Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Mrs B hears later today, but I'm expecting her to have to go in. She's not even a teacher, she's a science lab technician, but sounds like she will be required to supervise classes and the like. As you say, this will include Easter holidays and I'm assuming the Summer holiday too.

A lot being expected of a lot people who have been treated pretty shoddily by successive governments, isn't there.

*please note this was not a party political post*

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Allocate a whole day for over 70's , say the day after they get their state pension paid.
A day for key workers, NHS, care, police etc.
Then the rest of the week for the scavengers.

Would be most welcome. I’m a key worker and I’m on leave right now so I’ve been able to shops at quieter times but back in next week and on extended shifts so I don’t know when I’ll get to shop or what will be left. I have enough food for three weeks but after that, if this carries on, I’m screwed.

D

Deleted member 22389

Quite. Just heard from my own lad, from the school he teaches at -apparently they are still all expected in on Monday, because the list of 'key' workers is so long, that they have no idea just how many kids will turn up (nor how many teachers will be off sick).

The government guidance is an utter shambles. Like I've been repeating for a week or more - own this properly, or just drop the pretence that there is any real intention to stop the spread.

My wife says her school expects 60-100 out of 600 to attend, but it all seems a bit daft now.

I also just dropped my brother off at work so he didn't have to get on the bus, car park quite full where he works. People in B&Q, Halfords and the LIDL car park was nearly full. I don't get it, thought we where all meant to be keeping a safe distance here and stopping the potential spread. I'm taking responsibility as I guess many are on here.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
These crowds at the shops are surely going to make the situation much much worse. They looked crazy this morning. Surely something has to be done?

Perhaps have it so surnames A-D can shop on a Monday, E-H on a Tuesday and so on? Seems a shame people can't just be sensible.

In Italy you have to queue for food shops, keeping about ten feet apart - and only five people allowed inside at any one time. Also strict limits on purchases. Seems a sensible approach.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My wife says her school expects 60-100 out of 600 to attend, but it all seems a bit daft now.

I also just dropped my brother off at work so he didn't have to get on the bus, car park quite full where he works. People in B&Q, Halfords and the LIDL car park was nearly full. I don't get it, thought we where all meant to be keeping a safe distance here.

I think people are in "preparation mode" and also "panic mode".

Friend of mine has a cleaning and cat sitting business (not at the same time :lol: ) and has had almost blanket cancellations. She has used the last of the money she knows she had to get store cupboard staples and some decorating stuff so that she can do up her house while this thing passes. I doubt she's alone, I reckon everyone is prepping their house ready for more serious lockdown.

I can see both that and some form of rationing if people don't calm the **** down soon, but the most serious upward curve on the models didn't seem to be until April last time I checked. That's when we'll need real controls, properly regimented.

I hope that of the money that is being found / printed right now, a good chunk will be put aside for pay rises - good ones - for NHS staff and teachers and that the government listens to them a bit more going forwards. I know neither nurses, nor teachers, do it for the money but they seem to be getting the very worst of this right now.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Friend of mine who I’ve known for a long time works at a GP surgery and they have been warned of full mobilisation/lockdown next week, didn’t get exact details but sounds similar to how it is in France. I guess it is the expected next step, I don’t think it would be a bad thing either would stop all these idiotic people flouting the advice and stop people clearing the shops by 10am

D

Deleted member 22389

I think people are in "preparation mode" and also "panic mode".

Friend of mine has a cleaning and cat sitting business (not at the same time :lol: ) and has had almost blanket cancellations. She has used the last of the money she knows she had to get store cupboard staples and some decorating stuff so that she can do up her house while this thing passes. I doubt she's alone, I reckon everyone is prepping their house ready for more serious lockdown.

I can see both that and some form of rationing if people don't calm the **** down soon, but the most serious upward curve on the models didn't seem to be until April last time I checked. That's when we'll need real controls, properly regimented.

I hope that of the money that is being found / printed right now, a good chunk will be put aside for pay rises - good ones - for NHS staff and teachers and that the government listens to them a bit more going forwards. I know neither nurses, nor teachers, do it for the money but they seem to be getting the very worst of this right now.

Make sense.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
The lockdown in other countries still allows you to go food shopping - so it will still happen. This is a people thing, not a government thing, although they could explain that even in Italy you can go to the shop for food, so there is absolutely no need to panic buy.

Other countries have done things to try and tackle this issue though, only 1 person per square metre allowed in the store (e.g. 100m2 shop can allow 10 people in) and the queue outside must remain 2 metres apart. This is being enforced by police patrols and pretty rigorously imposed here in Greece.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Been around several builders merchants today, just as busy if not busier than normal, still plenty of oaps about

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Anyone else noticed that Matt Hancock seems to be shouldering an awful lot of the government's heavy lifting, he seems to be constantly on mainstream media dealing with other issues along with Health. He was getting grilled on government payments to people told not to work or to self isolate and now has been seen telling people not to panic buy, poor bugger has three jobs while Johnson does his Young Mr Grace impersonation ( Carry on everybody, you're all doing very well ) for half an hour daily.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Been around several builders merchants today, just as busy if not busier than normal, still plenty of oaps about

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Loads of OAP’s about. If they aren’t willing to play the game then we are pretty much stuffed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Anyone else noticed that Matt Hancock seems to be shouldering an awful lot of the government's heavy lifting, he seems to be constantly on mainstream media dealing with other issues along with Health. He was getting grilled on government payments to people told not to work or to self isolate and now has been seen telling people not to panic buy, poor bugger has three jobs while Johnson does his Young Mr Grace impersonation ( Carry on everybody, you're all doing very well ) for half an hour daily.

Come on Vegster, put aside any dislike of Boris Johnson and be sensible. Do you really think that or are you joking?
Regardless of ones politics, it must be a hell of a strain on a Prime Minister of any political persuasion at times like this.
Would you like his job? I wouldn't.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Loads of OAP’s about. If they aren’t willing to play the game then we are pretty much stuffed.

[tweet]1240806302483431430[/tweet]

:wink:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

They buy up all the food in their exclusive hours and then won't be told to isolate.

If they won't help themselves then sympathy is starting to wear a little thin.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
They buy up all the food in their exclusive hours and then won't be told to isolate.

If they won't help themselves then sympathy is starting to wear a little thin.

This is the problem huge numbers of people are businesses are ignoring the advice.

Our local shops are packed out today as I drove by and heard of some nursery’s who are letting anyone continue to send their kids there.

The social distancing message is just not landing

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

Give it a rest you effing bore. We get it. You don't like Boris Johnson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here