Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Passport office staff are being re-deployed to assist with the large number of Universal Credit Claims, according to a webinar I watched yesterday about Universal Credit.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Pretty sure 1,000 deaths in a single day is more newsworthy than 'Boris is sitting up in his bed'.

I obviously don't wish him any harm, but the sycophancy from the BBC was out of all proportion on a day when a record number of deaths were recorded.

very much this but they have an agenda to keep to

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Pretty sure 1,000 deaths in a single day is more newsworthy than 'Boris is sitting up in his bed'.

I obviously don't wish him any harm, but the sycophancy from the BBC was out of all proportion on a day when a record number of deaths were recorded.

So a quick count of the main stories and feeds on the BBC News front page. There are 13 stories and 11 of them about Coronavirus in some way - none about Boris. Me thinks you might be letting your political tinted specs guide your judgement on the BBC.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not sure.

It may also be that they won't actually use passports as such, but will use the passport office to issue any certification.

During the Gulf War in 1991, the possible need for conscription was being discussed in parliament and in the wider country. It's on Hansard below and Michael Howard as Employment Secretary stated that conscription was not being considered by HM Government, but all sorts of rumours were circulating and 'my mate works at a printing company and they've got an order in for conscription forms!' type stories were doing the rounds. I was not quite 13 at the time and I thought they were being prepared, as did my Mum and Dad, for what it's worth. There could be a myriad of reasons or none as to why the passport office are carrying on now. The French and their permit forms to go outside would be a possible reason off the top of my head. Time will tell.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1991/jan/29/gulf-war

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

In all respect both to you and those that lost their lives and the families, I do not agree. There has been plenty of news involving the mounting death toll, there is only so much they can say about that short of individual pieces on those people which is more suitable to a dedicated programme and not the news, whereas imo the PM (whoever he may be) is a figurehead and worthy of more attention than the average person. The people who die are not merely numbers but they are individual tragedies, a PM in intensive care whilst still in office has never happened before to my knowledge, and especially now will attract more attention as he is the driving force of the governments approach to this crisis.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Passport office staff are being re-deployed to assist with the large number of Universal Credit Claims, according to a webinar I watched yesterday about Universal Credit.

That makes sense. The DWP will not be able to cope with the claims coming in at present.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
During the Gulf War in 1991, the possible need for conscription was being discussed in parliament and in the wider country. It's on Hansard below and Michael Howard as Employment Secretary stated that conscription was not being considered by HM Government, but all sorts of rumours were circulating and 'my mate works at a printing company and they've got an order in for conscription forms!' type stories were doing the rounds. I was not quite 13 at the time and I thought they were being prepared, as did my Mum and Dad, for what it's worth. There could be a myriad of reasons or none as to why the passport office are carrying on now. The French and their permit forms to go outside would be a possible reason off the top of my head. Time will tell.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1991/jan/29/gulf-war

Some valid points as to why the passport workers may be asked to return to work, but I am not sure the scientific advisor that attended the meeting to discuss their return was being very helpful with his "80% of you will get it anyway" stance. Certainly lacked any empathy at this very worrying time!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
In all respect both to you and those that lost their lives and the families, I do not agree. There has been plenty of news involving the mounting death toll, there is only so much they can say about that short of individual pieces on those people which is more suitable to a dedicated programme and not the news, whereas imo the PM (whoever he may be) is a figurehead and worthy of more attention than the average person. The people who die are not merely numbers but they are individual tragedies, a PM in intensive care whilst still in office has never happened before to my knowledge, and especially now will attract more attention as he is the driving force of the governments approach to this crisis.

Well argued and I'm not saying it's not important, I just thought the coverage was over the top on a day when the figures were horrific.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well argued and I'm not saying it's not important, I just thought the coverage was over the top on a day when the figures were horrific.

It has always been a political trick to hide a bad news story beneath a good news one - however, clearly many don't see Mr Johnson sitting up in bed as big enough "good news" story to cover the latest death toll...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So a quick count of the main stories and feeds on the BBC News front page. There are 13 stories and 11 of them about Coronavirus in some way - none about Boris. Me thinks you might be letting your political tinted specs guide your judgement on the BBC.

I think he was referring to the news bulletins rather than what is online.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Buy mine. It's crap!

We've got the i20, which is very reliable. It was still in warranty for a further two years, when we bought it five years ago, at three years old.
We've just had the clutch replaced and a spring on the steering wheel which governed the remote radio and telephone buttons. The only other expenditure is the normal replacement tyres.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Buy mine. It's crap!

You've got one of these, haven't you? ???

The-beginning-of-the-Hyundai-history-timeline.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As you will know, being an Island nation offers huge advantages

It's not rocket science is it? Yet there are still scores of flights arriving with people that are simply walking out of the airport and into society. We should have been putting them into quarantine in the airport hotels weeks ago (Oz and NZ amongst others are doing that). Until and unless we cut off the external supply entirely we will never get out of this imo

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Seems in Sweden, we will start testing for antibodies next week (healthcare personel prioritized obviously). With 7000 tests a week I expect to be tested some time in 2028.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here