak soon about the format plans etc.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They've contacted 60 to 80 teams, eh?

We're all thinking it.

Are we one of them?

Are we one of the biggest 60-80 teams in Europe? Definitely. But how many do they want per league?

Given how many clubs have been contacted, surely some more will leak soon about the format plans etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A22 claim that the new project is a result of detailed conversations with clubs around Europe on the financial problems facing them. For the past few months A22 and the ESL have focused their attacks on the wealth of the Premier League, its dominance of the transfer market and the effect that has on other European leagues with less lucrative television deals.
What a load of bollox. Madrid were happy to take the best players from the PL while it suited them, and now that the PL are attracting more viewers, thanks to sharing the wealth more than La Liga, they start screaming for a policeman. Pathetic.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did you misunderstand my post I wonder - I have not given any ‘reports’ or ‘stories’ any more weight than they deserve but neither did I base my comments on ‘tabloid bullshitters or ‘twitter speculators’ - I just said there are ‘rumours’ that Qatar has expressed interest in buying shares in Man U, Liverpool and Spurs - Give me some credibility please 😉
I also meant ‘interest‘ btw as in making enquiries or stating in interviews that Qatar’s is keen to invest in PL Clubs not literally they’ve already bought a financial ‘interest’ in these clubs -

I first heard this interest expressed around the time of the WC in an interview with a representative of Qatar’s Investment Authority and read several follow up articles about Qatar’s State interest in diversification from a GPD based on fossil fuel dependency into global football leagues but I’ve lost the source links to those unfortunately.

HOWEVER

Maybe you will find the sources I have quoted below more respectable than the ones you were reading?

“Qatar recently made decision to invest in Premier League”
(Bloomberg 10 Jan 2023)

“The latest major news in elite football surrounding owners is that Liverpool and Manchester United, two of the biggest clubs in the world, are essentially up for sale. That means all types of wealth have been linked with a purchase of either club, or even both. Tottenham Hotspur are also said to be a possible purchase.

One group that has been linked heavily with both clubs is the QIA (Qatar Investment Authority).”

(90Mins Feb 6 2023)

Spurs has received interest from Qatar:

“In the first week of January, Al-Khelaifi met in London with the Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy for exploratory conversations, as first reported by CBS. On the agenda was a possible minority investment into Tottenham by Qatar, with percentages of up to 15 per cent initially on the table.

This would not give QSI a two-thirds stake, nor would Al-Khelaifi become a director, which would mean no conflict with UEFA regulations. These conversations are continuing and Al-Khelaifi spent two weeks in London overall.”

(Athletic - Jan 24 2023)

As has Manchester United - but as I said earlier, unless QIS back off from PSG and thereby comply with Uefa, they are not likely to be interested in taking just a minority share:

“Sources close to QSI, who asked not to be named when relaying private conversations, have confirmed to The Athletic that there is interest in Manchester United.”
(Athletic Jan 24 2023)

As for Liverpool, it still remains speculation and rumours but at this stage unlikely

Sorry there’s a pay wall on this one
It’s not personal or about you, I’m referring to baseless internet stuff. I’m interested in football finance and ownership.

Highly respected Martin Broughton in the Telegraph tonight, who’s still involved, sees an unwillingness for Middle Eastern billionaires to spend the mega bucks on ManI and Liverpool. In part because they live in London.

Reactions: cjd

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Also turns out we weren't one of the clubs that tried to uphold their champions league ban.

These are the clubs for those who care who tried to get City kicked out:

Arsenal
Burnley
Chelsea
Leicester
Liverpool
Man United
Newcastle
Tottenham
Wolves

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The multi talented Guardiola, now privy to all money movements from Abu Dhabi to ManC, with a spiders web diagram of all connected parties on his study wall and privy to 'image rights' contracts with Mancini and players in tax havens.

"I'm fully convinced that we will be innocent."
I'm certain he knows partly what's been happening

They play in front partial empty stadium for a decent number of games then they claim they make more than Man United and Liverpool

His little paddy about the other clubs wanting rules to be followed is weird

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm certain he knows partly what's been happening

They play in front partial empty stadium for a decent number of games then they claim they make more than Man United and Liverpool

His little paddy about the other clubs wanting rules to be followed is weird
Me too.

95% of managers/coaches are not involved in player contract major terms, wages, the funding thereof, in every single signing and other financial stuff.

The 5% are awful delegators and control freaks - Wenger and Guardiola.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It's a shame that Guardiola, obviously a great manager, chose only to manage huge clubs with huge financial backers, in current case allegedly hugely corrupt. In that instance he's as corrupt as them. Can't wait until he flounces off, as he surely will.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He’s just defending his club, as his bosses and fans would expect him to. These are still just charges with a long time for this to all play out. He very possibly won’t even be at the club when verdicts are reached by the panel/appeals process is followed.

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
I’m going to do ‘a Keegan’, I’d love it if they were found guilty.
On a footballing note, if Pep had a team not made/bought of top shelf players, could he coach them to become better players?
Is he capable of; can he, improve players?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s just defending his club, as his bosses and fans would expect him to. These are still just charges with a long time for this to all play out. He very possibly won’t even be at the club when verdicts are reached by the panel/appeals process is followed.
He’s gone the other way. Today emphatic that he’s there to stay for a long time to come.

Backtracking on plans to leave when his contract’s up for a new challenge and the previous statement that he’d walk away if he found out ManC had broken FFP rules.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He’s gone the other way. Today emphatic that he’s there to stay for a long time to come.

Backtracking on plans to leave when his contract’s up for a new challenge and the previous statement that he’d walk away if he found out ManC had broken FFP rules.
Yep, another cheque from some dodgy company no one has ever heard of. Maybe from the bank of Double Diamond.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep, another cheque from some dodgy company no one has ever heard of. Maybe from the bank of Double Diamond.
No one messes with Mansour & Guardiola.

They’re going to punish the jealous football world by fighting these charges on the beaches. Then even if proven guilty as crooked, stay around to punish the football world some more.

On bluemoon several arse licking posters say with attempted menace, no one messes with Mansour and Khaldoon.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
They won numerous trophies and points you strip cheats of medals in other sports so I dont see why football should be any different. They probably thought it was worth it as a fine and a few points compared to all the success was worth it. So throw them into the conference, massive fine that strips away all their PL players and send that cvnt Pep to the tower. Fvck man city.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here