Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
*Disclaimer - actual mortality rate is of course much, much lower, as it has been confirmed (numerous times now) the majority of people who contract Coronavirus show no to mild symptoms, and therefore the majority do not present for testing.

**Disclaimer - many of those cases are still ongoing and not closed therefore the mortality rate could be higher (for known cases)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I did a lads trip to Slovenia in September. We flew to Venice and then drove through northern Italy to get there. The road Slovenian border is unmanned, or was then. But you can cross the border numerous times if you do a hill walk (at that time) or ski in the Julian Alps. The Italian ski resorts may be shut but the Slovenian ones will not be. You cannot lock down borders within the EU - it was one of the leaver's arguments.

I saw that and it was in a reply to me. I've watched it and a few thoughts occurred.

Firstly, this is obviously more serious than I first thought. I acknowledge and admit that. Not the first time I've been wrong but hopefully not in the BG league (RIP).

BUT

I find the comparison to the Second World War utterly insulting. WWII took young men in their prime and decimated them. It rained bombs on people in a totally indiscriminate manner. An entire race were attempted to be wiped out by gas chamber. None of that is what Coronavirus will do. Indeed, with sensible restrictions and some decent hygine I still feel quite bullish come what will be will be. I wouldn't feel like that if I was in a trench on the front line or imprisoned in a Japanese POW camp or whatever.

Why use such alarmist language? Because, of course, he has an agenda. They deal with it towards the end of the interview, to be fair, but with the wrong question. The question is not how much money he has available to make the vaccine now but what he stands to gain in the future. If he saves us from World War II that means a future of Nobel prizes and unlimited funding for his organisation. If he saves a few hundred octogenarians? Not so much. Sorry to be cynical but everything he says is in his interest to say.

To be fair GB, in context the interview led him down that path in a complementary way to the 'British spirit'. He suggested our staunch defiance in the face of the WWII is the kind of collective strength of spirit that could see us through the epidemic. It was more about an overall mentality toward it, i.e. not panicking, taking advice, looking out for each other etc.

The interviewer led him into the 'war-like' rhetoric regarding that mentality and approach. I didn't take his rhetoric or logic as anything but that of say a similar WWII saying of 'Stay calm and carry on'.

The comparison in all honesty was our civilian response to WWII rather than the conflict I thought. I didn't take it as alarmist, I thought most of what he said was quite reasonable and we have a track record of being able to implement and follow the procedures and recommendations without too much fuss.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I did a lads trip to Slovenia in September. We flew to Venice and then drove through northern Italy to get there. The road Slovenian border is unmanned, or was then. But you can cross the border numerous times if you do a hill walk (at that time) or ski in the Julian Alps. The Italian ski resorts may be shut but the Slovenian ones will not be. You cannot lock down borders within the EU - it was one of the leaver's arguments.

I saw that and it was in a reply to me. I've watched it and a few thoughts occurred.

Firstly, this is obviously more serious than I first thought. I acknowledge and admit that. Not the first time I've been wrong but hopefully not in the BG league (RIP).

BUT

I find the comparison to the Second World War utterly insulting. WWII took young men in their prime and decimated them. It rained bombs on people in a totally indiscriminate manner. An entire race were attempted to be wiped out by gas chamber. None of that is what Coronavirus will do. Indeed, with sensible restrictions and some decent hygine I still feel quite bullish come what will be will be. I wouldn't feel like that if I was in a trench on the front line or imprisoned in a Japanese POW camp or whatever.

Why use such alarmist language? Because, of course, he has an agenda. They deal with it towards the end of the interview, to be fair, but with the wrong question. The question is not how much money he has available to make the vaccine now but what he stands to gain in the future. If he saves us from World War II that means a future of Nobel prizes and unlimited funding for his organisation. If he saves a few hundred octogenarians? Not so much. Sorry to be cynical but everything he says is in his interest to say.

