Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MAJOR Playstation 3 Error

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
As if I don't already.

However it would be quite some feat to spend as much time choking the chicken as I do pummelling my PS3 controller each night

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I heard about this on the radio this afternoon. Now I dont mind playing the odd computer game but listening to some of these people banging on about it like it was the end of the world was unbelievable. Can anyone seriously be so upset they cant play a computer game for a few hours they feel compelled to ring up Radio 1 to tell them all about it?

I think it just followed the story about the death toll in Chile rising to over 700.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
^^ no, but at least you can still play offline games, like I am with Fallout 3

For all the 360 binfest starters, I chose the PS3 because I prefer it, 360 has slightly better online, but at most they are on a par.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just went on to play FIFA10 and got the error message, spent ten minutes shouting at my son for not turning it off properly before googling the error message!! Shouldn't have bothered, knew you'd all have the answers!!!

What a farce. Bet someone at Sony is severely embarassed.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I have both and use xbox for games, PS3 for bluray. Just hate PS3 controllers and don't mind paying for online.
I've had 2 RROD so far, 1st Game gave me a new xbox on the spot as just under year old. 2nd was over year old and MS replaced within 7 days.
As for noise, if you save the games to xbox they are a lot quieter but I inderstand the noise complaints, can sound like a helicopter's in the room :ohmy:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
PlayStation Network Service Restored

Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

We are aware that the internal clock functionality in the PS3 units other than the slim model, recognized the year 2010 as a leap year. Having the internal clock date change from February 29 to March 1 (both GMT), we have verified that the symptoms are now resolved and that users are able to use their PS3 normally.

If the time displayed on the XMB is still incorrect, users are able to adjust time settings manually or via the internet. If we have new information, we will update you through the PlayStation.Blog or PlayStation.com.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

So it was leap year related.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Problem fixed itself at midnight. Sony will release a firmware update to stop it happening again. All sorted in 24 hours.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
The Xbox has a BAD record for failure. But I have heard MANY stories (quite a few on here actually) of PS3's going wrong, and also their customer service/company policy in dealing with said problems is far worse.

My point is most act as if problems are 100% Xbox 0% PS3, when it truth is roughly 65% Xbox to 35% PS3. Definitely worth the higher failure rate, when the PS3 is an utter failure at being a console.

*RUNS OUT OF THREAD IMMEDIATELY*

i got my ps3 replaced for free cos i thought it was getting too loud (i told the guy on the phone it was beginning to sound like. a 360, oh how we laughed) turns out my old 1 had collected a bit of dust cos of my old house being a dust bucket, not that it mattered, as they sent a courier with a new ps3 2 days after my phonecall, who took my old ps3, and i was back to gaming asap, to say their customer service is bad is just ignorant.

(ps im not starting an argument, my housemate at uni has a 360 that got the rrod and got his replaced fine, cant remember how long it took but he was happy enough, altho i remember it was slightly more fiddly to sort out the courier service.)

this bug, however, makes me want to replace my fat with the slim even more.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
i got my ps3 replaced for free cos i thought it was getting too loud (i told the guy on the phone it was beginning to sound like. a 360, oh how we laughed) turns out my old 1 had collected a bit of dust cos of my old house being a dust bucket, not that it mattered, as they sent a courier with a new ps3 2 days after my phonecall, who took my old ps3, and i was back to gaming asap, to say their customer service is bad is just ignorant.

(ps im not starting an argument, my housemate at uni has a 360 that got the rrod and got his replaced fine, cant remember how long it took but he was happy enough, altho i remember it was slightly more fiddly to sort out the courier service.)

this bug, however, makes me want to replace my fat with the slim even more.

Slims are ugly as hell. They look so cheap in comparison to the 'fat' models.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Well, I don't see what all the fuss was about. It's all fixed now and extremely unlikely to happen again. Saying that I did have to postpone a big away game at Chelsea for the Albion on PES 2010. :annoyed:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
perhaps their beloved machine won't remain the laughing stock it always has been.

