Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Deep in discussions with my brother in law who is really annoying me. Hes not grasping the advice and thinks he should isolate for 14 days from monday not because he has any symptoms but because someone on facebook told him thyroid problems are on the list for vulnerability.

Tried explaining it isnt and that even if it was the advice would be for 12 weeks even sent him links from british thyroid association and hes telling me it's wrong because his mate on facebook told him otherwise.

I've been trying to keep up with the "vulnerable" list advice for personal reasons (non-chronic asthma) and as far as I can find out, the Govt said a few days ago that it MIGHT be issuing the 12 weeks advice in the future for vulnerable people (under 70), but it hasn't been issued yet. I also read somewhere that the NHS would be contacting those people as and when official advice changes.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Lots.That is both good and bad news.

Good: Lots of people have mild/no symptoms.
Bad: They can spread it to those who may suffer severe symptoms.

I'll post this in the Good News thread, but a new epidemiological paper on Wuhan has been released. It's not considered "live" yet, as it's not been peer reviewed. However, if it passes this review and is accepted, the numbers are very promising, eg:

The total number of infections (i.e. cumulative infections) estimated at 1905526 (95%CrI: 1350283-2655936) in Wuhan City, raising the proportion of infected individuals to 19.1% (95%CrI: 13.5-26.6%). We also found that most recent crude infection fatality ratio (IFR) and time-delay adjusted IFR is estimated to be 0.04% (95% CrI: 0.03-0.06%) and 0.12% (95%CrI: 0.08-0.17%), which is several orders of magnitude smaller than the crude CFR estimated at 4.19%.​

In short, the death rate for this could potentially be far, far lower than previously estimated.

Source >>> https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.12.20022434v2

However, that's still no grounds for complacency since it still has the potential to overwhelm health services with those who do require hospitalisation.

Thanks for posting that. We all need hope and that is an encouraging report.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I've been trying to keep up with the "vulnerable" list advice for personal reasons (non-chronic asthma) and as far as I can find out, the Govt said a few days ago that it MIGHT be issuing the 12 weeks advice in the future for vulnerable people (under 70), but it hasn't been issued yet. I also read somewhere that the NHS would be contacting those people as and when official advice changes.

It seems odd. You can find various news sources from the press conference on monday or tuesday. Some say the 12 weeks is from this weekend though I have also heard that the advice is yet to be given.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
d2f5b11ec81926ac1d3437768923f3c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If this chart is true, it makes you wonder just how many people in Brighton could have actually had this without even knowing doesn’t it? Given the fact we had the first outbreak in the UK and the so called ‘super spreader’, so many people I know have had coughs or sore throats recently.View attachment 121196
I hope I had it a few weeks ago when I had a sore throat. Doubt it though as no one I know has been ill

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"The if its on Facebook or Twitter, is not true" argument is pretty weak considering EVERYTHING including hard facts will circulate in the giant social medias. Its like twenty years ago when you found information on the Internet and your teacher said "its from the internet - never as true as anything written by some fat lazy money hoarding student litterature company". I mean yes, there is a lot of disinformation and bullshit on Twitter and Facebook but that doesnt mean everything posted there is categorically false.

Moving on:

"The number of confirmed cases in Germany has risen to 12,853, with the number of deaths reaching 34.

Politicians, police and prominent figures appealed to Germans to ‘stay at home’, or risk the introduction of curfews as in France, amid widespread evidence that many people are still not sufficiently reducing their movements to halt the spread of coronavirus."

"France has suggested extending a two-week lockdown to try to stem the spread of the coronavirus as the interior minister blasted “idiots” who flout home confinement rules and put others at risk, AFP reports."

