Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Slightly down on yesterday’s new cases, but yes not good numbers. :(

I really don’t know how we can take much from this figure. Who knows how many people really have it; this doesn’t really give anything like a full picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Yep, interesting article. The intention to look at deaths as a whole is difficult, because the lockdowns around the world will have reduced road traffic deaths while also increasing deaths from patients being kicked out of hospital early. Hopefully they'll do some general sampling with the new 'have you had it' tests to help us get a picture of how many people around the country have had it already. Maybe we'll all be able to carry on with life soon.
Unless the figures from Covid-19 are massively different to normal, we may not be aware of the extra deaths it causes when other changed behaviours are taken into account until much later in the year. That's why it makes sense to take precautions now.

If this carries on for another year then we will know a lot more. Personally, however, I will be taking action to avoid getting it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know it is a morbid thought, but what was the population of the world when Spanish flu ravaged the planet, 18 million died.

It would be interesting to find out how the current level compares proportionally per head of population.

It seems to absolutely rife in the US...but not much reported from Russia and their former states. And of course North Korea hasn’t had a single case (ffs)

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
How is Germanys death rate so low? I know their health system is very good, but still, the general health and demographics of the population is similar to us (obesity and smoking rates/%of elderly folk, etc)

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
How is Germanys death rate so low? I know their health system is very good, but still, the general health and demographics of the population is similar to us (obesity and smoking rates/%of elderly folk, etc)

No idea if this is true, but some doctors on Twitter think that it could be because if a victim has Covid and dies of pneumonia, they're putting death down as pneumonia so it doesn't count to the figures. Not sure if they're trying to fiddle the figures - what would it achieve if it did? - or just doctors being sticklers.

Apparently cause of death is an exact science at the best of times.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I know it is a morbid thought, but what was the population of the world when Spanish flu ravaged the planet, 18 million died.

It would be interesting to find out how the current level compares proportionally per head of population.

It seems to absolutely rife in the US...but not much reported from Russia and their former states. And of course North Korea hasn’t had a single case (ffs)

plus there was WW1 going on too

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Their trajectory is pretty much the same as UK / Spain / Italy. But it may flatten at a lower peak, as the figures are lower overall - depends on how effective and soon all the lockdowns are.

Capture.JPG

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
UK official figures 17,000 with the virus 1,019 dead that's a 6% death rate

It is said that 1in 3 of those with Coronavirus will be hospitalised so with 17,000 known infectedthat's 5,666 6% of those will die that is 340

The actual figure for those in hospital with Coronavirus is around 8,000 if 6% of those die that is 480

Neither 340 or 480 are anyway close to the current figure of 1.019

So what are the figures for infected individuals in the UK and what is the true percentage of deaths

Unless we test we will never know all those suspected of having the virus and test everyone suspected of having had the virus, it will be guesswork cleaver guesswork granted

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

That is strange, one of the "rumours " China told them

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No idea if this is true, but some doctors on Twitter think that it could be because if a victim has Covid and dies of pneumonia, they're putting death down as pneumonia so it doesn't count to the figures. Not sure if they're trying to fiddle the figures - what would it achieve if it did? - or just doctors being sticklers.
If that was the case, how would they have 499 cases of death? It could be that they're simply testing a lot more people than us, so it looks like they have had more cases, but they've actually had fewer. Or perhaps it is to do with how deaths are recorded, but not as simple as recording deaths as pneumonia - as per an earlier article, we're recording deaths as caused by Covid-19 if a patient has it, regardless of whether they were already dying of something else, which is not what we'd do when someone who has the flu dies. Germany might just have a stricter criteria of what gets recorded as due to Covid-19.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is said that 1in 3 of those with Coronavirus will be hospitalised
That's a lot higher than estimates I've heard. Have you got a link?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Apparently cause of death is an exact science at the best of times.

cause of death is not the issue, its whether corona virus comorbidity is reported. both the underlying condition and the corona virus can and should be recorded as seperate data.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
That's a lot higher than estimates I've heard. Have you got a link?

It's not a figure that makes much sense to me whilst I'm sure it would be possible. I'm convinced I know several who have had the dreaded symptoms, admittedly they've not been tested but none of them have been hospitalised. For me the antibody test en masses cant come soon enough

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here