Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Runny nose isn't a symptom though, is it?

It can be, there’s various reports of symptoms. Obviously the main ones are well known, obviously I’m not saying I had it probably just a little bit of a cold but nobody really knows.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
£330bn being made available for businesses needing access to cash. No interest payable for first 6 months.
Businesses with rateable value < £51k will get a grant up to 25k.
No business rates for 12 months for businesses in retail and leisure industries.

Mortgage lenders to offer 3 month mortgage holiday.

Remember the government is offering these load on "attractive" terms.... Nice to see them help businesses who will struggle over this period but to attach an interest rate (not yet known) is a bit sneaky.

However it is good to see the government has found a few money trees during all this. Always amazes how the government can always find money when they need to, regardless of whether we are in austerity or not. The 1 billion DUP payment was paid smack bang in the middle of austerity.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I have a friend who works in pathology and asked him why more testing can't be done The issue is that they have to send the tests off to get verified so they can't be done locally. He has only just been given a budget to buy the necessary equipment but it seems it will be a few weeks before they are ready.

FFS - they've had ages to prepare for this. Didn't they realise thousands of people will need testing? And tests are the only way to contain this thing. 20200318_042929.jpg

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
FFS - they've had ages to prepare for this. Didn't they realise thousands of people will need testing? And tests are the only way to contain this thing.

They were spurting out some guff about successfully slowing down the disease so that we could be better prepared last week. We’ve no ability to test like in South Korea so how are we going to track this thing properly and protect our vulnerable? Boris’ scientists just look scared and tired now as he attempts to ensure all the blame is on their shoulders as each press conference is undertaken rather than his.

The situation in this Country is following a traditional disaster movie plot.

We had our warning when the Super Spreader got back to the UK with the half dozen Brightonians infected in the doctor’s French chalet in France. Just like in Jaws after the first shark attack when Mayor Larry Vaughn wouldn’t close the Amity Island beach - we’ve kept our borders open as the ‘Herd Immunity’ tactic was pursued. The ‘model then changed’ and the government U-Turned. New Zealand acted quickly and shut the borders after 6 cases, will they saved any lives by taking this brave and decisive action?

If anything, a disaster is a test of Leadership. For the me, the Egotist (Trump) and the Egoist (Johnson) will have their single terms in office defined by this outbreak. I’ve seen nothing to date that has reassured me that next week, we’re not headed for the situation they had in Italy. We’ve watched this thing get out of control first in Asia and now in mainland Europe yet our government seems to be totally unprepared. The viral tsunami that originated in Asia has gained height if anything as it’s washed over Europe, the sea defences are non existent. It’s coming.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
They were spurting out some guff about successfully slowing down the disease so that we could be better prepared last week. We’ve no ability to test like in South Korea so how are we going to track this thing properly and protect our vulnerable? Boris’ scientists just look scared and tired now as he attempts to ensure all the blame is on their shoulders as each press conference is undertaken rather than his.

The situation in this Country is following a traditional disaster movie plot.

We had our warning when the Super Spreader got back to the UK with the half dozen Brightonians infected in the doctor’s French chalet in France. Just like in Jaws after the first shark attack when Mayor Larry Vaughn wouldn’t close the Amity Island beach - we’ve kept our borders open as the ‘Herd Immunity’ tactic was pursued. The ‘model then changed’ and the government U-Turned. New Zealand acted quickly and shut the borders after 6 cases, will they saved any lives by taking this brave and decisive action?

If anything, a disaster is a test of Leadership. For the me, the Egotist (Trump) and the Egoist (Johnson) will have their single terms in office defined by this outbreak. I’ve seen nothing to date that has reassured me that next week, we’re not headed for the situation they had in Italy. We’ve watched this thing get out of control first in Asia and now in mainland Europe yet our government seems to be totally unprepared. The viral tsunami that originated in Asia has gained height if anything as it’s washed over Europe, the sea defences are non existent. It’s coming.

It is. I effing have it (as certain as I can be without testing). I personally think everyone will get it sooner or later.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
You can get the test done for £375 at a London clinic. Ouch.

