Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Still only 33 cases in Brighton and hove, 33 cases in 280000 odd people.
Is that from a source which shows the cases across the country, which add up to the current total, or is it just an out of date figure?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still only 33 cases in Brighton and hove, 33 cases in 280000 odd people.

33 severe cases. Of course, the actual number is far, far higher than that.

Prof Ferguson reckons possibly as many as 2-3% of population are/have been infected - ie millions.

Brighton was one of the first places COVID-19 landed.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Italy down to 4000+ infections for the second day in a row now. Last week it was running at about 8,000+ a day.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Case reporting is bizarre to me. A friend of mine in Bobcaygeon (Ontario, Canada) is a doctor there. 7 days ago she sent me a message saying 2 people in a seniors home had it and that it would be reported as 2 for now.

She went on to say that in reality 20 other residents and 8 staff have the symptoms but they can't test everyone. Fast forward 7 days, 9 have died and others will die today and tomorrow. Clearly the numbers on this won't be accurate until after the fact.

It's too bad there wasn't an 'assumed cases' total being reported with this virus.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
From BBC website
Posted at 16:44
UK coronavirus death figures released by PHE
Here is an update to the latest figures for people who have died with coronavirus in the UK, according to official figures released by Public Health England.

Some 1,789 patients have died in UK hospitals after testing positive for coronavirus as of 17:00 BST on Monday, according to the Department of Health.

According to PHE's figures, that is up by 381 from the day before - the biggest day-on-day rise by some way. But this may not include any deaths that have happened after 17:00 on 30 March.

That day-on-day death figure was 27% higher than the previous day.

No mention of if this is hospital deaths only or if this includes homes deaths...

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Brilliant news. I am getting my figures from here.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I wonder why it’s different. This is BBC report:

b7512e87e2b45a9344b539905866247c.jpg

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I thought this was interesting and potentially quite promising:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52095331

I recall they used similar technology, albeit in a predictably more draconian way, in Wuhan to great success. Something like this could well be a big part of the answer to the question “how do we get out of lockdown?”. I imagine we’re still a minimum 6 weeks away from being able to deploy it though; we need to get the case numbers down and testing capability up first.

Still, on the latter, I’m sure the boffins could come up with a reasonably accurate probability test, based on the number of carriers you’ve recently been exposed to, in what proximity and for how long.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Prof Ferguson reckons possibly as many as 2-3% of population are/have been infected - ie millions.
Another professor said it was 50% a week ago.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No they didn’t. They said up to as many as 50% - ie a very wide range of infection level.
It's still vastly different to "Prof Ferguson reckons possibly as many as 2-3% of population are/have been infected"

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Wouldn't be in this mess if we'd acted in Jan or early Feb. Entire world was in denial all along and didnt want to disrupt the economy.
Look how well that's turned out, could of saved hundreds of billions and thousands of lives.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
It's still vastly different to "Prof Ferguson reckons possibly as many as 2-3% of population are/have been infected"

And both are estimates - educated guesses, to some extent - which have been fed into hugely complicated models filled with no end of other variables.

It could also be argued that both have, for different reasons, been leapt upon and taken as something much closer to fact when they are nothing of the kind.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...make-a-good-covid-19-model/?ex_cid=538twitter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here