I never got that analogy with WW2 to that level tbh. I read that simply as all of society mobilising to fight and try and defeat a serious threat.

ofc youre right, it cannot compare to the real horrors of WW2 but didnt personally draw that type of comparison

He says he doesnt have an hidden agenda, and he also said he wasnt trying to hyperbolise it or over emotionalise it, so i'm inclined to take him at his word, though just like you, could be wrong :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I never got that analogy with WW2 to that level tbh. I read that simply as all of society mobilising to fight and try and defeat a serious threat.

ofc youre right, it cannot compare to the real horrors of WW2 but didnt personally draw that type of comparison

He says he doesnt have an hidden agenda, and he also said he wasnt trying to hyperbolise it or over emotionalise it, so i'm inclined to take him at his word, though just like you, could be wrong :shrug:

Saying “I don’t have a hidden agenda” is a bit like handing someone a cup of tea and saying “I’ve never wanked into that cup”.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Latest breakdown by local authority:

Brighton & Hove 8
West Sussex 3
East Sussex 0

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, they’re either worried enough to self isolate or they’re not. No good whingeing about nobody doing anything and then..... not doing anything.

If they think Johnson and the CMO are telling lies, go against their advice and lock yourself down.

Absolutely nothing stopping anyone getting the family in one house, taking the kids out of school, stocking up, calling in sick and going to ground.

Is there?

No, there isn't and it may well be sensible for some people. I've had an email from one the managers at work today who has a relative in a high risk group living with him. He's working from home till further notice and it looks like he's been completely supported in that decision by the company.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Coronavirus experts have been called in to a police custody centre in Sussex today (Tuesday).

https://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/new...SpNTKqX5CpGyYHuYFwMhOsHv56WS9XwGc7iSTPic2Z_a0

Sussex Police says it is currently working with Public Health England (PHE) after a detainee at the centre in Hammonds Drive, Eastbourne, reported feeling unwell.

This newspaper contacted the force after receiving information it was connected to coronavirus fears.

Responding to our enquiry, a spokesperson for Sussex Police said, “We are currently working with Public Health England and partners after a detainee at Eastbourne Custody Centre reported feeling unwell.

“We are unable to comment any further at this stage.”

It is understood the custody centre has not been closed.

No further information is available at this time.

According to the latest figures from PHE, 319 people in the UK have positive for coronavirus, or COVID-19. Six people have died.

The latest information, published on Monday (March 9), said there were no confirmed cases in East Sussex but three in West Sussex and eight cases in Brighton and Hove.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Coronavirus experts have been called in to a police custody centre in Sussex today (Tuesday).

https://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/new...SpNTKqX5CpGyYHuYFwMhOsHv56WS9XwGc7iSTPic2Z_a0

Sussex Police says it is currently working with Public Health England (PHE) after a detainee at the centre in Hammonds Drive, Eastbourne, reported feeling unwell.

This newspaper contacted the force after receiving information it was connected to coronavirus fears.

Responding to our enquiry, a spokesperson for Sussex Police said, “We are currently working with Public Health England and partners after a detainee at Eastbourne Custody Centre reported feeling unwell.

“We are unable to comment any further at this stage.”

It is understood the custody centre has not been closed.

No further information is available at this time.

According to the latest figures from PHE, 319 people in the UK have positive for coronavirus, or COVID-19. Six people have died.

The latest information, published on Monday (March 9), said there were no confirmed cases in East Sussex but three in West Sussex and eight cases in Brighton and Hove.

Erm.. where do you think Brighton & Hove is?

This is why people shouldn’t take gossip seriously. Chinese whispers, one little incorrect “fact” spreads like, well pick a simile :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
To be fair GB, in context the interview led him down that path in a complementary way to the 'British spirit'. He suggested our staunch defiance in the face of the WWII is the kind of collective strength of spirit that could see us through the epidemic. It was more about an overall mentality toward it, i.e. not panicking, taking advice, looking out for each other etc.

The interviewer led him into the 'war-like' rhetoric regarding that mentality and approach. I didn't take his rhetoric or logic as anything but that of say a similar WWII saying of 'Stay calm and carry on'.

The comparison in all honesty was our civilian response to WWII rather than the conflict I thought. I didn't take it as alarmist, I thought most of what he said was quite reasonable and we have a track record of being able to implement and follow the procedures and recommendations without too much fuss.

I watched it a day ago but doesn't the interviewer get him to reconfirm that statement, which he does? Apologies if not.

Either way the "keep calm and carry on" spirit can probably be taken to mean a few things. Stoic response to minor ailments so as not to block up hospitals? Probably. Keep on going in to work? Maybe. Run that marathon / go to that festival / travel about freely? Not on your nelly. "Keep calm and don't leave the house" is what a lot of people seem to be advocating.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
*Disclaimer - actual mortality rate is of course much, much lower, as it has been confirmed (numerous times now) the majority of people who contract Coronavirus show no to mild symptoms, and therefore the majority do not present for testing.

