Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Malick Yalcouye **Singed 12/07/2024**

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Why?… if he is good enough he’s old enough. Yamal is 16 and played 38 games for Barca last season.
2 points.
La Liga is less intense, and less physical.
Barcelona and the Spanish national side have come in for some criticism in recent years, for burning out their young talent.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
2 points.
Barcelona and the Spanish national side have come in for some criticism in recent years, for burning out their young talent.
I think another, is that you can do this, if the player is likely to reach the Mbappe, Messi sort of level, which at age 16 is Yamal's trajectory

If they are at the level below, still likely to have a very good career, but not global superstar, then a more normal initiation to top level football is advisable

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
We need him as a home grown player. Will also add to future value. I think he stays in UK

He doesn’t need to stay in the UK to count as an HGP.

William Saliba joined Arsenal at 18 and spent 3 seasons on loan in France and still counts as a home grown player. A loan transfer isn’t permanent so the player is still considered registered with his parent club as well for the 36 months/3 seasons criteria of HGP qualification.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
2 points.
So if he's any good, play him every week, burn him out in 2 seasons then sell him on for £100m and let it become someone else's problem

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He doesn’t need to stay in the UK to count as an HGP.

William Saliba joined Arsenal at 18 and spent 3 seasons on loan in France and still counts as a home grown player. A loan transfer isn’t permanent so the player is still considered registered with his parent club as well for the 36 months/3 seasons criteria of HGP qualification.
Good knowledge.

Seems a ridiculous situation though - and entirely against the spirit of the HGP rules.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Good knowledge.

Seems a ridiculous situation though - and entirely against the spirit of the HGP rules.

It does, especially when you consider we couldn’t count Glenn Murray as home grown for the first PL season at least.

There was talk about dropping the HGP age to 18 rather than 21 and that would pretty much rule out any player born outside of the UK unless they had a right to live here as they wouldn’t be able to move before their 18th birthday.

Clubs will vote against any changes to the current setup though as they’ll argue limiting loans to the UK will harm players development rather than care that the HGP rules are meant to be there to help continued development of English/British players.

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
It does, especially when you consider we couldn’t count Glenn Murray as home grown for the first PL season at least.

There was talk about dropping the HGP age to 18 rather than 21 and that would pretty much rule out any player born outside of the UK unless they had a right to live here as they wouldn’t be able to move before their 18th birthday.

Clubs will vote against any changes to the current setup though as they’ll argue limiting loans to the UK will harm players development rather than care that the HGP rules are meant to be there to help continued development of English/British players.
I think the other argument they have against dropping it to 18 is it would disadvantage EPL teams in the European competitions.

I can't see the money-driven English clubs ever wanting to lower it just to benefit the national team.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Given we have Wieffer and Baleba for this defensive midfield enforcer role, I'd have thought he'd go on loan, but not back to Sweden.

We seem to love sending players to the Eredivisie but maybe he needs more of a physical challenge than that league. Maybe one of the Ligue 1 bottom half teams, presumably as a Malian he already speaks French? Useless speculation.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I think the other argument they have against dropping it to 18 is it would disadvantage EPL teams in the European competitions.

I can't see the money-driven English clubs ever wanting to lower it just to benefit the national team.

European competitions have their own rules for HGPs which apply across the board to every team taking part. So a change in the HGP age for the PL wouldn’t necessarily have a detrimental effect in those competitions because HGP rules would still be set by UEFA.

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
European competitions have their own rules for HGPs which apply across the board to every team taking part. So a change in the HGP age for the PL wouldn’t necessarily have a detrimental effect in those competitions because HGP rules would still be set by UEFA.
Granted, but are EPL clubs going to sign those players in the first place, if they can't play in the EPL?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Granted, but are EPL clubs going to sign those players in the first place, if they can't play in the EPL?

I think they still would. I don’t think a change to the HGP rules would have stopped us signing the likes of Facundo or Enciso (they will both become HGP if they are still with us after the age of 21).

Even if they changed the HGP age to 18, there was no proposal to change the age limit for the 25 man squad so they’d still have 3 years of EPL football where they don’t need to be named in the squad anyway. It may make it harder for some to eventually make the grade but they’d still be sold on anyway.

It’s all hypothetical anyway as the PL clubs rejected the proposals a long time ago.

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
I think they still would. I don’t think a change to the HGP rules would have stopped us signing the likes of Facundo or Enciso (they will both become HGP if they are still with us after the age of 21).

Even if they changed the HGP age to 18, there was no proposal to change the age limit for the 25 man squad so they’d still have 3 years of EPL football where they don’t need to be named in the squad anyway. It may make it harder for some to eventually make the grade but they’d still be sold on anyway.

It’s all hypothetical anyway as the PL clubs rejected the proposals a long time ago.
But we'd be signing them with the intention they either become one of our 17 non-HGP when they hit 21, or get sold. We'd also have less money to take a punt on foreign youngsters if we had to either bring through or buy at least 8 British players to have a full squad for the domestic league. And those Brits available might not be as good, especially with every club needing 8 - plus they'd have even more Brit-inflation cost attached than Declan Rice.

They'd also be a non-HGP for any buying EPL club, so less likely to get their big move to a Man Utd or a Chelsea after us, and more difficult for us to sell on. Would we really have signed them, and would they have come in the first place?

We'd then be playing against e.g. Ajax in the Europa, who wouldn't have their domestic squad restricted in that way (regardless of what UEFA allows). I can see why clubs would think that put them at a disadvantage.

But as you say, all hypothetical - fun musings but I won't derail the thread further :lol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Translating roughly to “I have absolutely no idea but I’ll say maybe, maybe not so I can say I knew”
He’s just reporting where the club probably are. The squad is in flux, they’ve a pre season to see how he adapts, the coach will want a good luck and a loan - at some point - is certain to be one of the options. I’d be amazed if they’d be ruling out any of the above before he’s arrived unlike some of the loans that are announced on day 1 . (Eg Adingra, MacAllister etc)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here