Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Making stock - boiling bones

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Most professional kitchens I have been in have a stockpot on the go all day and all the vegetable peelings, meat wobbly bit cut offs, bones etc are just chucked in and left simmering. They dont conscientiously make a stockpot as a task.

brulee

Aug 12, 2008
blacken the onions off first to make the stock darker and use cold water and a little tomatoe puree. simmer for 5 hours

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I make stock with the carcass left from the roast chicken, mainly because it seems such a waste to throw it away when there are still bits of chicken on it.

Remove the skin and stick in a big pot. Add a halved onion studded with about six cloves, some peppercorns, a carrot and a leek if you have them and a bouquet garni or handful of whatever fresh herbs you have (I tie mine in a bundle using the elastic from the chicken). Cover with water, bring to the boil then simmer uncovered for an hour or so.

The cloves add to the taste AND make it smell nice while simmering.

Oh - when you've finished, let it cool then strain into a bowl and put in the fridge overnight. It's then easier to skim off any fat from the top. Then use (for soups/risottos etc) or decant into freezer bags.

I've quoted that with the sole purpose of saying:-
'And for tea the following night you have a big bowl of risotto', only to see you included that at the end.
Curse you for stealing my smugging time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here