Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
2000: Bisphenol A (BPA)
2001: Anthrax
2003: Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)
2006: Bird Flu (H5N1)
2009: Swine Flu (H1N1)

Here are but a few of the panics that have happened in the last 20 years, how many were called a pandemic and turned out to be nothing or only seriously effected very few people per % of population?
In the grand scheme of things I predict more people will be killed this year as a result of driving than of any of a number of flu/cold viruses/epidemics/pandemics.
Lets ban the car!! Oh wait they are already doing that by forcing everybody to buy an electric car which few can afford, even though it was only a few years ago that government "Experts" told us that diesel cars were better for the environment than petrol.

Chill out please. Ask yourself the first question that most investigators ask themselves, Who stands to gain from the incident?

Big Pharma? Bio-chemical organisations?
I for one will not change my habits or voluntarily lock myself away, if I get the virus and it turns out to be fatal then it was my turn.

Utterly selfish at best (and tinfoil hat territory at worst). What about anyone vulnerable you might pass it on to ?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have an expensive family trip booked to the US over Easter. I am not looking for sympathy here, but many people will be in a similar situation. I am hoping one or both governments, give me a get out clause. The possibility of spending hours flying to land in a controlled zone, with no public gatherings and everything shut down, does not sound like a memorable trip. I would be happy to stay at home in these circumstances. I am not for a minute suggesting government policy, should fit around my holiday arrangements, but from a selfish perspective, I would be grateful for the opportunity to cancel and rebook in happier circumstances.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
I’ve been fairly laid back about this, not joining in the NSC and public outpouring of concern.

But at this evening’s press conference, a UK mortality rate of less than 1% due to the virus was stated. 1% would be 650,000 additional deaths.

1,800 die on our roads each year.

Are you very confident of your prediction?

Of course I am, unlike a virus where any other viral infection can be included, as there is yet to be a definitive test for this particular Virus, please note that it is called Covid-19 because it is the 19th iteration of the virus.
With vehicle incidents death or serious long term injury is ever present, if there are fewer incidents then maybe because people choose to lock themselves up.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I’ve been fairly laid back about this, not joining in the NSC and public outpouring of concern.

But at this evening’s press conference, a UK mortality rate of less than 1% due to the virus was stated. 1% would be 650,000 additional deaths.

1,800 die on our roads each year.

Are you very confident of your prediction?

Although a death total was not given, the details were:

Top of the range 80% of the population will catch the virus, so 80% of 66m is 52,800,000 and 1% death rate is 528,000, Still a large figure.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Of course I am, unlike a virus where any other viral infection can be included, as there is yet to be a definitive test for this particular Virus, please note that it is called Covid-19 because it is the 19th iteration of the virus.
With vehicle incidents death or serious long term injury is ever present, if there are fewer incidents then maybe because people choose to lock themselves up.

Just stop now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have an expensive family trip booked to the US over Easter. I am not looking for sympathy here, but many people will be in a similar situation. I am hoping one or both governments, give me a get out clause. The possibility of spending hours flying to land in a controlled zone, with no public gatherings and everything shut down, does not sound like a memorable trip. I would be happy to stay at home in these circumstances. I am not for a minute suggesting government policy, should fit around my holiday arrangements, but from a selfish perspective, I would be grateful for the opportunity to cancel and rebook in happier circumstances.

I think by then the flights may be cancelled (and refunded), as this escalates in the UK. Is it a package deal, or have you independently booked your accommodation?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Although a death total was not given, the details were:

Top of the range 80% of the population will catch the virus, so 80% of 66m is 52,800,000 and 1% death rate is 528,000, Still a large figure.

That assumes hospital beds and ventilators are available for the millions needing treatment in that situation. (they aren't)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

reads like an Aphex Twin track listing

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Coronavirus / Covid-19

Here are but a few of the panics that have happened in the last 20 years, how many were called a pandemic and turned out to be nothing or only seriously effected very few people per % of population?
In the grand scheme of things I predict more people will be killed this year as a result of driving than of any of a number of flu/cold viruses/epidemics/pandemics.
Lets ban the car!! Oh wait they are already doing that by forcing everybody to buy an electric car which few can afford, even though it was only a few years ago that government "Experts" told us that diesel cars were better for the environment than petrol.

Chill out please. Ask yourself the first question that most investigators ask themselves, Who stands to gain from the incident?

I for one will not change my habits or voluntarily lock myself away, if I get the virus and it turns out to be fatal then it was my turn.

Another stupid ****

A higher proportion of Neanderthal DNA than most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Hello fellow conspiracy theorist.

"Its not dangerous, its made to profit big pharma"...

You can have one but not both.

If its not dangerous, it has already gone so far that we will loose confidence in our overlord Masons and seriously start questioning our scientists and decision-makers.

If its made to make profit, it needs to be dangerous. The way survivors etc that you know of and trust needs to be able to tell how painful it is. Because of the worries surrounding it, an unusual amounth of non-antivaxxers would say "nah thank you I think I let someone else try it first".

= if its dangerous, it will make profit. If it is not dangerous, it wont make profit or convert people into "forced vacc"-believers. So you cant have both.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The plan of the UK scientists is that the effects of the virus here are felt over months. So not everyone at once. With safer age groups etc asked to see it through at home.

Indeed, but I think this is aiming for a least worst outcome, not a best outcome. The maths is just horrendous.

Last night I did a quick and dirty spreadsheet based on my guess that there were 10,000 people actually infected in the country, with the infections doubling every 6 days, which is what it seems to be, give or take.

That gives 40,000,000 infected on May 22nd - sometime around when I think the experts today said the peak is going to be. Now, by then some will have had the virus and recovered and, sadly, some will have died. But due to the nature of the exponential growth of the spread, those numbers will actually be relatively small.

Now, as I say, this is very quick and dirty, and makes no allowances for how much the spread can be throttled back when greater social distancing tactics are brought into play, but I'm struggling to see how this can't be truly horrible.

I know I've been banging on about this for a couple of weeks now like some sort of crackpot - I so desperately want to be wrong.

Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 20.34.10.png

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The plan of the UK scientists is that the effects of the virus here are felt over months. So not everyone at once. With safer age groups etc asked to see it through at home.

And it’s a sound plan. Or as sound as we are going to get. It’s all a out reducing the pressure on health services and therefore saving lives.
There’s a lot of folks who are not seeing the big picture and think the only answer is to lock everything down immediately. A knee jerk reaction which would cause more damage over time.

Sometimes the only way to win the game is not to play.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

& You will pass it on to someone else. If it turns out to be fatal for them, was it their turn too?

please note that it is called Covid-19 because it is the 19th iteration of the virus.

Are you taking the piss? 19 refers to 2019.

If you are taking the piss, don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here