This is true with "normal" 'flu too, so anyone comparing the death rates needs to bear in mind that if you're adjusting the death rate for one to account for the unreported cases, you need to apply exactly the same methodology to the other (and therefore arrive back at the same factor of difference).

It is also a major problem in terms of trying to control the spread - those who have it, but don't present with serious enough symptoms to seek medical attention can become very dangerous to those they are in contact with. All the more reason that a safety-first approach to self-isolation and social distancing in general is sensible practice rather than the overblown hysteria that some would have you believe.

I couldn't forgive myself if my grandparents-in-law (in their 80s), my parents (70s) or mother-in-law (at very high risk due to previous respiratory issues) caught it via me even if I'd been taking every reasonable precaution, let alone if I'd been blasé about it...

On the bright side, as the risk grows, it's a great reason to 'self isolate' myself from the mother-in-law in general :clap:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Brighton & Hove 8
West Sussex 3
East Sussex 0

So 0.003% of the residents of Brighton and Hove have the virus.

I suspect that the 99.997% are pleased that gully and the other mascots have been stood down from matchday duties to keep us all safe from infection.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Erm.. where do you think Brighton & Hove is?

This is why people shouldn’t take gossip seriously. Chinese whispers, one little incorrect “fact” spreads like, well pick a simile :)

The Joy's of the unitary authority within east sussex but classed separately. Rather like the UK in Europe but almost out of the E U

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
This is true with "normal" 'flu too, so anyone comparing the death rates needs to bear in mind that if you're adjusting the death rate for one to account for the unreported cases, you need to apply exactly the same methodology to the other (and therefore arrive back at the same factor of difference).

It is also a major problem in terms of trying to control the spread - those who have it, but don't present with serious enough symptoms to seek medical attention can become very dangerous to those they are in contact with. All the more reason that a safety-first approach to self-isolation and social distancing in general is sensible practice rather than the overblown hysteria that some would have you believe.

I couldn't forgive myself if my grandparents-in-law (in their 80s), my parents (70s) or mother-in-law (at very high risk due to previous respiratory issues) caught it via me even if I'd been taking every reasonable precaution, let alone if I'd been blasé about it...

On the bright side, as the risk grows, it's a great reason to 'self isolate' myself from the mother-in-law in general :clap:

If you suggestion on undiagnosed cases is right and I think it may well be the situation is worse on death rates because the number of undiagnosed flu cases will be much greater than the coroavirus equivalent.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
So 0.003% of the residents of Brighton and Hove have the virus.

I suspect that the 99.997% are pleased that gully and the other mascots have been stood down from matchday duties to keep us all safe from infection.

Actually, to be fair, that's the % of residents of Brighton and Hove who have been identified, tested, and tested positive.

Unless everyone who has the virus in B&H has been tested, then there are likely more people with the virus than that, although hopefully not many. The obvious worry is those people who have it, don't know, and are in danger of spreading it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1237390130471522311[/TWEET]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I watched it a day ago but doesn't the interviewer get him to reconfirm that statement, which he does? Apologies if not.

Either way the "keep calm and carry on" spirit can probably be taken to mean a few things. Stoic response to minor ailments so as not to block up hospitals? Probably. Keep on going in to work? Maybe. Run that marathon / go to that festival / travel about freely? Not on your nelly. "Keep calm and don't leave the house" is what a lot of people seem to be advocating.

I thought he said social distancing, hand washing, self isolating and these types of things maybe enough if done collectively? He didn't really appear to be advocating shutting schools, or cancelling events if we keep some discipline.

I felt he was saying this thing isn't going to go away that fast, so we can't just shut down and stick our heads in the sand. He seemed to be advocating what we're currently doing.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
SARS is a coronavirus not a flu and I agree with you (and also get vaccinated), that flu severity alters depending on strain/year.

But we get some form of vaccination and we have some form of immunity. Big difference when compared to Covid19

Are you stating as fact that the current flu jab has no effect on Covid-19? If so, please point me in the direction of the study.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Brighton & Hove 8
West Sussex 3
East Sussex 0

This is what I don't understand, seeing as Brighton was the very place in the UK to report COVID19, with the doctor's surgery in Hollingbury closing.
You would expect a large number of people in Brighton to have it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here