Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Making stock - boiling bones

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Why is this that TV chefs make you feel like a culinary leper should you not make your stock from boiling up the bones of your joint leftovers. Every time that i have tried to do this I get a revolting, amaemic looking stock and a kitchen that stinks. Anybody got any tips? - or should I stick to stock cubes?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You shouldn't boil stock. It should be a very gentle simmer.

I make it all the time, it's very simple and makes the difference for a good soup or risotto

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The more upmarket supermarkets (Waitrose etc) sell tubs of chilled stock, which is a good if slightly expensive compromise between cubes and the faff of making your own.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Why is this that TV chefs make you feel like a culinary leper should you not make your stock from boiling up the bones of your joint leftovers. Every time that i have tried to do this I get a revolting, amaemic looking stock and a kitchen that stinks. Anybody got any tips? - or should I stick to stock cubes?

Don't used cooked bones.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That's crazy talk

The whole point of a good stock is to get the flavour, nutrition and gelatinous qualities from the bones, marrow, connective tissues etc.., if you use bones that have already been cooked, much of this has gone, so you get an insipid result.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I make stock with the carcass left from the roast chicken, mainly because it seems such a waste to throw it away when there are still bits of chicken on it.

Remove the skin and stick in a big pot. Add a halved onion studded with about six cloves, some peppercorns, a carrot and a leek if you have them and a bouquet garni or handful of whatever fresh herbs you have (I tie mine in a bundle using the elastic from the chicken). Cover with water, bring to the boil then simmer uncovered for an hour or so.

The cloves add to the taste AND make it smell nice while simmering.

Oh - when you've finished, let it cool then strain into a bowl and put in the fridge overnight. It's then easier to skim off any fat from the top. Then use (for soups/risottos etc) or decant into freezer bags.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
You shouldn't boil stock. It should be a very gentle simmer.

A-ha - I'll try next time.

I make stock with the carcass left from the roast chicken, mainly because it seems such a waste to throw it away when there are still bits of chicken on it.

Remove the skin and stick in a big pot. Add a halved onion studded with about six cloves, some peppercorns, a carrot and a leek if you have them and a bouquet garni or handful of whatever fresh herbs you have (I tie mine in a bundle using the elastic from the chicken). Cover with water, bring to the boil then simmer uncovered for an hour or so.

Oh - when you've finished, let it cool then strain into a bowl and put in the fridge overnight. It's then easier to skim off any fat from the top. Then use (for soups/risottos etc) or decant into freezer bags.

useful advice - thanks.

:lolol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The whole point of a good stock is to get the flavour, nutrition and gelatinous qualities from the bones, marrow, connective tissues etc.., if you use bones that have already been cooked, much of this has gone, so you get an insipid result.
My wife makes a perfectly good stock with the chicken carcass similar to Lush's method. I think the difference is that it's the whole carcass (with all the bits of chicken and gristle and stuff) rather than just bones.

Oh, and others have said - simmer don't boil.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I always put, chicken carcass (including any skin and fat, it's all good), whole carrots, onions (skin on), celery, parsley, bay leaf. Also add in any ends of carrot and onion you have from prepping the roast. Bring to simmer leave for an hour or so, till it cools and then strain.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

That reads like an excerpt from a lost episode of The Good Life :lolol:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Don't used cooked bones.

Thats the essential for me! Stick em in a roasting tray veg and all if you like. Brings out the best flavours etc

absolutely fegging pointless though - do you really expect me to buy a shed load of 'fresh' bones to boil them up for stock. If so you are mad:clap2:

easier, and cheaper (when you take into account the bouquet garnie etc etc), to buy fresh stock

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You can use cooked or non cooked bones, depends on what flavour you want.

Stock made from the left overs of a cooked chicken is loverly.

The best stock (I think) is made in a slow cooker over night.

If you can be bothered you can also throw raw egg white in, which all the "impurities" cling too then sieve through a cloth.

Personally, I'm a bit in the Marco Pierre White camp and use chicken stock cubes all the time.

The best (which the most natural flavour) are Maggi if you can get them. The OXO ones are vile.

They are also very very dry, so you can crumble one up and use as seasoning (e.g. rice, mince) without the rice going gloopy.

If you want to get rid of the excess fat, put the stock into a pint glass and let to cool. The fat will float to the top and will be easy to remove.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
you reckon the Chefs really make the stock themselves, other than in front of a TV camera?

As most people who work in a professional kitchen are there between 10am until late at night it would seem to me to be relatively easy to find the time to make your own stock. So yes i think it is possible for them, or their staff, to make their own stock

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here