Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just spoken to the head teacher at my kids school with social.distancing they are at their capacity of around the 20 kids mark. She is at a loss as to how it would be possible to take reception and year one in and if she did she wouldn't be able to continue the provision for keyworkers or vulnerable kids
I hope they do a U-turn on opening schools for the youngest age groups who simply will not be able to concentrate on socially distancing all day.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
So, a day later, listening to the radio and reading stuff, the bottom line as far as change is concerned is "Stay at home as far as possible"

If you can't, or decided to go out a lot (why not?) then how do you stay safe? Easy. Be alert.

It couldn't be any simpler, or more permissibe. You can do what you want as long as you stay alert.

Raab apparently gave two interviews this morning on the beeb, contradicting in the second what he said in the first.

I think they are beginning to cock this up quite badly now.

It's easy. All you need to is Stay Alert and use common sense. It couldn't be any more dangerous.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So, a day later, listening to the radio and reading stuff, the bottom line as far as change is concerned is "Stay at home as far as possible"

If you can't, or decided to go out a lot (why not?) then how do you stay safe? Easy. Be alert.

It couldn't be any simpler, or more permissibe. You can do what you want as long as you stay alert.

Raab apparently gave two interviews this morning on the beeb, contradicting in the second what he said in the first.

I think they are beginning to cock this up quite badly now.
Stay Alert would be a great message if those people infected were easy to spot coughing and spluttering and shuffling like zombies.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9343150 said:
I have a question, and apologies if it has been covered previously.

How come the daily infection rates shown on the WHO website and the UK Gov website are so massively different? It seems on the UK Gov website the results are only shown for England as opposed to the whole UK (not sure why). But that doesn't explain the huge difference, deaths are more closely matched and data for this DOES include the whole of the UK. Not sure why they don't match up.

WHO Data: https://covid19.who.int/region/euro/country/gb
UK Gov Data: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk

So just as an example, if we take Thursday 7th May:

WHO says: 6,211 new cases | 649 deaths
UK Gov says: 527 new cases | 539 deaths

or the day before, Wednesday 6th May:

WHO says: 4,406 new cases | 693 deaths
UK Gov says: 1,137 new cases | 649 deaths

The answer is that different data collecting bodies use different rubrics and data sources. They also update at different times. A high count would probably include data on care home cases, for example, or restrict cases to confirmed (lab test) or just clinical diagnosis (which has been done on my s treet down the phone with a nurse practitioner). Rather than confuse myself I am sticking with the Johns Hopkins data which is a bit behind the stuff on other websites, but gives global data allowing me to get a better sense of what's going on over time. I wouldn't recommend pondering individual differences because unless you can mine the declarations to find out where the numbers come from and when they were collected you are none the wiser, and even if you can identify why the numbers are different it won't really help.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I hope they do a U-turn on opening schools for the youngest age groups who simply will not be able to concentrate on socially distancing all day.

It's the worst years they could have picked the head in question said she would have to split the 2 year groups with 26 to 30 in each across 3 classrooms per year group to even attempt social distancing

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stay Alert would be a great message if those people infected were easy to spot coughing and spluttering and shuffling like zombies.

Yep. Or if we had ninja powers to detect the non-zombies, and possibly a Virus Gun, like the one they used in Ghostbusters.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Bill Gates is pulling the strings at the WHO and has unhealthy influence over the organisation.

https://youtu.be/XVzAJC-axSo

he's not the saviour of the human race ......he is basically buying access via grants to governments to test vaccines on the masses ....he's been at it for years .....he is apparently the subject of litigation in India where people have been damaged by his products.

still a matter of fierce debate wether he does actually allow his offspring to be vaccinated......many are maintaining he doesn't although it has been debunked in the media..... politicians and millionaires are still flying around in their private jets here.....it's one rule for them and another rule for the plebs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just spoken to the head teacher at my kids school with social.distancing they are at their capacity of around the 20 kids mark. She is at a loss as to how it would be possible to take reception and year one in and if she did she wouldn't be able to continue the provision for keyworkers or vulnerable kids

i wonder if the head has considered kids spread across multiple classrooms?

though the 2m rule needs to be reviewed, 1.5m or 1m is common across europe so we can relax that alot of things become easier to manage.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

though the 2m rule needs to be reviewed, 1.5m or 1m is common across europe so we can relax that alot of things become easier to manage.

