Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is Covid-19 a variant of flu?

Excuse my humourous hyperbole. That is pretty much exactly how it was described by the super spreader. Obviously deaths and serious illnesses will happen from time to time but many people will have very mild symptoms.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Probably already been posted:
How did Dean Koontz know about the Coronavirus 39 years ago? How did he know that it would be created in Wuhan, the place in China where it originated from? It would appear that our friend Covid-19 was created in a lab in China and has been unleashed on the world. There was a doctor in China who knew about this early on and Chinese authorities did their best to keep him quiet. He died from the virus. Is the Coronavirus China's solution to the over population of their country and the planet??

As a conspiracy theorist I say anything is possible. The official version could be true. It could be some kind of internal Chinese coup. Some accident or some experiment to see the current levels of obedience and control. Everyone who leaves home during lockup registered, maybe.

And it could be like in that book. At some point overpopulation is going to be solved, you dont need massive workforce nowadays and when the elites dont need us, we're dead. Its quite likely carefully planned and a lot of people probably know a lot, hence why you can write books that accurately predict future developments. Its not just guesses, people know shit and its global. Koontz could be one. The "people who know shit" are in China as well, the Zhi Gong party.

That said we tinfoil soliders need to be careful with facts if we are to recruite to our army: that last picture is from some other book written in like 2012 or something.

Personally I actually believe this virus official "story" to be at least mostly true, but you never know.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How did Dean Koontz know about the Coronavirus 39 years ago? How did he know that it would be created in Wuhan, the place in China where it originated from? It would appear that our friend Covid-19 was created in a lab in China and has been unleashed on the world. There was a doctor in China who knew about this early on and Chinese authorities did their best to keep him quiet. He died from the virus. Is the Coronavirus China's solution to the over population of their country and the planet??

Snopes says this theory is mainly false.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dean-koontz-predicted-coronavirus/

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The Guardian and BBC are simply reporting the information given out by the Chinese authorities. Sorry, but that's not really proof.

To be honest, I don't know, or care

A friend sent it through a psychobilly whatsapp chat group, so I thought it must be true obviously & why not....

what's the worst that can happen :fishing:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
90 cases out of a UK population of 66 million? Absolutely ridiculous level of hyperbole :shrug:

90 *known* cases. There will be a lot more unknown, and I don't think we've had today's update on known cases yet, have we?

Out of interest, given the exponential-ish rise of this to date, and the highest-level medical professionals in the country saying this could be caught by up to 80% of the UK population, what number of cases will see you back down and say "fair enough - it wasn't hyperbole after all"?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Some of the things said on here include:

Covid-19 is no worse than flu (i.e it’s a cold FFS, MTFU);
children don’t get the virus and therefore don’t pass it on;
you are more likely to die going for a drive than catching Covid-19; and
Etc.

If all the above were true then I would understand people's astonishment the amount of concern Covid-19 is generating and their apparent reluctance to accept the measures that are being taken/proposed.

However these points aren’t true.

CuPSc8tWYAAUa3D.jpg

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

the first page is American and the second the grammar is English

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To be honest, I don't know, or care

A friend sent it through a psychobilly whatsapp chat group, so I thought it must be true obviously & why not....

what's the worst that can happen :fishing:
I think you've missed the entire gist of my posts :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dear God, are we already at the level of trawling through old fiction to find conspiracies?

Read enough books and you'll find stuff that fits almost anything. Iain Banks' The Business and its similarities to Facebook or Amazon, dystopian novels based on disease or zombies meaning we have to start all over again, almost anything in political thrillers. It's fiction but we naturally base it on what is known around us.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Apologies if fixtures but an Albion-related query, could the club do anything (ethically) to prevent Alireza Jahanbakhsh going to Iran for their game at the end of the month? This assumes that goes ahead which I appreciate is an open question in and of itself.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
No idea and neither do you.

However, you seem to be focussing on mortality rate per people who have actually caught the virus. The whole concept of being more likely to die in a motoring accident is because many more of us will drive a car this year than catch covid-19. In terms of actual numbers, as stated yesterday, more people die in cars every day than have died in the total outbreak thus far. If you think it's likely that the total number of infections will equal exactly the total number of people in the world eligable to drive then your example would make sense. Currently it doesn't.

Well I have an idea of how many 55 year olds would die from Covid-19, as we have an idea of the mortality rate, which is around 1% for this age group. So I have an idea around 10 would die.

I also know that in 2019 the fatality rate per billion vehicle miles was 5.6.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...485/road-casualties-year-ending-june-2019.pdf

Therefore, around 2 billion vehicle miles would need to be driven to result in around 10 deaths.

So, for 10 of the 1,000 drivers to die as a result of driving they would have to each drive 2 million miles.

To do that in a year, each of the 55 year olds would have to drive at almost 230 mph 24/7 for 365 days.

On that basis I would say Covid-19 is more deadly than going for a drive, particularly considering the likelihood of catching Covid-19 is high if we don't do anything.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

The last page that refers to "2020" looks like a different book/font. It was the daily mail/express that ran this story.

The famous Dr who died from the virus Dr Li.Wenliang, was tried to be silenced by the authorities, but there is absolutely no record it was for discovering some secret bio weapon. I agree the sexed up version makes a more compelling tale, but the reality was far simpler.

He was an opthomologist, who witnessed SARS in 2002/3 and when he started seeing patients with similar symptoms, all he did was warn fellow health professionals in a private hospital WeChat group, what he'd seen and that they may want to take extra protective precautions.

As WeChat and all social media is monitored he got a visit the next week by the police, was arrested and forced to sign a retraction admitting the offence of "spreading unsubstantiated rumours that disturb the public order" ..... He was silenced by the authorities for simply warning colleagues he was observing something in patients with SARS like properties.

It became a huge public backlash against the authorities once the truth was out and he then died.

But he wasn't silenced for revealing a bio weapons program.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here