Erk...that would be the "laughing stock" that has continually RAPED the PS3 in software and hardware sales across the board?

Oops. No need to be bitter just because Sony lost this round. I had a PS1 and PS2, I couldn't stand the original Xbox. Maybe the PS4 will be better, if it is I'll probably get it.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have both and use xbox for games, PS3 for bluray. Just hate PS3 controllers and don't mind paying for online.
I've had 2 RROD so far, 1st Game gave me a new xbox on the spot as just under year old. 2nd was over year old and MS replaced within 7 days.

This. Xbox customer service is EXCELLENT. Heard plenty of stories of people's PS3s going wrong and being told they need to spend £80 to get it fixed. Xbox360 repair/replace turnaround is always mega quick and they usually throw in some free Xbox LIVE as an apology.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Erk...that would be the "laughing stock" that has continually RAPED the PS3 in software and hardware sales across the board?

Oops. No need to be bitter just because Sony lost this round.

Don't you go on like this about Apple products too?

Is your ridiculously defensive approach because you personally designed and manufactured these devices? No? Ah, you're just a fanboi of the worst kind. Understood.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't you go on like this about Apple products too?

Is your ridiculously defensive approach because you personally designed and manufactured these devices? No? Ah, you're just a fanboi of the worst kind. Understood.

I would argue that the "worst type of fanboi" is those above who need to insult the other console to feel better about their purchase, rather than just defend one from being slated. Surely 'tis more noble, I'm not laying into the PS3 like some are laying into the Xbox360?

Someone called it a laughing stock, I'm just explaining why it isn't. Also read my previous post where I mentioned if people had the money, they would get all 3 consoles.

Also I don't currently own an iPhone or an Apple laptop, so clearly I'm perfectly happy to use non-Apple products. Again, I think Apple gets a bad name and just try to stick up for it...

Still, carry on....:facepalm:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well, I don't know what all the fuss was about - turned my PS3 on yesterday evening to watch a couple of programmes on iPlayer - and absolutely nothing untoward happened, no dodgy messages at all.

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
Well, I don't know what all the fuss was about - turned my PS3 on yesterday evening to watch a couple of programmes on iPlayer - and absolutely nothing untoward happened, no dodgy messages at all.

^This^

CODMW2 was fine for me last night... and i have the old skool PS3 as well!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

Oops. No need to be bitter just because Sony lost this round. I had a PS1 and PS2, I couldn't stand the original Xbox. Maybe the PS4 will be better, if it is I'll probably get it.

I think you're getting a little over defensive there.

Nobody is doubting that the cheaper 360 console that has been around longer and has a larger software catalogue has sold more than the PS3.

But wouldn't you know it Vauxhall have sold more cars than Ferrari however I know which marque I'd rather have in my garage.

As explained the PS3 had a problem, its FIRST to affect lots of owners, and Sony worked tirelessly to keep people informed and updated before rectifying the problem within 24 hours. All in all NO HARM DONE.

This is worlds away from the times I had an Xbox 360 that just gave up working and I was forced to go over a week without it whilst Microsoft repaired it.

The reason I claimed the 360 was a lauging stock is that they were sold with a serious hardware error that caused great numbers of the machines to fail completely and instead of Microsoft recalling the product they've simply operated an ad hoc repair or replace service as and when each of them goes wrong.

When I buy an expensive piece of hardware I do NOT expect to be using it only until the day comes (and it will come) that it fails and I need to request a repair. And for this reason the 360 deserves its reputation as a bit of an embarrassment for MS.

The fact is the PS3 had a software fault that has upset some people, the problem was resolved quickly and easily with no loss of data and the most people have had to go without their consoles is 24 hours. You cannot compare this with the weeks you can be without a 360 once it inevitably fails.

As I mentioned earlier I have owned 360's and I now own a PS3 and a Wii so it's not a case of jealousy of the other machine, I'm simply stating the facts. One only has to look at the original PS3 to see that it is a vastly superior piece of kit to the plastic white noisy Microsoft box

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here