Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I just hope that after all this when things do start to get back to normal we don't get hit with Covid-20 or 21. Apparently varying strains of this bugger of a virus are now possible in the future so lets just hope all the world's scientists can come up with something to reduce this possibility. My sister is a doctor in the B.R.I in Bristol and is now working 70 hours a week to provide a service. Well done to all our amazing medical staff at this trying time.

D

Deleted member 22389

Thanks for the message, glad I am not alone. Totally see the bigger picture and why this has to happen, just worrying times for everyone.

Definitely and completely understand your worry.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Town was quite busy yesterday - but probably 75% of people were clearly in the over 70 bracket, including those sat in the cafe having a 'group breakfast' of some sort, those in Costa and Nero etc etc and the one in Boots proclaiming she was 'self isolating because she has symptoms' but had 'come into town with her daughter to pick up a few bits and pieces' :shootself

The government was always going to have trouble controlling the boomer generation. Police need to be approaching them and sending them home.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
most of you will probably have friends or associates who , for a long time you may have suspected are a little bit dim......well this current situation will confirm or dispel your queries.......there are a lot of absolute weapons/nimrods/planks out there......ta ta.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Exactly my words as I was driving towards the entrance, without the F word in front of my mother lol. Crazy isn't it.

Jesus! White hair as far as the eye can see. They need to be forced to stay indoors. And people were having a fit because I was going for a walk and scone :) clueless

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Michel Barnier has tested positive.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Michel Barnier has tested positive.

Brexititis. Most of us have recovered from that.

I think PPF has it. With the worst side effects.

D

Deleted member 22389

Jesus! White hair as far as the eye can see. They need to be forced to stay indoors. And people were having a fit because I was going for a walk and scone :) clueless

What worried me more was the distance between them. My mum said no way, and I don't blame her. Crazy.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If this chart is true, it makes you wonder just how many people in Brighton could have actually had this without even knowing doesn’t it? Given the fact we had the first outbreak in the UK and the so called ‘super spreader’, so many people I know have had coughs or sore throats recently. C6FAA7C9-E99E-4570-BF15-B2459ACC6E0D.jpeg

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Deep in discussions with my brother in law who is really annoying me. Hes not grasping the advice and thinks he should isolate for 14 days from monday not because he has any symptoms but because someone on facebook told him thyroid problems are on the list for vulnerability.

Tried explaining it isnt and that even if it was the advice would be for 12 weeks even sent him links from british thyroid association and hes telling me it's wrong because his mate on facebook told him otherwise.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Deep in discussions with my brother in law who is really annoying me. Hes not grasping the advice and thinks he should isolate for 14 days from monday not because he has any symptoms but because someone on facebook told him thyroid problems are on the list for vulnerability.

Tried explaining it isnt and that even if it was the advice would be for 12 weeks even sent him links from british thyroid association and hes telling me it's wrong because his mate on facebook told him otherwise.
No good ever comes from Facebook.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If this chart is true, it makes you wonder just how many people in Brighton could have actually had this without even knowing doesn’t it? Given the fact we had the first outbreak in the UK and the so called ‘super spreader’, so many people I know have had coughs or sore throats recently.

Lots.That is both good and bad news.

Good: Lots of people have mild/no symptoms.
Bad: They can spread it to those who may suffer severe symptoms.

I'll post this in the Good News thread, but a new epidemiological paper on Wuhan has been released. It's not considered "live" yet, as it's not been peer reviewed. However, if it passes this review and is accepted, the numbers are very promising, eg:

The total number of infections (i.e. cumulative infections) estimated at 1905526 (95%CrI: 1350283-2655936) in Wuhan City, raising the proportion of infected individuals to 19.1% (95%CrI: 13.5-26.6%). We also found that most recent crude infection fatality ratio (IFR) and time-delay adjusted IFR is estimated to be 0.04% (95% CrI: 0.03-0.06%) and 0.12% (95%CrI: 0.08-0.17%), which is several orders of magnitude smaller than the crude CFR estimated at 4.19%.​

In short, the death rate for this could potentially be far, far lower than previously estimated.

Source >>> https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.12.20022434v2

However, that's still no grounds for complacency since it still has the potential to overwhelm health services with those who do require hospitalisation.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Also there is initial evidence that Blood Group A is more susceptible. That is 40% of the population.

Wait and see for scientific confirmation on that.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Also there is initial evidence that Blood Group A is more susceptible. That is 40% of the population.

Wait and see for scientific confirmation on that.

In what way is a post like this, no yet backed by the science, helpful to anyone? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here