Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Malwarebytes and spybot both find

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Malwarebytes and spybot both find and cant get rid of a nasty bit of work called "Windows Protection Suite" on my granddaughters laptop,its one of those supposed antivirus detectors that want to hijack your 'puter and get you to give your credit card details to really dodgy geezers.
Anyone know of any freeware that will kill this bastard?
thanks for any help that dont include "turn it off and back on again".

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough

cheers neil tried that-those that aint as technical as f*** for anyone without a programming degree are all ones that appear to do a scan then charge you for a (possibly,just like Windows protection suit) potentially dodgy scam.that is how her computer got infected
I had hoped to get a response from some of our experts on here who if they cant recommend freeware at least a site I could trust my credit card details to.

thanks for your help anyway.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Usually this nasty thing will not let you download,tried it and it took about two hours to get to the site,then the virus shut the compuier down,got another laptop till I find how to cure the thing!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
cheers neil tried that-those that aint as technical as f*** for anyone without a programming degree are all ones that appear to do a scan then charge you for a (possibly,just like Windows protection suit) potentially dodgy scam.that is how her computer got infected
I had hoped to get a response from some of our experts on here who if they cant recommend freeware at least a site I could trust my credit card details to.

thanks for your help anyway.

Sorry for the flippant reply, but I've had to deal with these day in day out for years and I'm afraid it looks like you will need a bit of know how to remove this little bastard.

Remove Windows Protection Suite (Removal Info) For XP/Vista

That link appears to give you clear instructions and little subsections about how to do it, but to be honest if you aren't comfortable then I suggest finding someone who is confident and chucking a few quid their way - I most certainly wouldn't entrust your credit card for any tool claims it can remove these infections.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well actually Spybot should get rid of it, another good freebie is the AVG anti virus, but you should have deleted it with spybot in all honesty.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I'm afraid these are usually quite clever infections that are almost immune to anti virus / anti spyware packages so they require someone with confidence to manually remove them.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Link dont work its_neil

These things usually block websites that tell you how to remove em.

Manual Windows Protection Suite Removal Instructions:

Stop Windows Protection Suite Processes:
(Learn how to do this)
WI345d.exe
CLSV.exe
snl2w.exe
std.exe
WindowsProtectionSuite.exe

Unregister Personal Antivirus DLL Files:
(Learn how to do this)
tempdoc.dll
energy.dll

Find and Delete these Windows Protection Suite Files:
(Learn how to do this)
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Windows Protection Suite.lnk
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Windows Protection Suite
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Windows Protection Suite\cookies.sqlite
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Windows Protection Suite\Instructions.ini
%UserProfile%\Desktop\Windows Protection Suite.lnk
%UserProfile%\Recent\ANTIGEN.drv
%UserProfile%\Recent\CLSV.exe
%UserProfile%\Recent\DBOLE.drv
%UserProfile%\Recent\dudl.sys
%UserProfile%\Recent\energy.dll
%UserProfile%\Recent\grid.dll
%UserProfile%\Recent\grid.sys
%UserProfile%\Recent\kernel32.dll
%UserProfile%\Recent\tempdoc.dll
%UserProfile%\Recent\PE.dll
%UserProfile%\Recent\PE.tmp
%UserProfile%\Recent\runddl.dll
%UserProfile%\Recent\SM.dll
%UserProfile%\Recent\snl2w.exe
%UserProfile%\Recent\std.exe
c:\Program Files\WindowsProtectionSuite\WindowsProtectionSuite.exe
c:\Program Files\WindowsProtectionSuite\WindowsProtectionSuite.url
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\WindowsProtectionSuite
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\WindowsProtectionSuite.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\WindowsProtectionSuite\WindowsProtectionSuite.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\WindowsProtectionSuite\WindowsProtectionSuite Website.lnk
%UserProfile%\Desktop\WindowsProtectionSuite.exe
C:\%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Windows Protection Suite 2009.lnk
C:\%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Protection Suite 2009.lnk
C:\%UserProfile%\Application Data\Windows Protection Suite 2009
C:\%UserProfile%\Application Data\Windows Protection Suite 2009\Instructions.ini
C:\%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Windows Protection Suite 2009.lnk
C:\%UserProfile%\Desktop\Windows Protection Suite 2009.lnk
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\345d567
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\345d567\WINSSSys
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\WINSSSys
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\345d567\26.mof
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\345d567\mozcrt19.dll
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\345d567\sqlite3.dll
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\345d567\WI345d.exe
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\345d567\WINSS.ico
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\345d567\working.log
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\345d567\WINSSSys\vd952342.bd
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\WINSSSys\winss.cfg
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Windows Protection Suite.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Protection Suite.lnk
c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\search.xml

Remove Windows Protection Suite Registry Values:
(Learn how to do this)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “WindowsProtectionSuite”

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I'm no wizard at this sort of thing. Had an identical problem some months ago and it seemed to have got passed my McAfee security. I got rid of it by opening my computer in safe mode and then I ran a full scan using the Mcafee. It work for me.

FFF

Apr 3, 2010
I have Avast! Free Antivirus and it has the perfect tool for dealing with this. It's called Boot-Time Scan, which you schedule for the next time you start up your computer. It then runs a scan before Windows is loaded, and before potential malware has a chance to activate. It gives you a list of infected files and gives you the option of deleting them.

If that doesn't work, is it definately plugged in?

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
I have Avast! Free Antivirus and it has the perfect tool for dealing with this. It's called Boot-Time Scan, which you schedule for the next time you start up your computer. It then runs a scan before Windows is loaded, and before potential malware has a chance to activate. It gives you a list of infected files and gives you the option of deleting them.

If that doesn't work, is it definately plugged in?
Oh yes deffo plugged in and works since I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode.It repaired enough of the damage to make it look like the problem was gone But I cant trust it not to come back as spybot still finds but cant remove it.
Thanks for the above advice,will give it a go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here