Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MAJOR Playstation 3 Error

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think you're getting a little over defensive there.

Nobody is doubting that the cheaper 360 console that has been around longer and has a larger software catalogue has sold more than the PS3.

But wouldn't you know it Vauxhall have sold more cars than Ferrari however I know which marque I'd rather have in my garage.

As explained the PS3 had a problem, its FIRST to affect lots of owners, and Sony worked tirelessly to keep people informed and updated before rectifying the problem within 24 hours. All in all NO HARM DONE.

This is worlds away from the times I had an Xbox 360 that just gave up working and I was forced to go over a week without it whilst Microsoft repaired it.

The reason I claimed the 360 was a lauging stock is that they were sold with a serious hardware error that caused great numbers of the machines to fail completely and instead of Microsoft recalling the product they've simply operated an ad hoc repair or replace service as and when each of them goes wrong.

When I buy an expensive piece of hardware I do NOT expect to be using it only until the day comes (and it will come) that it fails and I need to request a repair. And for this reason the 360 deserves its reputation as a bit of an embarrassment for MS.

The fact is the PS3 had a software fault that has upset some people, the problem was resolved quickly and easily with no loss of data and the most people have had to go without their consoles is 24 hours. You cannot compare this with the weeks you can be without a 360 once it inevitably fails.

As I mentioned earlier I have owned 360's and I now own a PS3 and a Wii so it's not a case of jealousy of the other machine, I'm simply stating the facts. One only has to look at the original PS3 to see that it is a vastly superior piece of kit to the plastic white noisy Microsoft box

How come you've got electricity at the bottom of the ocean?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
That's where they lay the cables

With one of these:

koushin01.jpg

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Strictly speaking this is Sony's second major issue. The first one was the firmware update that turned your PS3 into a rather large and shiny doorstop (v2.40).

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/03/firmware_240_withdrawn/

They stopped the firmware release, recoded it and sent it out again within a week and anyone that had a fried PS3 got a replacement.

I have both consoles, neither have gone wrong yet, and I use them equally. I think the PS3 has more potential due to the CELL processor, but otherwise it's very much personal opinion.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I do find it quite amusing that something as simple as counting to 4 caused so much hassle :dunce:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
slightly off topic but there talk again of changing UK time to match Europe. winter would be GMT +1, BST would be GMT +2. the proponents believe this is a trivial and zero cost change. they obviously havnt accounted for the reprogramming of every single electronic device that expects to be running GMT/BST pattern, and as we can see from this episode, such changes can have very wide effects if they go wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here