Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Has anyone seen any further encouraging studies/reports that the pandemic is more advanced than it may otherwise appear and we are therefore nearer to the end of it?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Nor China myself, I believe there is a serious cover up going on over there particularly in Wuhan where residents have claimed at least 10 times the ‘official’ number of people have died. Very difficult to trust countries who are rotten. Similar to Iran’s numbers, they have 3000+ cases per day yet the death toll everyday stays between 100-150, total and utter rubbish.

As seen in the spectator article, if you count patients who have died ‘from Covid-19’ as separate from those who die ‘with Covid-19’ such as those with underlying health conditions, then I think it’s possible to get very low death rates legitimately.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't realise the WHO wouldn't recognize Taiwan as it isn't allowed into the United Nations. Pretty stupid to ignore Taiwan as they have controlled the virus outbreak very well.
It's not that they wouldn't recognise them, it's that they completely pretended to not hear the question and then hung-up. Seriously, WTF? I get the feeling they've taken a massive bung from China, with strings attached.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
France’s daily death toll abruptly increases to 418. Alarming, as we seem to follow a similar pattern of numbers, although we’ve experienced relatively lower fatalities over the last two days.
Looking at the graphs the government put on the news at 5 today (since 50th death I think) we were on a similar path to France, a bit below Italy's path, but then France jumped up towards Italy's line (before today's numbers). It may show a change in trajectory for them, rather than where we're headed.

That may just be wishful thinking.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Expecting the worst tomorrow then, from the mail but mentioned in tonight’s press conference apparently

04E98E14-CDE3-4F97-ABC0-D04AC4ECBD5D.jpeg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Expecting the worst tomorrow then, from the mail but mentioned in tonight’s press conference apparently
But in the conference, they said that the numbers outside of hospital were low.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
But in the conference, they said that the numbers outside of hospital were low.

Ah that’s good then, I missed it this evening! I’d imagine the numbers will almost certainly go up though,’seems unrealistic for them to keep decreasing with admittance levels up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looking at the graphs the government put on the news at 5 today (since 50th death I think) we were on a similar path to France, a bit below Italy's path, but then France jumped up towards Italy's line (before today's numbers). It may show a change in trajectory for them, rather than where we're headed.

If we have a few days now of daily mortality totals rarely tipping 300, that would be very promising, because by the time Italy and Spain got to around the 180 / 220 mark themselves, the numbers carried on escalating upwards.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Has anyone seen any further encouraging studies/reports that the pandemic is more advanced than it may otherwise appear and we are therefore nearer to the end of it?

You may enjoy the Coronavirus Good News Thread on the big board? Full of encouraging reports etc.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

If we have a few days now of daily mortality totals rarely tipping 300, that would be very promising, because by the time Italy and Spain got to around the 180 / 220 mark themselves, the numbers carried on escalating upwards.

Good place to create whatever combination of countries / days you want https://flattenthecurve.co.nz/. On days since 50th death, we're on a similar curve to Spain / Italy / France, but with quite a lot lower numbers. Note that this website is usually a day behind.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good place to create whatever combination of countries / days you want https://flattenthecurve.co.nz/. On days since 50th death, we're on a similar curve to Spain / Italy / France, but with quite a lot lower numbers. Note that this website is usually a day behind.

Thank you.

0A794AF5-1105-4864-91C1-D621F8C8EB3E.png

Trump’s laissez faire non-strategy is looking ill judged. Apparently the cent finally dropped with him today.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ah that’s good then, I missed it this evening! I’d imagine the numbers will almost certainly go up though,’seems unrealistic for them to keep decreasing with admittance levels up.
Yep

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
My state's Governor has finally decided to issue a stay-at-home order, effective from 5pm tomorrow (Tuesday) - Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey issues statewide stay-at-home order

It won't actually change a whole lot, I don't think - bars and restaurants haven't been open for dine-in service for a while and many companies have been enacting WFH policies (my car commute into work over the last couple of weeks has been very quiet, and many of the offices in the complex where I work are deserted). The essential services list, however, includes golf courses and beauty salons. :facepalm:

My company has been classified as essential, so I will continue to come into the office.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This is the problem. We've been seeing death tolls as the more reliable statistic, but even that is a bit all over the place. Professor Ferguson re-iterating on BBC Radio this morning/last night (unsure which) that a large percentage of cases may well have died anyway.

So hard to say whether COVID is the cause of death, an attributing factor, or coincidental - that final suggestion may sound flippant, but realistically someone very ill in a hospital with large instances of COVID is going to contract it VERY easily at the moment, surely?
Was talking to my neighbours who are both nurses on the neurological ward earlier about the stats.

I love a stat but they confirmed what I was thinking. We actually have no stats for how many people have been killed by the virus.

We have the number of people who have died and tested positive. Which doesn't necessarily mean that it was the virus that killed them.

I also hate it when things are unquantifiable. Unfortunately this whole thing is at the moment.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The essential services list, however, includes golf courses and beauty salons. :facepalm:.

I've heard the US has also classed gun shops as essential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here