Of course you may then walk out of the clinic, and catch the virus on the germ infected tube on the way home. Double ouch.

D

Deleted member 22389

New coronavirus can persist in air for hours and on surfaces for days - Study from National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-study-idUSKBN2143QP

Obviously living in a city with little air flow and probably pollution didn't help the situation in Wuhan. That's answers my question as to why they are spraying the streets. I'm not an expert, but we do have to think about what surfaces we are touching, door handles, handrails, petrol pumps, gates and so on. Wash your hands and don't touch your face as the government tells us. That's also why NHS staff need full protection. Feel sorry for people on the front line, I really do. We can all do our bit, be sensible so we don't make their jobs even harder than they are now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Think today will be the day a majority of schools start to buckle.

I think there’s a good case for closing them now; it then gives school leaders time to put systems in place to support vulnerable kids and NHS family kids. I’m sure they’ll be able to find a way of allowing them into school with a select few teachers as required.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Cards on table:

1. I hate Johnson.
2. I want him to succeed.

But, the framing of this as 'a war' is more about playing to his Churchill fantasy than addressing the issues. However, there are parallels - just as with WW2 we've started this one under-prepared and vulnerable. We've had the wrong strategy (the nonsense about herd immunity) and we've hung around too long (perhaps seduced by our island nation instincts) when we could have been getting serious and preparing for the fight. At the moment we could even learn something from the 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' over the other side of the channel, where Macron has got a grip.
Perhaps our whole strategy has been shaped by the need for BJ's dad to be able to pop into his local for a pint?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think today will be the day a majority of schools start to buckle.

I think there’s a good case for closing them now; it then gives school leaders time to put systems in place to support vulnerable kids and NHS family kids. I’m sure they’ll be able to find a way of allowing them into school with a select few teachers as required.

You may be correct as seven teachers reported in sick today at the school Mrs Hut works

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Cards on table:

1. I hate Johnson.

But, the framing of this as 'a war' is more about playing to his Churchill fantasy than addressing the issues. However, there are parallels - just as with WW2 we've started this one under-prepared and vulnerable. We've had the wrong strategy (the nonsense about herd immunity) and we've hung around too long (perhaps seduced by our island nation instincts) when we could have been getting serious and preparing for the fight. At the moment we could even learn something from the 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' over the other side of the channel, where Macron has got a grip.
Perhaps our whole strategy has been shaped by the need for BJ's dad to be able to pop into his local for a pint?

I am almost certain that Johnson never used to walk with that stoop with his hands in his pocket just like Churchill used to.
If he is actually trying to mimic Churchill then he is even more of a mentalist than I thought.
If he appears in a Homburg, with a huge cigar and starts sticking two fingers up then he should be locked away somewhere secure.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
You may be correct as seven teachers reported in sick today at the school Mrs Hut works

Was just saying here that with my kids school down to about 20 to 40 percent headcount there must be a tipping point and it cant be far away

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Cards on table:

1. I hate Johnson.

Framing it as a war is the same as Macron and other world leaders.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Cards on table:

1. I hate Johnson.

Is the Macron you are on about who has “ got a grip” the same Macron who said “we are at war” with coronavirus in his address to the nation the other night ?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Cards on table:

1. I hate Johnson.

Macron gas been drumming it into the French people that they are at war. Does he have a Churchill fantasy?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Cards on table:

1. I hate Johnson.

We can't be at war, because NSC has told us that it is 'just the flu'.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But that doesn't suit the anti Boris gang
True. I am with [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] here in that I think it is inappropriate to take party lines in this situation. It is annoying to shift through the genuine posts highlighting problems with the govt strategy, and those that may contain valid points but which harbor resentment against Boris/the Tories. If this situation can't be compared to a time of war, then I don't know why. These measures and this virus leaves us in an unprecedented place, one that the modern first world has never faced before.

I am very disappointed in certain posters here, now is the time to pull together as much as possible, there should be no Labour, no Tory, no Brexiteer, no remainer. We are all in this together, Great Britain, Europe and the rest of the world, our common goal and our humanity should bind us together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here