As stated in my follow up response she has indeed and it would take all 6 of the classrooms within the school to provide basic social distancing
It is a school that in its building provides education for nursery to year 4. Years 5 and 6 are accommodated in a nearby secondary schools buildings

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
As stated in my follow up response she has indeed and it would take all 6 of the classrooms within the school to provide basic social distancing
It is a school that in its building provides education for nursery to year 4. Years 5 and 6 are accommodated in a nearby secondary schools buildings

It's the playground that's the problem. I've got a 5 year old, and there's no way he remember not to indulge in a game of "bundles", "tag" or "piggy backs" with his mates for an entire break.

But I do remember reading an article that there is some evidence that youngsters this age may not be able to pass the virus on. Looks like we may be testing the theory.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

i see, so a small primary with unusual setup. hopefully the head will be discussing with the department of education and local authority to address the problems.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Well I don't as I think the damage this is doing to kids is worse. It's destroying my daughter having no-one to play with, she's looking so miserable and bored out of her mind. These are very important years for social skills and personality development. Having said that she's not at school yet (quite) due to being a September child - but the same applies to nursery.

There is still little evidence that kids being in schools affects the transmission rate greatly.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well I don't as I think the damage this is doing to kids is worse. It's destroying my daughter having no-one to play with, she's looking so miserable and board out of her mind. These are very important years for social skills and personality development. Having said that she's not at school yet (quite) due to being a September child - but the same applies to nursery.

There is still little evidence that kids being in schools affects the transmission rate greatly.
I hope they do a u-turn because there is no way my daughter is going back to school before September at the very earliest.

I am trying to avoid any stressful battle with the school over it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I hope they do a u-turn because there is no way my daughter is going back to school before September at the very earliest.

I am trying to avoid any stressful battle with the school over it.

Can we come to a compromise and say that you don't have to send your kids back until September if that's your preferred view?:thumbsup:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

So change the rules to fit the agenda...

You can't change the rules as you see fit... If it's 2 metres for adults it's 2 metres for kids...

Mind you, I don't know how you are going to get kids to socially distance, full stop!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's the worst years they could have picked the head in question said she would have to split the 2 year groups with 26 to 30 in each across 3 classrooms per year group to even attempt social distancing

As someone who teaches in a Primary school, I wholeheartedly agree. I just cannot fathom the reason for Rec and Y1 to be the first back. Incidentally, quite a few mentions of studies that show low rates of transmission amongst and through younger children. All well and good and potentially encouraging were it not for the fact that there are also studies which appear to show the opposite.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
he's not the saviour of the human race ......he is basically buying access via grants to governments to test vaccines on the masses ....he's been at it for years .....he is apparently the subject of litigation in India where people have been damaged by his products.

still a matter of fierce debate wether he does actually allow his offspring to be vaccinated......many are maintaining he doesn't although it has been debunked in the media..... politicians and millionaires are still flying around in their private jets here.....it's one rule for them and another rule for the plebs.

Fake news but it fits your agenda: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bill-gates-india-sued/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bill-gates-india-sued/

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
So change the rules to fit the agenda...

You can't change the rules as you see fit... If it's 2 metres for adults it's 2 metres for kids...

absolutly. why wouldnt you? the agenda has been to prevent or reduce infection. if the safe distance of this is 1.5m or 1m can be considered say 90% as effective, why not change it to suit the new agenda of being able to return to work? we have tied a hand behind our backs with 2m restriction, when lower is considered ok elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here