More and more indicators that "advising" people or not go 100% with lockdown rules simply isnt enough, further convincing me that "full" lockdowns in every country is needed. A bit worried what how that could be efficiently done in Sweden, a country twice the size of UK and with a very low population density and a slimmed army. Still.. the faster the better.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Regarding panic buying, I like the principle adopted by a Danish supermarket as reported in the Daily Telegraph. They are selling one bottle of hand sanitiser for £5. A second costs £125.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Private nurseries are still charging parents 50% of fees even though they are getting funds from the government, nuts that they think people are going to be able to pay for what could be months on end hundreds of pounds for zilch. It will be interesting to see if government will pay everyone a set amount a month as they have talked about surely that be impossible amount of money to pay everyone, it would have to be means tested.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Private nurseries are still charging parents 50% of fees even though they are getting funds from the government, nuts that they think people are going to be able to pay for what could be months on end hundreds of pounds for zilch. It will be interesting to see if government will pay everyone a set amount a month as they have talked about surely that be impossible amount of money to pay everyone, it would have to be means tested.

I wondered what would happen on this front. I would be happy to pay a little I think if it kept people in jobs (but then I don't know if I will keep mine, so it's a conundrum).

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I wondered what would happen on this front. I would be happy to pay a little I think if it kept people in jobs (but then I don't know if I will keep mine, so it's a conundrum).

This is a problem I have right now. My wife is due to go back to work on april 1st after maternity leave, we have found a childminder and signed a contract with the little'un having her first settling in session a couple of weeks ago.

Wife works for Sussex police as a civvy and has been told if they are shut down then its unpaid leave.

The childminder is demanding full pay even though she is not allowed to take any children. If my wife isnt going to work then how are so supposed to pay her? And why should I pay her if it has been her decision to close?

Now with schools closed we have a 5 year old to deal with at home too.

I was looking at buying a house. Now my life is a financial stressful bloody mess

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is a problem I have right now. My wife is due to go back to work on april 1st after maternity leave, we have found a childminder and signed a contract with the little'un having her first settling in session a couple of weeks ago.

Wife works for Sussex police as a civvy and has been told if they are shut down then its unpaid leave.

The childminder is demanding full pay even though she is not allowed to take any children. If my wife isnt going to work then how are so supposed to pay her? And why should I pay her if it has been her decision to close?

Now with schools closed we have a 5 year old to deal with at home too.

I was looking at buying a house. Now my life is a financial stressful bloody mess

All you can really do is have a conversation with the child-minder with the aim of coming to some sort of compromise where you pay a bit but not full-rate.

If they refuse to do that, I'm not sure you have any choice but to give your intention to leave, pay for any notice period, and walk away. There are, and will be, other childminders.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Nobody is a winner here except the food producers/super markets and soap makers really are they, every single company in the UK seems to be going down the pan at the moment.

I have a holiday booked for end of next month and we are pretty certain it won’t go ahead but again, if that doesn’t go ahead, the travel and tourism industries around the globe are going to be absolutely ruined. Not just airlines but hotels, people who run excursions ect the knock on effects all around the globe are staggering.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Not even sure the supermarkets or retailers are winning. A boost from high sales currently but it wont last and in the meantime they are dealing with nightmare days.
I was chatting to a butcher earlier he had expected 3k worth of stock this morning. He got about £300 worth and has no idea what stock he will have tomorrow. Hes made decent money today but that's nothing if he now misses out on several days trade.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
89834856_10157462561169864_2458072056231624704_n (1).jpg

Swedish nurse currently in the "pandemics ward":
Safety glasses from a low-price building equipment retailer.
Surgical mask that at best prevents her from poking her nose.
Hair protection made out of garbage bags.

Days like these I question all of our four or five latest governments decisions to spend less on healthcare and more on chasing imaginary Russian submarines.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
View attachment 121199

Swedish nurse currently in the "pandemics ward":
Safety glasses from a low-price building equipment retailer.
Surgical mask that at best prevents her from poking her nose.
Hair protection made out of garbage bags.

Days like these I question all of our four or five latest governments decisions to spend less on healthcare and more on chasing imaginary Russian submarines.

That's definitely NOT how i want to see a Swedish nurse.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Social media and, to an extent, the news is causing all this mayhem. My military past and training is keeping my head straight. Panic spreading quicker than the Covid-19.

Very true shippers.

“People who panic make shit decisions, it never ends well” quote from Colour Sargent Wilkie RM - Norway 1984. Has always stuck with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here