Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought he said social distancing, hand washing, self isolating and these types of things maybe enough if done collectively? He didn't really appear to be advocating shutting schools, or cancelling events if we keep some discipline.

It's still hyperbole then. There's nothing Blitz Spirit about washing your hands.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is what I don't understand, seeing as Brighton was the very place in the UK to report COVID19, with the doctor's surgery in Hollingbury closing.
You would expect a large number of people in Brighton to have it.

My question is whether more people have it than have been tested, or whether it's just simply not something which warrants the wall to wall coverage.

Of course, there's always a chance that we'll get more cases when Italians living here come home (etc) - but it does fuel my scepticism a little bit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My question is whether more people have it than have been tested, or whether it's just simply not something which warrants the wall to wall coverage.

Don't look at media coverage (I don't) - seek out experts in this field that have no newspapers to sell and no interest in hyperbole.

I simply can not comprehend how anyone can still be trying to even suggest that this is all a bit of a fuss over nothing and media hype.

Re: the numbers. Known cases are still low. It is absolutely the case that there will be many more people with it than we know about, primarily because those who do go on to become symptomatic can take 5-7 days, and sometimes a few more, to do so. During this time they are likely to be highly contagious, risking all they come in contact with.

Because known cases are low, there will be variance of all kinds in the data, including geographically. As these numbers grow, and they will, then the data will begin to normalise.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Don't look at media coverage (I don't) - seek out experts in this field that have no newspapers to sell and no interest in hyperbole.

I simply can not comprehend how anyone can still be trying to even suggest that this is all a bit of a fuss over nothing and media hype.

Re: the numbers. Known cases are still low. It is absolutely the case that there will be many more people with it than we know about, primarily because those who do go on to become symptomatic can take 5-7 days, and sometimes a few more, to do so. During this time they are likely to be highly contagious, risking all they come in contact with.

Because known cases are low, there will be variance of all kinds in the data, including geographically. As these numbers grow, and they will, then the data will begin to normalise.

Personally wouldnt look at twitter either

Sends you the other way as you seem to be right now

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
News update: Bloke on messageboard reckons China, South Korea, Italy and half the world is over-reacting.

italy.jpg

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I'm just not buying it. I know you're concerned about it, but I really can't find it in me to think it's anything more than a flavour of the month story which will inevitably be out of the news as soon as something else happens. Obviously the numbers are terrible in Italy, and they've got some serious questions to answer about how they've struggled so badly to contain the spread.

It seems to me that the biggest threat to the UK is people coming home infected, which is definitely something to worry about - but so long as people coming back from Italy, etc, keep themselves to themselves for two weeks then the danger has passed, right? I just think that the coverage of the story should be to wash your hands, if you're feeling ill get tested but also bear in mind that if you're otherwise healthy and not over 60, you're going to be absolutely fine. Stay away from elderly relatives and anyone with a compromised immune system, but you're hardly a threat to yourself or anyone else.

Sadly for me, my Nan passed away in October. If she were still with us, I'm sure I and my family generally would be more worried because you never want a loved one to die of anything, let alone something they could be protected from. But the odds are in your favour in terms of being able to avoid it.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
All Forest team to be tested today.

Match at Massive on Saturday must be under a serious question mark.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Are you stating as fact that the current flu jab has no effect on Covid-19? If so, please point me in the direction of the study.

Unless someone has invented time travel it is physically impossible to vaccinate against a flu strain that hasn’t occurred yet. To male the vaccine you need to have access to the strain you are immunising against. The race is now on to have a vaccine ready for next winter as this strain will still be around for the foreseeable future. As a nation we do not have the ability to generate our own vaccine so don’t hold your breath.

In years where the flu has been more of an issue is normally down to the strain not being covered by the vaccine that was given. Some years they include more than one vaccine, also the vaccine action last for ten years.

The above is from a conversation with a gp friend. I may have misunderstood, it is not FACT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Unless someone has invented time travel it is physically impossible to vaccinate against a flu strain that hasn’t occurred yet. To male the vaccine you need to have access to the strain you are immunising against. The race is now on to have a vaccine ready for next winter as this strain will still be around for the foreseeable future. As a nation we do not have the ability to generate our own vaccine so don’t hold your breath.

In years where the flu has been more of an issue is normally down to the strain not being covered by the vaccine that was given. Some years they include more than one vaccine, also the vaccine action last for ten years.

The above is from a conversation with a gp friend. I may have misunderstood, it is not FACT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand the logic in this, however we are now being told that in China they have been using anti-viral drugs that were produced to combat Ebola (and SARS), which are largely working - from what I have read.

I'm guessing it's different in that vaccinations are preventative in the first place, rather than drugs which are presumably being used to lessen symptoms once someone has already been diagnosed as having COVID?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here