Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Get your essential items now, loo roll, milk, microwave meals, vodka

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I’m not worried for myself but my wife has bad asthma and I am worried for her.

I think it’s going to get pretty bad for less healthy people and businesses

Panic buying? Nah

Same as that. My wife too has asthma and I worry for her.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No given the “reasonable worst case” scenario model of 500,000 dying in the UK from Corona virus.

I think my point is that, whilst we don't know the eventual outcome, it doesn't serve well to dredge up worst case scenarios. It's important to reassure folk that steps are being taken if it gets bad, but the some just thrive on stoking fear.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Not worried for me directly but I have people close to me with other conditions who could be hit by it so me.getting it could have disastrous knock on effects for them

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Get your essential items now, loo roll, milk, microwave meals, vodka

Shhhhh ! When I suggested picking up a few basic extras for the cupboard a few days ago I was told off !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I very much doubt that, medicine is run as very profitable business in the USA, they are not going to start giving free healthcare when there is suddenly a huge demand for their services, more chance of Trump supporting Obamacare.

its much more complex than the common conception, there's for-profit, not-for profits, state funded services, community and government services. private does not mean for profit, which is a minority. the problem is its disjoined, layers of cross-payments and variable between states (and litigation insurance on top of it all). the main reason for lack of testing in US is lack of facilities licensed/setup for the tests, which are complex genome analysis.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Are you worried about getting Coronavirus ?

Bearing in mind the news conference today with Boris and the 2 experts said worst case scenario 80%, 50 million of the population might get it and 4%, 3 million would be hospitalized

Are you stocking up with essential items in case the whole nation is housebound for a few weeks ?

All because some wrongun shagged a Pangolin up the rear in the far east, maybe

How do you see this thing panning out the next few months ?

Not worried for myself, just family.

You really can see the best and worst in other humans at such times. Selfless, knackered medical professionals doing their level best for others vs sick profiteers wiping all shelves of hand sanitizers (that families, old people, kids will need).

In some instances today I've seen out of stock everywhere £3.50 suoerdrug product is being sold for between £50-£99 on eBay/Amazon.... and 59p Lidl product for £18..... the selfishness to try and financially profit to such exorbitant levels, as others can get nothing, is truly sick.

Screenshot_20200303-212531.jpeg

Screenshot_20200303-212726.jpeg

Screenshot_20200303-212638.jpeg

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

You really can see the best and worst in other humans at such times. Selfless, knackered medical professionals doing their level best fit others vs sick profiteers wiping all shelves of hand sanitizers (that families, old people, kids will need) and in some instances today I've seen £3.50 suoerdrug products are being sold for between £50-£99 on eBay/Amazon.... and 59p Lidl product for £18..... the selfishness to try and financially profit to such exorbitant levels, as others can get nothing, is truly sick.

Sadly, It's not unexpected though.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

You really can see the best and worst in other humans at such times. Selfless, knackered medical professionals doing their level best fit others vs sick profiteers wiping all shelves of hand sanitizers (that families, old people, kids will need) and in some instances today I've seen £3.50 suoerdrug products are being sold for between £50-£99 on eBay/Amazon.... and 59p Lidl product for £18..... the selfishness to try and financially profit to such exorbitant levels, as others can get nothing, is truly sick.

Can`t agree. It`s the mugs paying for the exorbitantly priced products who are to blame. If I could sell a fiver for £50 I would......any takers ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not worried for me directly but I have people close to me with other conditions who could be hit by it so me.getting it could have disastrous knock on effects for them

That's where I am too, as I posted on the main thread on this subject a day or so back.

Personal concern - very little.
Concern for others, and wider society for a period of time - quite a lot.

I went for a run in Worthing today that took me along the seafront through the middle of Worthing. The number of frail old people I saw (no surprise in Worthing etc etc) who must be absolutely shitting it based on the statistics of deaths based on age should this spread as the experts are suggesting is all but inevitable.

Also as posted elsewhere, however, this Vox piece is broadly positive about things, I thought: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I think my point is that, whilst we don't know the eventual outcome, it doesn't serve well to dredge up worst case scenarios. It's important to reassure folk that steps are being taken if it gets bad, but the some just thrive on stoking fear.

If painting the worst picture is the way to get people to actually change their habits to prevent it happening then that’s fine with me.

Those burying their heads in the sand and pretending everything is fine will be the ones that make the situation worse.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Can`t agree. It`s the mugs paying for the exorbitantly priced products who are to blame. If I could sell a fiver for £50 I would......any takers ?

You're a fine human being Diablo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here