Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The only way the country will get back to some sort of normality is if every single person gets tested to prove they've had it or currently have it. That will take months.
No, that's not the only way. They can do proper sampling to work out how many of us have had it. They can then reduce some restrictions temporarily, and re-introduce them for a few weeks again if necessary.

It just depends how many of us have had it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Another point worth considering is that death rates are for people hospitalised only. As the weeks go by, many people will die outside of hospital. These will not be recorded as C-19 related deaths. Nice way for the government to keep the numbers low, especially as the media will just say '1,000 people have died' rather than 'Of those hospitalised, 1,000 people have died'.

20200328_173810.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
“It is said that 1 in 3 will be hospitalised” who says that? Most reports coming from Italy/China are that the majority are asymptomatic - ie 50-75%, so 1 in 3 is miles off.

I’d be shocked if it was any worse than 1/75-100 at most.

There was a report yesterday saying 1% of the population will become seriously ill. Certainly not 1 in 3. Those in hospital now it is 1 in 20 currently expected but atm 1 in 70 cases seriously ill

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Another point worth considering is that death rates are for people hospitalised only. As the weeks go by, many people will die outside of hospital. These will not be recorded as C-19 related deaths. Nice way for the government to keep the numbers low, especially as the media will just say '1,000 people have died' rather than 'Of those hospitalised, 1,000 people have died'.

View attachment 121554

Having stated the ‘do nothing’ figure as 100,000 dead, the government then set a ‘below 20,000 dead’ figure as a political target. This would have allowed them to roll out the ‘saved 80,000 lives’ line in the next election.

They’ve now realised over the last couple of days that they’re going to struggle to meet that. Therefore, there needs to be some changes in how the deaths are counted.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

View attachment 121554

Out of interest, why do you assume there will be large numbers dying at home? Also, why do you assume they won't be recorded as C-19 related deaths? A death needs to be certified and it is unlikely that people die without their symptoms having been recorded. Also, as they deteriorate, they will get admitted to hospital.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Having stated the ‘do nothing’ figure as 100,000 dead, the government then set a ‘below 20,000 dead’ figure as a political target. This would have allowed them to roll out the ‘saved 80,000 lives’ line in the next election.

They’ve now realised over the last couple of days that they’re going to struggle to meet that. Therefore, there needs to be some changes in how the deaths are counted.

Who says 20,000 is a political target?

Just you I suspect, on your COVID-19 petty political campaign.

Even John McDonnell and the SNP have (in the main) been great in their unity with all other parties during this crisis.

You’re out on your own. Not the time to be a bitter class warrior.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We could really do with some good news coming out of Italy in the next few days.

Their infection rate has fallen day on day for 4 days now, so that should start showing in the death toll, you’d hope...

It takes about two weeks from infection for it to lead to death so, unfortunately, it might be at such a high level for a while now :nono:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Even John McDonnell and the SNP have (in the main) been great in their unity with all other parties during this crisis.

Couldn’t have said it better myself, some people are absolutely obsessed by politics, even now.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Out of interest, why do you assume there will be large numbers dying at home? Also, why do you assume they won't be recorded as C-19 related deaths? A death needs to be certified and it is unlikely that people die without their symptoms having been recorded. Also, as they deteriorate, they will get admitted to hospital.

There has already been a lot of talk about over-65s just being offered palliative care at home when hospitals run out of beds. Also, only those with the most severe symptoms (extreme difficulty breathing) end up in hospital. As this escalates, it's very likely a lot of people will die before reaching hospital or will be discouraged from ringing 999 because of the demands on the service. These deaths will not recorded as C-19 because they won't have been tested. So it will be recorded as pneumonia or some other related condition. Without a test, there is no evidence it's C-19.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

View attachment 121554

I don’t think your point is worth considering in the slightest. Why would they not record a ‘cause of death’ if someone dies at home? They’re not just going to stick the body out with bins and forget about it are they?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Couldn’t have said it better myself, some people are absolutely obsessed by politics, even now.

Donald Trump for one ! he's considering putting troops on the border with Canada and quarantining New York !

1. The US has about 20 X the cases that Canada has, 2,he has forgotten to talk to the Governor of New York about this of course !

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Exactly.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I don’t think your point is worth considering in the slightest. Why would they not record a ‘cause of death’ if someone dies at home? They’re not just going to stick the body out with bins and forget about it are they?

What a bizarre post! Where did I say they won't record a cause of death? I'm saying they won't be recorded as caused by the virus because they won't have been tested. So the deaths will most likely be recorded as pneumonia, as there will no evidence they were infected with the virus. Probably why they are reluctant to roll-out testing.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
What a bizarre post! Where did I say they won't record a cause of death? I'm saying they won't be recorded as caused by the virus because they won't have been tested. So the deaths will most likely be recorded as pneumonia, as there will no evidence they were infected with the virus. Probably why they are reluctant to roll-out testing.

How do you know they won’t be tested?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Get off your high horse.

All I am hearing from NHS workers is criticism about our preparation for this. Having seen China, then Italy and Spain, our government have been sitting on their hands for weeks. It’s not good enough.

And WTF are you banging on about a class war for?

Time for you to take break.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

it's my failing i know, but that's still making me laugh, ta

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
There was a report yesterday saying 1% of the population will become seriously ill. Certainly not 1 in 3. Those in hospital now it is 1 in 20 currently expected but atm 1 in 70 cases seriously ill

At the start of this they were saying 4/5 with a mild condition. 1/5 a more serious condition, and of those some become critical. I'm not sure if it's still the case now, but at that point we were hospitalizing those serious cases. If that is the current policy then 1/5 (20%) of cases will be hospitalized.

So it was said to be about 20% serious, but then that it depends how many cases are actually detected in the first place. In reality it's 1/5 / 20% of detectable cases, but we don't really know what proportion of all cases that represents, since some (many?) are barely detectable (mild symptoms and never tested) and a small proportion are thought to be completely undetectable (no symptoms).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Get off your high horse.

All I am hearing from NHS workers is criticism about our preparation for this. Having seen China, then Italy and Spain, our government have been sitting on their hands for weeks. It’s not good enough.

And WTF are you banging on about a class war for?

Time for you to take break.

Your sole NSC raison d’etre appears to be posting 1000’s of anti-Tory posts, year after year, as if you’re internet Influencer.

So one-eyed, it becomes a parody of itself.

Shirley there’s something you’re happy about from living in the UK?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here