Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I honestly believe it could be a mixture of both, but we need to see how things progrsss over the next few days before we jump to any conclusions, I’ve just looked at most major countries in Europe and I haven’t yet found one place that halved its death number the following day, seems a real anomaly there must be something behind it.

Edit: also, no new infection numbers, very strange.

1452 https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

No, sorry I don't mean I don't believe the figure. I just feel there's something else going on here. Maybe a treatment being used here that's not being used in Spain and Italy, maybe some truth in the theory that half the country has already had it, I don't know what exactly.

Or maybe we do just have one of the best health services in the world still?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Dangerous thing to state but all looking a little overhyped in UK and US . Looks like we learnt lessons from elsewhere and maybe trump wasn't too far off with Easter prediction?

Back to work first week of may ? Football season to restart just after that (probably behind closed doors?)

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Still seems.an impressive drop this far yesterday was.the one really bad day numbers wise. Be interesting to see what comes tomorrow

Figures seems all over the shop. How many need PM's ?.

It might be best at this point to say how many are in critical care

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Figures seems all over the shop. How many need PM's ?.

It might be best at this point to say how many are in critical care
Just one day that looks slightly strange .... Maybe the drug combos do work. Markets seem pretty confident at the moment. Antibody drug test on the way..... Infection and death rate slowing in many places ....

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Dangerous thing to state but all looking a little overhyped in UK and US . Looks like we learnt lessons from elsewhere and maybe trump wasn't too far off with Easter prediction?
What? All the experts in the US are saying Trump is way out with his Easter prediction, and it's way too early for us to be celebrating like this is over.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its interesting that the lower than expected figures for the UK were put out quite late today. Maybe not in line with the 24 hour crisis news of the last few weeks?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
What? All the experts in the US are saying Trump is way out with his Easter prediction, and it's way too early for us to be celebrating like this is over.
Can only say what we are seeing. USA only around 900 odd deaths at the moment ... A country 5x larger population than ours

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Its interesting that the lower than expected figures for the UK were put out quite late today. Maybe not in line with the 24 hour crisis news of the last few weeks?
Probably couldn't believe the numbers and needed a recount. Pretty embarrassing if they got it wrong.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I did try to find it but it is interesting that, on the 19th the government annouced that the seriousness of the covid-19 virus should be downgraded,

“Status of COVID-19

As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid#status-of-covid-19

A HCID is defined as:-

acute infectious disease
-typically has a high case-fatality rate
-ability to spread in the community and within healthcare settings
-requires an enhanced individual, population and system response to ensure it is managed effectively, efficiently and safely”

The government and the media have been claiming COVID19 has all these four characteristics, using them as the reason a lockdown is needed!!!

Also interesting is that, The “seasonal” number of deaths worldwide due to “normal flu” to between 300 000 and 600 000! Some other estimates place the number of deaths due to all respiratory diseases to about 2.5 Mio/year! This is a regular death toll the world puts up with every year. This is tragic and in all cases, the people who lose their lives are elderly and/or people suffering from illnesses, i.e. who are too weak to resist.
There have also been many occasions where the seasonal death toll by flu was largely overshot: the flu epidemics of 1958 and 1968-1969 for which estimates vary between 1 and 4 million, and the infamous 1919 flu epidemic which killed a minimum estimated 25 million (more deaths than caused by WW1)!
Now let’s assume (generously) that a season lasts 6 months. We are halfway through the season and the death toll has reached about 20 000 (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/). This is tragic, but how does it compare to the much more tragic regular 300000 to 600000 deaths/season?
Flu viruses change every year and some variants can be more virulent than others. We may be facing such a case, but it’s not worse (and it is actually less dramatic) that the flu epidemics I mentioned above or even SARS in 2003.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
My concern is that after this weekend we will se a big rise in 14 days time.

I read that incubation is 5 days on average. The 14 day number I think was and early estimate.
What we're seeing now could actually be a result of people staying outside last weekend. The NHS lady said that being outside wasn't anywhere near as risky, the big problem was crowded places indoors which most people avoided.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The numbers do seem surprisingly low and no official update on the government website. Call me cynical, but I bet Dominic Cummings is doing everything in his power to fix the numbers so they don't seem too bad. Worst case scenario is we end up worse than Italy, then I think people would turn on the government for the mistakes they've made.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I read that incubation is 5 days on average. The 14 day number I think was and early estimate.
What we're seeing now could actually be a result of people staying outside last weekend. The NHS lady said that being outside wasn't anywhere near as risky, the big problem was crowded places indoors which most people avoided.

I think fatalities, when they do occur, are usually after quite a period of illness. 5 days would be the time before appearance of first symptoms.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
What was Italy’s figure today, I can’t see it anywhere? Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are people still dying of seasonal flu related illnesses?

Yes, plus from other seasonal respiratory illnesses.

UK governments release the stats, which can vary hugely between years depending on the strains of flu.

4C2531DC-22F6-49CB-9835-0BA5EC3F95B3.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can only say what we are seeing. USA only around 900 odd deaths at the moment ... A country 5x larger population than ours
That could be because it's early days in the US, and the number of cases has only just started increasing much?

Germany has only had 206 deaths, despite a lot of cases. Is it that Germany have just tested a load more than other European countries, or is the healthcare just a lot better in Germany, or is the underlying health of people in Germany better? Too many unknowns to really know where this is going.

The governments rules seem like a good plan for the few weeks and then we'll see where we're at.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here